Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM

Partial tail removal question..

Hi to all.. Wondering if anyone has any advice? My cat had a partial tail removal almost 4 weeks ago due to an accident (he is 13 years old and is an indoor cat). we have been very good at keeping his cone on at all times, and are following the vet's directions to a T.. We had taken his cone off almost a week after the vet told us it was ok to, so it's not like we didn't listen to their instructions, we went longer. It looked like it was healing really well, so we took off his cone. The vet told us to take it off on a Monday/Tuesday(2 weeks following surgery), and we left it off until the following Sunday (3 weeks after surgery) to give him some extra time. Well, he just ripped out his last stitch on Monday of this week (it is Friday now) and he took the scab off the end too.. The vet confused me because he said the stitches were dissolvable, but after 3 weeks, they were still there and looked like they had no intention of going anywhere. So, after he ripped them out he bled a little at the end of it. I rinsed it with some sterilized warm water and it didn't bleed anymore than a tiny bit from ripping that out and then I reverted back to putting the cone on so he could not do anymore damage. Now, it looks really well healed, not 100%, but way better than it did before. But now he seems to want to lick it insessantly! I just wish he would understand that if he left it alone, then it would fully heal and he would not have to wear this horrible cone anymore.. How do I get him to stop licking it? Or am I being too paranoid since it has been 4 weeks since this surgery? Is it harmful for him to be licking it? Should I just take off the cone so he can go on with his life? Should this have been totally healed by now or is it taking too long? Thank you to anyone who has advice.. My animals have never had emergency surgery before, so I am not sure that I am not just being paranoid.. LOL I love my babies, what can I say?? ;-) It has been a long recovery for my poor boy and I just want him to get better, not worse.. Thank you all!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I have no advice about your kitty and his tail.Wanted to welcome you to pets, there should be someone along with some advice for you. Care to share photos of your furbaby's?
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:56 AM

Hi there and thanks for the welcome! Here are the pics.. The black and silver tabby is my K.C. (the one that had the surgery) and the grey on grey tabby is my Harley..
Attached Images

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Tail amputations can be difficult to heal because the skin at the end is stretched over bone. Since it does seem to be healing slowly, if it were me, I'd keep him in the dreaded cone for another couple weeks at least. Let the scar tissue form and maybe some hair will grow in to protect the area... But I'd want it really well healed before allowing him access to it.

Have you talked to your regular vet recently about how long it's taking to heal? There may be some sort of ointment or collagen salve that they can suggest that would speed things up...

He's a little doll, btw! Welcome to the board, chicks, and good luck with KC's tail!! Keep us posted on his recovery, pls!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Hi there, and thank you so much for your response! The vet was confusing because he led me to believe that it should have been healed around the 2-3 week mark.. So confusing to say the least since we got to the 4 week mark and it still didn't look fully healed, hence the hesitation to remove the cone and I was a little surprised that he suggested that I take off the cone before the stitches even came out.. I have never had to deal with a surgery of any type on my cats, so I had no idea what to expect. But, it certainly makes sense what you are saying.. I had asked the vet if I could put anything on it to help it heal and he suggested polysporin after the last stitch was ripped out by KC. So I put that on him for a couple of days and it looks like it healed a little faster than maybe it normally would have.. So, he is looking really good and seems to be looking better on a daily basis.. So, we will definitely try taking it off soon.. I think the vet thinks I am nuts.. LOL.. I have called them like 18 times since I brought him home to ask questions about his healing, and the cone, etc., plus I was crying when I brought him in, and I cried even more when they told me he had to have the surgery.. LOL.. Now the 18 phone calls, they must think I am nuts.. HA HA.. Anyways, just want to make sure I don't do anything to make this worse for him in the long run since it was such a long road to get to this point..

Thanks so much for the compliment on my baby! He is a doll for sure.. I have never had a cat like him.. Very complacent, happy, purrs all the time, full of spunk and energy, and loves everyone, including dogs that are 5 times his size! Even though he gets visually depressed with the cone on, there is never a fight to get it on or keep it on.. He is so good.. No one can tell he is 13 when they see him.. He looks and acts very young.. ;-) He is my sweetheart and I love him so much (and so does everyone else! You should see the gifts and cards he received following his accident and subsequent surgery.. )

Thank you so much again! I appreciate all your help and good advice and the warm welcome.. Take care!

Last edited by chicks; February 4th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM

Your black and silver tabby looks sooo much like the kitty I had growing up. She and her brother lived to be 18. I hope your kitty's tail gets better.
Myka - Nov 1998 to Jan 2010 - 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier cross
Lacy - Sept 1992 to July 2003 - 18 lb Reg Shetland Sheepdog
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

chicks, I can totally relate! Some days we feel like we should have the vet on retainer. I'm sure we paid for most of their new wing, too! We're on first-name basis with all 4 vets at the clinic and if they don't hear from us at least once a week, they begin to worry that we've died!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks Myka! I hope so too.. Looks really great right now, so it shouldn't be long.. That is so cute that yours looked like him.. I hope that the age of yours speaks to how long my babies will be here.. With any hope, my babies will be here forever, but I suppose even God himself has limits.. LOL.. I can not imagine him not being here.. Love your avatar!! Is that your baby?

Hazel, LMAO! I thought I was the only one, it's good to hear that I am not the only one! HA HA.. It is amazing how we rely on the advice of others to get us through difficult situations and calm our nerves.. Hence the reason we post on these websites too! LOL.. Thank you for your response!!
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:25 AM

That's Myka in my avatar. She passed away 2 years ago. Our neighbour's silver tabby lived to be 24 I think it was, so silver tabbys do live forever!

I'm glad to hear his tail is healing up for you.
Myka - Nov 1998 to Jan 2010 - 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier cross
Lacy - Sept 1992 to July 2003 - 18 lb Reg Shetland Sheepdog
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Oh, so sorry Myka.. She is beautiful, and I am sure you miss her.. xoxoxo.. Thanks so much for saying that about silver tabbys.. That makes me feel better.. Honestly the thought of him not being here is hard to imagine.. They become such a big part of our lives.. Thanks for your replies.. Luv and hugs to you..