Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM

Need help with my cat. Looks like something burst..

I found this cat about 11-12 years ago. Some idiot placed her in a cage and put her on rail road tracks. I was walking my neighbors dog and he found her. I was just a 13 year old kid then but now something is wrong. She had a bump on her belly just between her two front legs. Anyways yesterday I noticed when she got up she left what looked like a pus stain with a tiny bit of blood on the light colored area where she sleeps. Here is a picture of what I found when I inspected her...

Name:  IMG_20120421_013045.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  187.6 KB

It almost looks like a hole. I'm gonna try and get her into the vet tomorrow even though I can't afford it but was wondering if you guys could help me out with now? Look familliar?

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 21st, 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: fixed pic link
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:07 AM

Hi geeb welcome to the forum

From the picture it looks like the bump was an abscess and has now opened, you would be correct that was pus that came out. If you can place a just-warm, but not hot, washcloth on the area for a few minutes at a time it should help to drain some of the infection out.

A vet visit is a must especially with a remaining hole of that size, the vet will want to flush out the wound and clean it up a bit more and decide if any further treatment is required.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; April 21st, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Just another quick question about how much would such a thing cost from the vet? Hopefully, what ever the cost is they'll allow me to do it in payments.

Also what would cause this? A while ago she tried to jump on a really high dresser but missed and fell and hitting something on the way down in the area where the bump formed. Might that of been a possible cause? This happened maybe 2 months ago.
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:27 AM

Cost can vary widely depending on your area but I'd say likely in the neighbourhood of $100, that of course is not a quote just a rough guideline. Your vet may also wish to give antibiotics to ensure your cat can fight off any further infection. Many vets are willing to do payment plan options to ensure the animals are able to get the car they require.

As for the fall from the dresser it's possible there was soft tissue damage that resulted in an abscess forming there. The most common cause of an abscess is a fight with another cat, other possibilities could include insect sting/bite, a wood sliver from the furniture etc

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Some Vets will give you an estimate of cost before they go ahead with treatment. Just like with your car. Here's hoping it is well within your means.

How lucky you found this kitty those years ago. Methinks I'd be using a stronger word than "idiot."
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM

Just a thought about not being able to afford a vet: you will find a way to do it.

My husband and I are facing a huge bill for our cat's dental surgery and have no means to pay it. After spending a day on the phone with different organizations that provide credit to people seeking veterinary help, and some charities that also provide money, my parents made a generous offer to loan us the money.

My point is that somehow, for the sake of your precious animal, you will make it work.

I don't know if the above-mentioned organizations work with smaller amounts of money like the $100 mentioned below, but here are a couple of links.

PetCard provides credit and works directly with your Veterinary Clinic, who has to be registered with them.

Here is a list of links to other organizations that provide aid. Most are American only, but it's worth going through them as some make exceptions for Canadians.
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM

Not sure if my vet is terrible or not but not happy with what happened. Just to simply look at her the cost was $69. All they did was weigh her (I have a fat 13 pound kitty) and take her temperature. Then the doctor came in. Took a really quick look and had a very quick feel and squeezed a bit out of pus out and gave her a shot of Convenia (maybe not the correct spelling) and said there was a lump and said it had to be removed and sent me home with a $928 charge for removal if I decide to do it.

I'm not sure how it works but shouldn't they have cleaned the wound or bandaged her up or something? I just felt everything was about the money instead of about my cat and trying to scare me suggesting euthanasia if I don't get it removed. The whole ordeal happened in 5-10 mins.

Also he told me the wound should be healing and stop pussing by Monday/Tuesday with the shot.

These are the charges should I get it removed.

Growth Excision $347.50
Histopathology - Tissue Biopsy $152.90
IV Set up $97.00
Complete Blood Count (cause she is an older cat) $49.50
Comphrehensive Serum Chemisty/Electrolytes $127.00
T4 $48.00

I have no idea what the last two are for.
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM

Geeb, I had the exact same reaction to the dental work that my Zoe needed. I would recommend calling around to other clinics - most can't give you an estimate without seeing your cat, but some will give you a ballpark figure over the phone. Or if you live in the city, try clinics outside the city as these are often more reasonably priced. As to the treatment you got at your vet, $70 is a pretty standard fee (and unfortunately it'll cost that much every time you seek a second opinion).

It might be that you may just have to come to terms with the amount of money that the necessary treatment costs. In that case, I would recommend looking at the links I gave earlier or calling your local humane society/spca for ideas - mine was helpful.

As to not wrapping the wound, wounds often need exposure to air to heal properly. This may be the case for your kitty.

Hope this makes you feel better... I totally understand what you are going through right now. These numbers are daunting.
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM

From my own experiences yes the vet should've cleaned the wound especially after expressing more of the pus out.

Any time my pets have had an unexplained lump the vet suggested and did a fine needle aspirate first to check to see if it has cancer cells before suggesting removal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeb View Post

Growth Excision $347.50
IV Set up $97.00
T4 $48.00

Comprehensive Serum Chemistry/Electrolytes is an additional part of the blood test to check for levels of: protein, potassium, calcium, creatinine etc all to check to make sure the levels are within normal for a healthy older cat or determine if there are existing health concerns.

T4 is also an additional part of the blood test to test specifically for Thyroxine levels which is a Thyroid hormone commonly elevated in older cats that can cause issues if not treated.

Definitely a good idea to do all pre-operative blood work first, I would however phone around to other clinics in your area for lump removal surgery quotes especially if you are not comfortable/happy with this vet/clinic

Old April 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From the picture it's difficult to tell where the abscess is but is it by any chance where a nipple would be? If so please consider the fact that your cat may have a mammary gland tumour. Is she fixed? Also, just down and to the left of the abscess it looks like a nipple (or another nipple) which looks a little dry and flaky. Just wondering if the vet mentioned the possibility at all?

FYI - $69 isn't that outrageous for a vet visit. Seems about middle of the line to me. If you haven't taken your cat in for quite some time then no, I don't find it out of line.
Also, please keep a very close eye on your cat and the area of the Convenia injection. As the name suggests it is given because it is "convenient". I refuse it for all but the feral of my cats as I would rather not take the chance of something going wrong. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=convenia

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeb View Post
Not sure if my vet is terrible or not but not happy with what happened. Just to simply look at her the cost was $69. All they did was weigh her (I have a fat 13 pound kitty) and take her temperature. Then the doctor came in. Took a really quick look and had a very quick feel and squeezed a bit out of pus out and gave her a shot of Convenia (maybe not the correct spelling) and said there was a lump and said it had to be removed and sent me home with a $928 charge for removal if I decide to do it.

I'm not sure how it works but shouldn't they have cleaned the wound or bandaged her up or something? I just felt everything was about the money instead of about my cat and trying to scare me suggesting euthanasia if I don't get it removed. The whole ordeal happened in 5-10 mins.

Also he told me the wound should be healing and stop pussing by Monday/Tuesday with the shot.

Growth Excision $347.50
IV Set up $97.00
T4 $48.00

The problem is that it is likely not about the money. This type of Vet thinks he is doing a great job and he probably is in his eyes. This type of Vet doesn't even think about your costs. He is just a medical robot performing expensive tests and providing solutions based on his programming. I'll bet he has a fancy spottlessly clean clinic and a half dozen pretty assistants, receptionists, billing staff, etc.

I'll take an old fasion country Vet any day. One whose clinic looks like it is in a warzone. One who actually thinks it is important to spend some time with you and that it is not a race. One who is not afraid to just put out an educated guess as to your cats problem and then tries a solution and tells you to come back in a week if the condition doesn't improve.

My current Vet's waiting room looks like my living room, not dirty but not spottlessly clean (lol). There are 2 dogs and a cat that wander freely through the clinic. They are strays that he took in and can't bear to send to the shelter. Sometimes there is a playpen with babies in it behind the reception desk. Real babies, his kids, his wife is his receptionist. His assistant is not young and pretty, rather old and experianced. Every one is friendly, concerned, and helpful. On rare occasions he will do a blood workup that costs me $85 not $285 as some Vets charge. I get a computer printout of the workup and he sits down end explains everything on it line by line. This workup is done in house and is ready in about 20 minutes (while I am still there).

There are other Vets in the area, some are like the ones you describe, others are like mine.

You need to find a new Vet.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM

maybe this vet

You are in Ottawa...
have you tried the Alta Vista Animal hospital, they are usually good with prices, and I like to recommend them, since they offer their services for free to the cats on Parliament hill. Now that you have the diagnostic as to what needs to be done, maybe they could help you out. Perhaps they can also offer payment plans.

2616 Bank street, Ottawa, ON K1T 1M9
(613) 731-6851

Best of luck

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat