Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM

Diarrhea and low protein

I have an eight year old Bernese man dog, she's had diarrhea on and off since January 2012, recently the vet recommended a blood count and found that age has low protein. Not sure if the low protein and diarrhea are related but has anyone have similar issue with the diarrhea? The vet also recommended science diet sensitive stomach, we currently give proplan. Thanks in advance for your advise.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:17 AM

I would be concerned about infection (tick diseases, pathogenic E. coli, etc) with a low protein count, or perhaps an enzyme deficiency - something like EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency).

The above can cause chronic diarrhea and nutritional deficiencies.

I would want to get a copy of the blood test results and look for yourself to see if any of the values in the blood count portion are near the high or low ends of the range.

The diet recommendations for Protein Losing Entropathy are in the second post in this thread, given by Sabine (she is a nutritionist): http://www.ourdogsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28135
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:34 AM

Diarrhea and low protein

Thank you so much for responding. I will try to get a copy of the blood test results. Also the vet said no infection because the cell ct are normal. I've been giving her rice and boiled chicken, but will also look into the link you've given, thanks for sharing. I'll research into the EPI as well. I just hope the episodes of diarrhea will stop, it's definitely not pretty sight, and am sure not very comfortable either.
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:49 AM

I am a big believer in trying no-chicken. The dog I was asking about in the other thread was helped quite a bit by getting off of all chicken. Not a cure, but maybe a help.

Infection is tricky...
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM

Just heard back from the other dog owner that had low protein. In that case, it was a combination of a chicken allergy, infection require beytril/cipro, and a B-12 defiency.

Again, can be a nutritional thing from an enzyme deficiency, or a couple of tick diseases like the ehrlichias or anaplasmosis.