Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Proud Mommy!

Unhappy 1.5 year old rescue adoptee is nipping at 3 y/o unprovoked - what to do?

I feel terrible about this. After months of considering it we finally went ahead and adopted loveable lab mix from the local Humane Society. He is unimaginably sweet with me and my husband, very affectionate and cuddle and so loyal.

However, with my 3 year old, he nips at her. He has yet to actually bite her, but i'm worried that it is in the future.

Originally I thought she was doing something to him to encourage his behaviour, since she's 3, but the last couple times she was with me and petting him int he same manner as I was and he suddenly head turned and nipped at her. He nipped enough to take the nail polish of her nail, but not enough to leave a mark.

It has gotten that my 3 year old is increasingly apprehensive of him and will only pet him from an extended far away distance and only when I am.

We got the dog to add to our family and provide a companion and friend for our daughter and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

I've contacted to human society for advice, we've only had him for 2 weeks. 1 week of fostering and 1 week since adoption was finalized.

Any advice or guidance is appreciated. This little guy has been abandoned once already, we love him, but want him to be a safe and happy addition to our family.