Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Tiger needs help

My 13-year-old tabby cat, Tiger, started losing a lot of weight in July. He appeared to be eating okay but was weak and purring inappropriately. We took him in to the vet and had multiple blood tests done and he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. We gave him pills for several weeks and he gained weight back and seemed to be back in good health, but just about a week ago he took a nose-dive for the worse.

He was still on his pills but he stopped eating, started acting strange/reclusive, and he is weakened and wobbly when he walks (sometimes falling over). I am very worried for him. We took him to the vet again last Friday. Initially he had signs of a slight infection back in July and was never given any antibiotics for it, but when I came back for follow up last July the vet said he wasn't concerned about that so I didn't worry. This last Friday when I came back again I asked him to give the antibiotics this time. So he gave him subcutaneous water and an antibiotics shot. His condition has not improved. He is hiding behind the washer/dryer. I give him food but he hardly eats if at all. Last night I had to feed him with a syringe. My parents took him back to the vet today where he got more water (subcutaneous) and a shot for nausea. He ate a little more today (tuna). The vet did x-rays and could not find anything physically wrong. I wish I knew what the problem is. He is purring all the time and seems to have laboured/fast breathing. Does this mean he is in pain? What do you think is wrong with him?