Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old August 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Sweethellcat

Geriatiric, Diabetic Cat

Hello everyone. I am new here and joined because I am worried about my cat. Scucci is almost 13 and has had diabetes for about 7 years. His diabetes has been controlled very well; however, I know that he is getting old and that he is on borrowed time.

Lately I have noticed that he smells of urine. Yesterday and today he was wobbly, almost drunk-like (I immediately adminstered corn syrup and he perked up). Hypoglocemia is extremely abnormal for him. He also has diarehha a lot lately, and is generally more apathetic. Of course, I am going to take him in to see the doctor, but I am just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

I am wondering if these are signs that he is in the final stages of his illness so that I can emotionally prepare myself.

If anyone can offer any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

ps- He was at the vet for a routine check-up a few weeks ago and his sugar was normal at that time. The Dr. said he was doing remarkably well, but had already lived past his life expectancy.
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Sammi

That's very sad , How is his diabetes controlled? Insulin or diet?
If insulin, did your vet advise any changes in units given, being as the BG was normal at last visit? He might be getting too much? but speak to your vet ASAP before messing with dosages.

Lets hope that the vet can help. I don't think that anyone can "prepare themselves emotionally", even though we all try.

I've met alot of people that want to euthanise their cats when they are told that they're diabetic. You however (in my opinion) have been a wonderful friend to Scucci for being there for the 7yrs of illness. Respect to you

Let us know what the vet says and remember that this board has numerous people that will be there for you if you need us.
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:49 PM

Corn Syrup

Hello,

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a question.

Quote:
(I immediately adminstered corn syrup and he perked up)
Could someone tell me why give corn syrup? how would it work? and how much was given?

Thank you.
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board Springheadpen.

I'm only guessing, because this is a very old thread and the members who posted here haven't been back for a very long time, but this cat was diabetic and perhaps had been receiving too much insulin. The insulin lowered the sugar levels in his blood to dangerous levels and the corn syrup corrected that temporarily.

However, if you have a cat that is diabetic, or that you think is diabetic but it has not yet been diagnosed, please consult a vet before administering anything sugary to your cat!! Just like in people, giving sugary things to a diabetic can be extremely dangerous. Your vet can advise as to what to watch for and how much to administer in a crisis.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree Hazel. The OP knew her cat well after 7 years of diabetes and recognized the signs of a low blood sugar, so the corn syrup would correct that. I see in another thread that your cat is diabetic, do not give sugars until your vet has treatment well in hand and you know what you are dealing with. Good that you are asking questions though. It's the only way to learn.