Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 1st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

cat not drinking enough - any solutions

Hi members!

Our 7 year old Sphynx cat doesn't seem to be drinking enough. She eats wet food 3x a day and we add a bit of water to the food, but we rarely see her drink lately.

She seems fine (eating, playing, grooming ) though her stool is somewhat hard due to the lack of water I'm sure. We have started giving her water in a syringe but she's not fond of that.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a cat to drink more? Thx!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Most cats get sufficient water from their canned food. I've never seen my Sweet Pea, Rose or Puddles (until now, she has CRF) drink water. I, like you, add a bit of water to their food just to be sure.

My Jasper, on the other hand, drinks a couple of times a day.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko some kitties love the water fountains. I tried it here but it did not go over well with mine. I have a friend who has 2 cats and they love it! just a thought!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Out of my 4 kitties (all on 100% wet diet), Aztec is the only one that drinks daily from his bowl, and that's 'cause (like Puddles) his kidneys aren't fully functioning anymore. Carrot maybe drinks a couple times a week, Peppercorn, a couple times a month, and I haven't seen Cinnamon Girl drink water in ages. But here are some tips for encouraging more water intake:
  • don't put the water bowl next to the food bowl if you leave food out (I can't remember why exactly, but I think it has something to do with cats getting distracted by the food when they go to drink and they end up eating instead).
  • put out several bowls of water in various places, especially on fairly well travelled routes (so as they walk by, they go "hey look! there's some water! Maybe I'll take a sip.").
  • freshen up the water in those bowls at least twice a day. Use filtered water if possible.
  • thoroughly clean the bowls regularly. They can be prone to forming an off-putting slimy film otherwise.

For specific occasions when you want a cat to take in more moisture (like to treat constipation), something like plain chicken baby food with several additional tsps of warm water added can help. The juice from a can of lower sodium salmon or tuna (also with more water added) is another trick.

Some cats like water fountains (and there are a ton of different styles out there these days) and some don't. Some just use them to play in, sprinkling water everywhere like they're at a water park. They can also be rather high maintenance (the fountains, not that cats. Wait, I that back - cats can be high maintenance too) as they need frequent cleaning or they too will develop that slimy film mentioned above.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM

You guys are awesome and have allayed some of our fears. Great suggestions - thanks so much
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:14 AM

your Sphynx cat

Hi Marko,

True enough that if your cat is on a wet food diet, she may not drink very much water, as the water intake comes from the food itself.

I am not very familiar with the Sphynx breed, asides from knowing that they need special attention to their skin, being almost hairless. And that they need baths on a weekly basis...could she be drinking while she bathes?

You mentioned that your cats stools were a bit 'dryer' than usual, it does happen with some of my cats when the seasons change, beginning summer and winter, I usually see a difference for a few weeks, and then all goes back to normal... being a Sphynx, how is her skin/coat? This could be a clue to her general health condition...

As for me, some of my cats really enjoy drinking, they have two fountains, 5 water bowls, and the never ending leeking tap in the kitchen... But still, some of my cats dont seem to drink at all, as I never see them go to a ''watering station'' (I work from home, so I see what they are up to!).

Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact the breeder from whom you got your cat and explain the situation to them (unless yours is a rescued Sphynx...), but breeders are usually very helpfull in helping out, even if your cat is 7 years old, I am sure they would be happy to help out, and hear about the cat you got from them!

Please keep us posted on the situation, and best of luck with your little lady!

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
  • don't put the water bowl next to the food bowl if you leave food out (I can't remember why exactly, but I think it has something to do with cats getting distracted by the food when they go to drink and they end up eating instead).
  • put out several bowls of water in various places, especially on fairly well travelled routes (so as they walk by, they go "hey look! there's some water! Maybe I'll take a sip.").
  • freshen up the water in those bowls at least twice a day. Use filtered water if possible.
  • thoroughly clean the bowls regularly. They can be prone to forming an off-putting slimy film otherwise.
Those are some great suggestions - thank you!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM

Thx for the extra info SR - Twiggy is a rescue. The only recent change was the 5 or 7 dental extractions a about 14 days ago. Since then she's drinking less than ever...BUT, now that I think of it...doh! She was getting kibbles in the morning and wet food 2x a day. Since the surgery, she eats wet food 3x daily and I think we'll keep it that way. So she IS getting more water in her food an extra time each day - I just wasn't sure that it compensated for us not seeing her at the water dish recently.

Thx again!
Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
...her stool is somewhat hard due to the lack of water...
Quote:
It is important to understand the function of water and fiber in the whole process, and what poop is and is not, so that constipation can be treated and prevented as effectively as possible. It is especially important to read about the gut bacteria and their role in bowel health. The best treatment for a constipated cat is a caring human who has a general understanding of gut workings. Feline Constipation.org
Marko, IMO this reference/educational site is the best thing since sliced bread. An easy read, nicely balanced between

(I have a feeling that, since she's stopped the kibble, she may be missing some dietary fibre content...you can solve that by adding some plain pumpkin, not the pie-filling type, into her wet food...read more about fibre here. Another possibility is that, if she had an opioid pain killer for her dental, it may have caused the hard (read: dry) stool (hopefully, she didn't get a NSAID).
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM

As sugarcatmom mentions, make sure you keep the food bowl and water bowl separate as cat's often don't like drinking near to where their food is served. And as mentioned many cats prefer drinking running water.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 14th, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Edited out promotional link
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the extra info - much appreciated. No worries on the food and water dishes being too close.

Twiggy gets served like a queen on her throne. The water dish is in another part of the room.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter