Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 28th, 2012, 02:22 AM

Question Chronic Vomiting

My 1 yr old standard poodle vomits periodically especially during play. There is usually a little undigested food in it along with water. She will bounce sometimes especially after drinking water and it come up as she lands. Other times she makes gagging noises before. She tends to do more when her tummy should be empty before a meal.

She is currently eating Merrick Granny's pot pie kibble. At night I mix in 1/3 can of merrick. She eats 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups at night with canned. I also add water to both meals. I tried her on 4health puppy a while back which is lamb based and found she was vomiting practically every day. I put her back on merrick and she seemed to stop for a while. She still does it less than she was on that food. I've given her some gas medicine when she was especially gassy and she didn't get sick at all. She will sometimes pass foul smelling gas before too. I'm not sure if this is an allergy or what. I'd just like to find some solution. I also have been giving her a GNC stool-no tablet because one of the other dogs is a poop eater.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi duchess belle, I am not a vet but perhaps if you raise her dishes this may help. I have read this on pets here and people have had good results.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi duchess belle, welcome to the board
I have the same issue with one of mine. He regurgitates often, and looks the same, watery with bits of undigested food even several hours after eating. He will also wretch and throw up mucousy bile in the mornings if he doesn't have anything in his tummy, which can be a sign of colitis (our old boy has done that for many years). It can be several things from allergy to food intolerance to colitis. He seems to do it more on kibble, so it's probably something to do with the way dog food is processed (in his case, anyway). We have been home cooking for him (The Honest Kitchen dehydrated veggie/fruit mix and add our own fresh cooked meat, Salmon, in his case). If I make fresh steamed veggies, he will regurgitate often as well. For some reason, the dehydrated mix works wonderfully. He has very large stools and a lot of it looks like undigested fruit/veggies so we took him off and tried kibble again without success. He got diarrhea and was throwing up again. I spoke with our vet again and he said the large stools (and more frequent with undigested fruit/veggies) are ok because The Honest Kitchen has a lot of fibre and would cause that, but it doesn't mean it's a bad thing, so we've gone back to it for now. The stools have firmed up and no throwing up. One thing I will say is that he will still regurgitate if he drinks a lot of water and bounces around, regardless of the food he's on. The first thing I would do is have a visit with the vet and a full blood panel etc. just to rule out anything major, then just try different foods. Our boy gets some seriously smelly (and loud!) gas as well, so we have to be very careful what he gets. Good luck!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
owned by dobes since 1975

does sound like the result of a sensitivity/intolerance to an ingredient in the diet.

a couple of reads............ Achlorhydria......... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00191-0032.pdf
and megaesophagus....http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/

Hope you can figure it out.
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKevs View Post
megaesophagus....http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/

Hope you can figure it out.
Megaesophagus is what they thought our boy had. Two different times we had him tested and were scared to death. Fortunately, he doesn't have it. One thing we have learned about megaesophagus is that our boys symptoms weren't "typical" of it. Dogs with ME do throw up a lot, but it's more in the shape of a "tube". It happens when the food sits in the esophagus. Also, most dogs with ME drool and have severe weight loss. Hopefully, in the above pups case, it is just a sensitivity to one (or a few) of the foods eaten.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012