Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

New member of our extended doggy family, my sister's GSD pup.

Thought those with GSD's might like to see these. My sister, Barbara, collected her 8 week old GSD pup, Misty, the other day. Misty is from a Kennel that supplies dogs to the Police and Customs, for Obedience etc., working lines, not showing. Anyway, the photo's made me smile. Knee high to a cricket(and to a sheltie like Smokey Joe ), yet she still has that very intent expression that I admire in the breed. Love the ears too. I've had nothing to do with GSD puppies before, so hope she keeps sending photo's.
Attached Images

Old October 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG I have never seen a puppy with paws that BIG!! they are gigantic! absolutely stunning!! Love the expression on her face too GF!

I think I am in love!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Legs like little tree trunks. LOL.
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

she's just so cute!! Love those eyes!! Oh and the ears!! She's really got a determined look about her!!
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Willing cat servant

What a beautiful puppy. She reminds me of a cute bear cub for some reason. And who's that stunning Collie? Look at those paws!
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Smokey Joe is a Shetland Sheepdog, Koteburo, not a Collie, but he is a big boy for a sheltie. So Misty is even smaller than she looks(with big feet and lots of bone). LOL. Hopefully she'll turn out nice. There is a show on TV here called 'Send in the dogs - Australia', about Police dogs at work, and I think she's related to some of those we've seen working , in which case she should look the real deal eventually.
Oh, the sheltie belongs to my sister, she has 4. Smokey Joe is very old now but always a big favorite with everyone who meets him, a very friendly and outgoing dog.
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Skylar's Farm

Good Lord, that is one cute little chunk of pup She does look like she was born to work.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope my sister hasn't taken on too much, Bina(says I, who have also taken on another dog ), neither of us are getting any younger. Maybe Misty and Jarrah will keep us at least feeling young(er)? Misty could become a Tracking Ch like her previous 2 GSD's if she can dredge up the enthusiasm and stamina to go for it. Barbara will already be training this pup, everything is geared towards Obedience trials and tracking for all of hers.
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Willing cat servant

If there was a [Like] button I would press it
Old October 9th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Oh my goodness - that's a whole lot of cuteness right there! Those legs are thick like tree trunks! She's going to be one big girl
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a cutie for sure, GF! Those ears just crack me up!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Loki Love, I don't know if she is correct but Barbara seems to think she won't be big, or long like the show GSD's. Who knows though? Here she is having her first track, at 8 weeks. I think I might teach Jarrah to track too, but not for trialling, just for her enjoyment.
Attached Images

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

GF tell her she is gonna be big! look at those mighty trunks for paws! Tracking sounds like alot of fun! does your sister train the dogs for police services etc?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Contributor

My sister had trained tracking dogs many years ago, Winston, when an old friend's young son got lost in bush here, so of course Barb volunteered to help in the search for him . They refused and he never was found. Poor child. I have laid tracks for Barb's dogs in the bush opposite us and they're excellent. Not saying they'd have been more successful than the Police or Search and Rescue dogs, but wouldn't you think they'd have wanted all the help they could get? I don't know if the situation has changed, I should ask her.

I made a mistake earlier. I said that both her previous GSD's were Tracking Champions. The first one was just TDX(Tracking Dog Excellent), sorry, the Ch title wasn't in back then. But, she has re-named her pup now, it's Sally, after that first GSD, which got called 'Sally Super Dog' around the trials.
Barb did have a sheltie that was a Tracking Ch also, Elsa I think it was.

Little Sally reckons tracking is tiring work. LOL.
Attached Images

Old October 10th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that I am in LOVE! What a swet girl Sally is, I can smell puppy breathe all the way around the world to my home. I would like to do tracking with my two but I have not looked for any one who can teach me yet. patti
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Patti, my sister makes it sound easy. I can pm you the info she told me to start Jarrah on basic tracking if you like.
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

OMG she is adorable. If I were younger I would love to do the tracking. GSD's can be so good at it.

We did the obedience, but gave that up years ago when we got into the rescue side of GSD's. I liked the training but not doing the trials.

She looks like she will grow up to be beautiful.

Owned by

Bree 11 year old GSD
Keesha 6 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm. I agree, Sylvie and I'm envious. I'd love a Shepherd but my hubby won't agree to me having one. Too big he says. Your 3 younger GSDs could all learn to track, so if you'd like my sister's instructions on how to start them, just pm me your email addy. It's easier than obedience.
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GF, she is just adorable!!! They say you can tell if a dog is going to be big, not by the size of the paws, but by the thickness of the legs! And I believe it. Had Nookie not been stunted by the prednisone and azathioprine, he would have been a monster! His legs were (and still are) thick like that. He was 110 pounds between 6 and 7 months when he stopped growing
He was chubby, but his optimal weight for his size is 95 pounds. Can you imagine if he had continued growing like he should have?

This little girl is just beautiful! We were told to train Nookie for tracking, but there are no tracking clubs here. I've checked
I would love the info on getting started, if you wouldn't mind! You have my email

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, here's those big paws again, and isn't she growing fast? The ears faster than the rest perhaps?

I've had a lot of hassles the last few days and forget now whether I sent you the instructions, can you send me the answer and your email again by pm please. Going offline now as I've a busy day coming up.
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

A little update now that Sally is 4 months old. The second photo came with this snippet of information.

Sally had her Christmas Fun Day and GSDCV Break-up today. She won "Puppy A" Tunnels, Obstacle Course and Fastest Recall. Better than that - she behaved impeccably all day. She slept under the table when we were finished while we were having our Christmas dinner.

(GSDCV = German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria.)

In the first photo she was watching an ant. Very observant, just like Jarrah, my ACD.
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations to Sally! She sure is cute. Dogs and ants, that's how I found out I had carpenter ants in my old townhouse, the dogs saw them walking on a vent cover. I never would have seen them.
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

If Jarrah knew there is a BIG blue tongue lizard lurking amongst my flower pots I know what she'd be stalking. Pity it wasn't about when Barb had Sally here. It'd be another experience for the pup. But aren't dogs great, DD? The dogs they train to detect white ants in houses(termites) are invaluable here. There are just so many things they do for people now. I don't know what carpenter ants are, how did they earn that name?
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Carpenter ants are very large black ants and earned their name, I believe, mostly because they live in wood. They tunnel through the wood on houses and then build nests with thousands and thousands of ants. As they tunnel through the wood you will often see piles of sawdust where it comes out, and left untreated (like with termites) they can destroy your house completely. If you have a large infestation you can hear them in the walls - it sounds like electricity.
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

How alarming! So what could you do once the dogs alerted you to the problem, DD? Had they done a lot of damage?
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

GF when I was a young child we lived in a rental home where they had a large infestation. DD is right what amess. I remember they had to replace the roof and other things.

We used to call them Army Ants because they were huge!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Do they bite? Or like white ants do they just live on wood?
Old December 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe this is a new way to get rid of birds, I mean why bark when you can chase them up the trees? This is Sally climbing the Cypress bed. My sister said she was actually chasing rabbits, they live under the cypresses. Barb said she is very sure footed and agile and seriously different to any dog they've ever had before. LOL. 4 months old.
Attached Images