Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Dreaming about that perfect bird cage?

Be careful what you wish for.









This is my third cage from Wayfair. The first was ok. A couple of bent bars which I bent into place.

The back of the second was like a banana. After putting my weight on it I build it anyways and you can't tell. There is a cm of paint missing I hid with a perch.

Here is the third as you can see it was not packaged all that well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Be careful what you wish for.









This is my third cage from Wayfair. The first was ok. A couple of bent bars which I bent into place.

The back of the second was like a banana. After putting my weight on it I build it anyways and you can't tell. There is a cm of paint missing I hid with a perch.

Here is the third as you can see it was not packaged all that well.
I would be careful about the chipped paint it could lead in the paint and you would not want your bird picking at it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Yes true this was my thought because my birds seem to have to put their mouth on everything, they taste the toys and the bars. I was supposed to get this cage a long time ago. The box got here and looked like it was dropped down some stairs. I talked to the company which said they would send a new one. I described the box because usually this bird cage is shipped with white cardboard corners which reinforce the box, also there are usually three white straps. This box is identical to the last. It has no reinforcements and only one plastic strap. Last week the company Purolator said they fix the box and redeliver. The company Wayfair denied this charge however look at the tape all over the box.

I keep getting my hopes up. The day of the first delivery I was so happy that my little Loki would finally have her cage. She is in a temporary cage (she is new) and this should have arrived before she got here. Today I was happy expecting my new cage. I really am sad seeing Loki on the same perch day in day out. No room to fly or explore. They seem to have taped up the box I refused and brought it back.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Yes true this was my thought because my birds seem to have to put their mouth on everything, they taste the toys and the bars. I was supposed to get this cage a long time ago. The box got here and looked like it was dropped down some stairs. I talked to the company which said they would send a new one. I described the box because usually this bird cage is shipped with white cardboard corners which reinforce the box, also there are usually three white straps. This box is identical to the last. It has no reinforcements and only one plastic strap. Last week the company Purolator said they fix the box and redeliver. The company Wayfair denied this charge however look at the tape all over the box.

I keep getting my hopes up. The day of the first delivery I was so happy that my little Loki would finally have her cage. She is in a temporary cage (she is new) and this should have arrived before she got here. Today I was happy expecting my new cage. I really am sad seeing Loki on the same perch day in day out. No room to fly or explore. They seem to have taped up the box I refused and brought it back.
I bet the delivery person threw the box around. This is a big problem with UPS , the delivery people just throw things around and not give a damn what happen to what in the box. can you buy one from a pet store and bring it home yourself? If the cage was made in China it most likely will have lead in the paint.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
I wonder if I can have the paint tested for lead somewhere not to costly. I can't get this cage where I live unfortunately I would have to drive hundreds of miles. In the States you can probably get a good cage for not much.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
I wonder if I can have the paint tested for lead somewhere not to costly. I can't get this cage where I live unfortunately I would have to drive hundreds of miles. In the States you can probably get a good cage for not much.
You can buy a lead tester kit.. I bet you can buy it on line and hope it does not get broken during the delivery
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
You can buy a lead tester kit.. I bet you can buy it on line and hope it does not get broken during the delivery
LoL

The worst part of broken stuff is when you call the store and they say something like. "We have a very low rate of broken or faulty goods" I ordered three cages the first came with a black bottom by accident on a white cage. The second came bent like a banana because someone obviously did not understand what "THIS SIDE UP" means. Seems like the cage was flat with a heavy box on it. The third is the one above. So from what I can see 3 out of 3 with a problem is not a good statistic. I am either very unlucky or someone is lying, I wonder?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:55 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Well guess what the replacement cage has arrived DAMAGED. Correction this is the replacement of a replacement cage. So I called up because even with two cages parts I can't build one undamaged cage. . (they have three weeks to pick up the cage parts I dont use after) I asked them what is the base of the paint because the chips on the paint are on the outside. Well its a lead zinc base. The guy says that some organization states that these levels are safe for birds. I saw one of my birds licking the bars. I though Canada and the states did not allow lead paint on these kinds of things anymore. There can't be a level of lead SAFE for birds in my opinion. Thanks for the heads up now I have to start saving and buying cages elsewhere. I wish I would have found this forum sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Well guess what the replacement cage has arrived DAMAGED. Correction this is the replacement of a replacement cage. So I called up because even with two cages parts I can't build one undamaged cage. . (they have three weeks to pick up the cage parts I dont use after) I asked them what is the base of the paint because the chips on the paint are on the outside. Well its a lead zinc base. The guy says that some organization states that these levels are safe for birds. I saw one of my birds licking the bars. I though Canada and the states did not allow lead paint on these kinds of things anymore. There can't be a level of lead SAFE for birds in my opinion. Thanks for the heads up now I have to start saving and buying cages elsewhere. I wish I would have found this forum sooner.
I send you a message , I hope it worked.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
It says I have zero messages, maybe it will come in later or it's not where I think it is. I'm new at this and a bit slow finding my way around. By the way the guy was suggesting I use something called Baby face to touch up the cage. I have decided that being that I used the best pieces from both cages and I have two chips on the outside of the cage to leave them the way they are for now. I'm trying to order lead testing kits from the company suggested by a consumer guide but for now the company hasn't answered me. I need to find out if my birds will be getting sick from this. They look fine now as they have so many toys and treats and things to chew on. Hopefully the one time bar licking I saw will not repeat itself.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
It says I have zero messages, maybe it will come in later or it's not where I think it is. I'm new at this and a bit slow finding my way around. By the way the guy was suggesting I use something called Baby face to touch up the cage. I have decided that being that I used the best pieces from both cages and I have two chips on the outside of the cage to leave them the way they are for now. I'm trying to order lead testing kits from the company suggested by a consumer guide but for now the company hasn't answered me. I need to find out if my birds will be getting sick from this. They look fine now as they have so many toys and treats and things to chew on. Hopefully the one time bar licking I saw will not repeat itself.
I am new at sending messages too and your message to me is now gone ??
I was able to find some web sites for stainless steel bird cages .

I found the link below but it is not cheap. I suggested looking for eBay or one of those web sites people sell things to see if anyone is selling a stainless steel bird cage . Or you could try putting an ad up and see if you have any luck .


http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...27&cagpspn=pla
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 2nd, 2012, 07:04 AM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Budgies require one half inch bar spacing. The cage they show has more space. I'll keep looking around and reading more about bird cages. I do think that birds with full wings as opposed to clipped have less contact with the cage. My two new girls have clipped wings from the store and are constantly climbing on the bars. I hope their wings grow out soon. Meanwhile I will add more chew toys.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Budgies require one half inch bar spacing. The cage they show has more space. I'll keep looking around and reading more about bird cages. I do think that birds with full wings as opposed to clipped have less contact with the cage. My two new girls have clipped wings from the store and are constantly climbing on the bars. I hope their wings grow out soon. Meanwhile I will add more chew toys.
It is going to take some time for their wings to grow back. I just looked it up and one web site said it could up to a year to grow back. I once met a woman that bird was laying eggs and the woman was upset that the eggs where not hatching. I asked if the bird was married and the woman did not know what I meant! I guess no one told the woman about the birds and bees as she did not know she needed a male bird too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Thats a funny story. I guess this explains why even the birds I had a few months didn't get all their wing feathers back yet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Thats a funny story. I guess this explains why even the birds I had a few months didn't get all their wing feathers back yet.
We had a bird and my mother did not tell anyone the bird was out of his cage so when I opened the door to go into the house our bird flew out the door never to be seen again. We did not clip his wings.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
It's sad to lose a bird like that. I have made a bird room so I shut the door when I let a bird out. Mostly only one of my birds is a bit tame. It's really been hard to tame them because I have cats but I like them just the way they want to be. Oddly enough my cats love them too. It's funny because when we didn't have birds my cats would look out the window and make a funny noise when a bird landed on the balcony. I learned that the noise was actually the cat practicing to break the birds neck cleanly.

When I got my birds the first time I tried to take him out of a box and put him in the cage he got loose. My male cat wanted to chase and eat him but my female cat saw it upset me and chased the male cat away. I didn't have my bird room then. I cleaned out a small room for them because the female had another occasion to save the bird unfortunately.

At first I wondered about why she was defending a bird. Then one day and she is nearly 12 now (we are not sure of her birth date but got her 11 years ago) she did something strange. A bird landed on the porch and instead of her usual sound a kind of clicking she mewed softly to attract my attention to the bird.

We've had the birds for a few months and now my cat stopped an 11 year habit. She is confused about the birds outside now. The two males do not click at my birds but continue to click at the birds outside.

Did you know that many people find budgies outside and adopt them? Your bird may have been rescued by a kind heart. Putting a cage with food outside is the easiest way to rescue a bird before winter when you see them outside (for indoor pets escaped).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
It's sad to lose a bird like that. I have made a bird room so I shut the door when I let a bird out. Mostly only one of my birds is a bit tame. It's really been hard to tame them because I have cats but I like them just the way they want to be. Oddly enough my cats love them too. It's funny because when we didn't have birds my cats would look out the window and make a funny noise when a bird landed on the balcony. I learned that the noise was actually the cat practicing to break the birds neck cleanly.

When I got my birds the first time I tried to take him out of a box and put him in the cage he got loose. My male cat wanted to chase and eat him but my female cat saw it upset me and chased the male cat away. I didn't have my bird room then. I cleaned out a small room for them because the female had another occasion to save the bird unfortunately.

At first I wondered about why she was defending a bird. Then one day and she is nearly 12 now (we are not sure of her birth date but got her 11 years ago) she did something strange. A bird landed on the porch and instead of her usual sound a kind of clicking she mewed softly to attract my attention to the bird.

We've had the birds for a few months and now my cat stopped an 11 year habit. She is confused about the birds outside now. The two males do not click at my birds but continue to click at the birds outside.

Did you know that many people find budgies outside and adopt them? Your bird may have been rescued by a kind heart. Putting a cage with food outside is the easiest way to rescue a bird before winter when you see them outside (for indoor pets escaped).

I use to feed the crows and the birds would wait for me and when they saw me outside with my dog the crows would get excited and start clawing. I had to stop feeding the crows as where looking for me at 5:30AM
and one of my neighbors said the birds where waking her up. Animals are way smarter than we give them credit for.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM
kittiesandbirds kittiesandbirds is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 92
Did you ever see the show about crows by David Suzuki The Nature of Things. When that show passed on TV my cat Nike watched the whole show. We had filmed him and put it up on you tube sitting in a chair his head going back and forth following the crows, it was really funny. Unfortunately when we took it down the computer it was in gave out.

In that episode they showed how crows broke their nuts by dropping them so the cars would run them over, then recuperating them when the lights were red. They would bring them to the where the lights were because they knew the cars would have to stop, they had learned this through observation.

I have a whole family of blue jays here and they scream at around 7, I really hope the neighbors don't complain.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Did you ever see the show about crows by David Suzuki The Nature of Things. When that show passed on TV my cat Nike watched the whole show. We had filmed him and put it up on you tube sitting in a chair his head going back and forth following the crows, it was really funny. Unfortunately when we took it down the computer it was in gave out.

In that episode they showed how crows broke their nuts by dropping them so the cars would run them over, then recuperating them when the lights were red. They would bring them to the where the lights were because they knew the cars would have to stop, they had learned this through observation.

I have a whole family of blue jays here and they scream at around 7, I really hope the neighbors don't complain.
No , I did not see that show, but that is so clever of the crows to do that . I can't hear the birds unless I am wearing my hearing aid, so they do not wake me up. I never heard of the the show 'The Nature of Things'. I don't think it in my Comcast plan.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.