Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 8th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Litter box problem

Last year, we adopted a kitten from the SPCA. We have two others, both males...please see the lost and found under missing cat ....who we have had with us for seven years.

The problem we are having with our girl is that she does not EVER bury her own feces, although she does bury her urine. She has never had a problem using the litter box, and we first thought that perhaps this is something to do with the fact that she is a girl, and that maybe she would grow out of it. We have tried all different cat litters, thinking maybe the odour had something to do with it, but that hasn't helped. Before we moved, we always had the litter box in the exact same place, she was with us for thirteen months before we did move, so it is not a matter of confusion. We also ALWAYS keep it clean. Even if she is the first to use it after a cleaning overhaul, she still doesn't bury it.

Can anyone give me any advice? Or is this something that we will simply have to live with?

Thanks in advance
Donna Marie
Old November 9th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, some cats just do not bury their waste. Sex and age have nothing to do with it, and it's nothing you are, or are not doing.

You can try gently taking her paws and showing her what to do, but there are no guarantees she'll take the hint.

If you try this, make sure you are extremely gentle with her and talking softly to her. The last thing you want to do is frighten her when she is in the litter box!

If you only have one litter box, you might try adding another - no way of knowing if that will help, but if you have more than one cat you should have more than one box.
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay I'm gonna add little humour to the situation

Doesn't it make it easier for you to find to scoop out!!

HAHAHHAHA

Luba
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the advice Lucky.....I did try coaxing her to bury, but that didn't seem to work. I am ALWAYS gentle with her...she is my sweet princess, but she is very sloppy. She has done this always, since we first got her. She was the sole user of the litter box, as my boys would always go in my garden. I just wonder why she buries her urine, but not her feces.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM

UPDATE

We went and got her a new litter box. It has a grate tray (lit has "holes" in it) which comes about halfway down the litter box. You put litter on the bottom and cover the top of the grate. It also has a ridge around it. For whatever reason, this seems to have done the trick and she is now burying her feces about 90% of the time.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Just goes to show you, the cat is the queen and you better learn to live with it!
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1john44
Just goes to show you, the cat is the queen and you better learn to live with it!
LOL Is she ever!!!
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:38 PM

My daughters cats name is lazy and boy is he. If he is on your lap and you go to get up, when you pick him up and lay him down, he doesn't move! Now this cat is only 6 months old, so it isn't that he is old! When my daughter will pull her blanket out from under him so she can go to bed, he simply rolls with it, and falls back asleep as he is, no re-adjusting himself! He knows we will cater to his ever whim, and he thrives on it!!!1
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:27 PM

^HAHA Thank goodness....I thought it was just because she was female.....my boys were NOTHING like her.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Really? Every boy cat I have ever had has been lazy, and the females are little queens. Major attitudes!
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1john44
Really? Every boy cat I have ever had has been lazy, and the females are little queens. Major attitudes!
LOL I meant about catering to every whim.....I guess our first mistake was naming her Cleopatra! But honestly, I love her to bits.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Yeah, they seem to take the names serious. My parents cat is Simba, and he acts like he is King of the jungle. He took on their doberman, (and won!) and he prances around like he owns the world. In case you weren't aware, he does! If my mom has been gone at work longer then he thinks she should have, he lay's on the railing and as she walks up the steps he smacks her on the head!
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:41 PM

When we get home from work, Cleo is there to greet us. Then she cries until we put fresh food in her dish. She won't eat out of the dish unless it is full to the top....there is always food in there, but she is such a fuss pot she won't touch it because it is "stale". Who said cats are independant? She certainly isn't.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM

HAHA. My parents had to put their cat on a diet per the vet, and he didn't like the new food they had to give him. He would meow until my dad fed him, and then look at my dad, like what the heck do you think your doing, flip his tail at him and walk away! He lost the weight all right, but only because he refused to eat that food. They had to put him back on the other stuff just to get him to eat.