Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 31st, 2012, 10:39 PM

Cat lovers - please help with advice!!!

Hello,
My name is Marina. I am TICA registered breeder of Highlander cats (not Highland lynx). I guess I am the first one in Canada. Highlander is the mix of 3 wild hybrids with one of them being Highland lynx. I have 2 sirs and 2 queens and working on the 1st litter expecting our first kittens to arrive in the beginning of this fall.

I would really appreciate some advice not related to my catery. Some time ago I saved a cat as his owner was going away and thought to put him to sleep. This unfortunate cat is very beautiful, all black, huge domestic shorthair. He always lived indoors and now he is around 5.5 years old. Opposite to his appearance his temper is not very pleasant. He is extremely independent and doesnít like to be pet, he can bite and scratch, he hisses if he doesnít like something and he sometimes sprays. He was neutered but as my vet explained the process was not successful and he is fully capable to reproduce. I have managed to deal with his biting and scratching and even thought to let him stay in my house but unfortunately he is not good with animals either and in spite of all my efforts he doesnít accept Highlanders, especially boys (they now reached their reproductive age too). I have to let him go. I donít think I will be able to put him for adoption as he is antisocial towards people and other animals. I donít want to exercise the last option Ė put him to sleep. Could you please let me know if other options are available. I would appreciate it greatly.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:29 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Has he been health checked? Blood panel done? Urinalysis? If he is not feeling well that may be why he is spraying and not social with your other cats. There are a lot of things that can be done for this cat besides euthanizing. You could consider building him his own little shelter/enclosure in your backyard.

My advice would be to get the cat neutered if your vet feels he is still able to reproduce. It's a pretty simple procedure. The last thing we need if you opt to let him go is more cats around if he is indeed intact. There are millions of cats being killed yearly because there are no homes for them now.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Just a thought...the Edmonton Humane Society has a program called Barn Buddies, they adopt out the cats that are unadoptable due to temperment, house soiling etc to people who live in the suburbs with barns or large buildings, farm areas or to people who own warehouses for "mousers". Maybe this could be an option for you, I also think that if it is possible to correct the neuter to do so. My
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Just a thought...the Edmonton Humane Society has a program called Barn Buddies, they adopt out the cats that are unadoptable due to temperment, house soiling etc to people who live in the suburbs with barns or large buildings, farm areas or to people who own warehouses for "mousers". Maybe this could be an option for you, I also think that if it is possible to correct the neuter to do so. My
I will add to your . I was going to suggest this too , a barn cat sounds like a good idea. One of my neighbor has an outside cat , and boy that cat is quite a little hunter. He had a huge rat in his mouth one day. I wish we could have cats in my condo as we have mice .
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:38 AM

Hi there,
I greatly appreciate everybodyís help in this. I started to look at options to place him at the farm and already have couple people interested to take him as a barn cat. It will really suit his nature the best. I have made a lot of research before making this decision and at some point I almost gave up as I found very interesting and chilling article (I am going to publish it separately). The link is
http://therealowner.com/pets/how-to-...-unwanted-pet/
After reading it I came to the conclusion that the best would be to find farm people that are known by my friends, not just total stranger and it seems working so far.
Once again, my great appreciation for your advices.
Marina