Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM

Bump on my mini dachshund's face, pics

Hi, my local vet is closed today (Sunday), and I just noticed that my 7 y/o miniature dachshund has a rather large bump on her face.

It's about half way between her left eye and the left corner of her mouth. It actually feels like bone. It does not seem to be connected to the skin. I felt around in her mouth (as much as she would let me) to make sure there wasn't some food stuck in there. From the inside it feels as though the bump starts just behind/above the upper gum at the back of her mouth, outside the teeth.

It does not seem to be causing her any pain, and fiddling with it elicited no painful reactions. It's not disturbingly big (yet) and if she had a similar bump on the right side of her face I might have passed it off as part of her cheekbone. But when viewed from the front or top, her profile is quite clearly asymmetric.

The following are links to pictures of her face. They were the best I could get as she just won't stay still for me!

Here is the bump looking at the left side of her face:
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...tside_bump.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...side_bump2.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...side_bump3.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...side_bump4.jpg

Compare to the following pics of the right side of her face, notice the difference in where the light shines on her fur:
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...ide_nobump.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...de_nobump2.jpg

From the front:
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...nt_profile.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...t_profile2.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...t_profile3.jpg

From the top (these tell the story the best):
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...op_profile.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...p_profile2.jpg
http://bluehost.mattseng.com/images/...p_profile3.jpg

Thanks so much for any advice. I will be making an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but it's killing me not knowing what to think of this.

== Matt
Old January 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca Matt

It may be an abscessed tooth. Definitely should be looked at by your vet so glad you are making an appt. Good luck and please keep us updated.
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Skylar's Farm

Many years ago I had a German SHepherd with a similar swelling, his bump was from an infected molar tooth root at the back of the mouth. Vet did an extraction, gave antib pills and the dog was just fine.
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Thank you guys for your replies. I know not to count my chickens yet, but you've at least given me some hope where before there was only racing questions.

This dog already had the ever-common dachshund disc-slip (actually a burst disc). It was a terrible few days for her and us. But the University of Illinois Veterinary Hospital did a fantastic job with her and she made a full recovery in less than a year and has been fine ever since. So since then I've always worried about her perhaps more than is good for me. But perhaps with any luck my local vet clinic, or ultimately the vet hospital can work their magic again.

Thanks again.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM

The vet wasn't sure what the bump was. Said it didn't really seem like a regular abscessed tooth, because it's too hard. She gave us antibiotics for a week and said to report back any changes. Of course it could be a cyst. But I'd be lying if I said the C word wasn't in the back of my mind.
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:26 PM

After a week of antibiotics the bump hasn't gotten any worse, but not much better either. It might be a tiny bit smaller... maybe. But it's hard to tell because the skin around it is fairly loose, so from the outside it tends to look slightly different depending on how the skin lays.

We took her back to the vet who said that it is possible that it's just an infection, but that it may be way down at the root (which is basically what I thought an "abscessed tooth" actually IS). Doesn't seem like much more of a diagnosis than before, but she sent us home with 4 more weeks of antibiotics.

Outwardly, the dog still seems fine. Normal behavior.
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM
-

I'm sorry to hear that you still don't have a positive diagnosis. Did your vet give you the same antibiotic again? If it still doesn't help I would consider getting a second opinion. Good luck.
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM

Previous days I kept thinking to myself that the bump has been looking a tiny bit smaller, but it was hard to tell. Today it's noticeably smaller. When looking at her profile from the top down, the bump no longer protrudes past the profile of her eye (reference the top-view pictures in first post). I'm still a little scared that smaller doesn't necessarily mean better (who knows what's actually going on in there). But the bump definitely seems to be going away. So I guess that's all I can hope for, considering we never had a solid diagnosis in the first place.

The antibiotic is called Baytril (22.7mg tabs, 1.5 tabs daily). She gave us the same stuff the second time around, although she changed the directions to 3/4 tab twice daily. The vet may have done this because we reported a couple instances of vomiting (which isn't TOO unusual, happens occasionally). So I don't know, maybe it was upsetting her stomach a bit.

Last edited by mmseng; January 19th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Hi

I was just wondering how your dog is doing ? I just notice a similar bump on the right side of My Chihuahua Dachshund mix.
Old April 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM

I have a similar problem with my dachshund.. A lump on her right side of the face bellow her eyes ... Just like the one above ..

the photo where taken two days after it first appear and now its been a week and I think it got bigger..

Should I take her to the vet now or just give her an antibiotic too??

Thanks in advance..
Old April 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM

mmseng, how is your Dachshund doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janee View Post
Should I take her to the vet now or just give her an antibiotic too??
Yes, you should take her to the vet.

Giving an antibiotic on your own is a really poor idea. You should never, ever "just give her an antibiotic". Not only are you likely unfamiliar with which antibiotics work against which bacterias, you are also unlikely to know the proper dosage and time line for dosing. If you pick an unsuitable antibiotic, or unsuitable length of time, not only could you create antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains you could also poison your dog. Antibiotics designed for pets are often smaller dose per pill than human antibiotics so the risk of overdose is much less. Antibiotics also need a prescription, so acquiring them would require a vet visit anyway.
Myka - Nov 1998 to Jan 2010 - 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier cross
Lacy - Sept 1992 to July 2003 - 18 lb Reg Shetland Sheepdog
Old April 8th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Janee, even if you have the abx there, it's a good idea to work with a vet on this. I often administer certain drugs on my own to my dogs, but I always bring the dog in and confirm with the vet what is going on.

It's possible that infections in certain areas can indicate larger problems, and a vet should know those things. That lump below the eye, it's just a weird spot for there to be an infection if there isn't a larger cause, like a tooth, etc.

I see that this thread was started awhile ago, would sure love to know how the dog is!
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:50 AM

Hi.. I have followed your advices and went to the vet.. I should have gone to the clinic earlier but it was the holidays .. So the lump had gotten worse when we got her checked out..

The vet said it was abscess or an infection with pus.. They gave her antibiotics too and some cream to make the lump softer so he could take out the infection .. but since the lump got bigger, my dog may need surgery if the cream and the antibiotics doesn't work in a few days.. If only we did get her to the vet very early on they could take it out easily..

So right now, we're just following the prescription and will go back to the clinic after a few days of observation... Hoping the medications work and we don't have to put her through a surgery...
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:09 PM

Sure do hope that she responds, and quickly!

Thanks for letting us know. I wonder if a warm cloth soaked in something like epsom salts would help draw the infection out? I don't think she's like it very much though!
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:22 AM

Updates?
Old April 16th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Hi..

.. So last friday , we saw the lump growing .. we've thought that the cream / medicine aren't working and it may have turned into a cyst.. so we decided to take her to the vet next morning for that surgery...
but.. later that night..
my dog popped the lump all on her own.. .. as if it was just like a pimple!
I just saw her wiping her face on her bed.. and I saw blood all over- I thought she had nosebleed or something.. but the lump receded..
.. we just let it bleed , clean it .. it became a wound..
.. the vet advised to keep on the medication and she'll be fine.. and no need for surgery. We just have to be careful now to prevent other infections.

I just realized the original post was a year ago.. I just found this thread on google so I could talk to somebody.. so thank you to all of you~

here she is now..

Thanks again ~
Old April 16th, 2012, 09:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad it's draining! Hope she has a quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:48 AM

Oh wow, so glad that it drained!

Glad you found us
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM

That's so much better when it drains itself!