Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Not a clue
Just had a look online & would guess a Rufous http://fohn.net/hummingbird-pictures...mmingbird.html

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Too bad the banders can't do hummers.

Name:  Flurry at dusk 5-25-11 A.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.6 KB

hubby sent me out to take some pics for one of his ex-co-workers. The birds were pretty thick tonight! I think we're going to have a record bird food bill this year if you take into account both seed and sugar...

On a slightly different note, there was also a 30-pound coon out there cleaning up under the seed feeders tonight when I went out to bring them in!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Just had a look online & would guess a Rufous http://fohn.net/hummingbird-pictures...mmingbird.html
I think you're right!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Nice pics, gGK!!! What kind of hummer is that male? He looks so rusty!! Anna's? Um...Rufous? Um.... The only kind we have here is the ruby-throated. You're fortunate to have a little variety out there!
The little guy looks like a Rufous IMO. They tend to migrate in western Canada according to Journey North's link......

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/humm/TwoSpeciesID.html

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

I can't imagine, even considering a long drive, that they wouldn't want to come back to band again next year - they've so many subjects at your place.

The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
And all the grosbeaks will be perched in a row, waiting for their band identifications!
If they saw all those grosbeaks again they'd probably run screaming back to their van and burn rubber into the distance!

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'd love to see a rufous hummingbird someday!

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:55 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
I'd love to see a rufous hummingbird someday!
ROAD TRIP TO GROWLER'S!!!

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Too bad the banders can't do hummers.
Holy Moly! That's a lot at once, I got one shot of 2 the feeder together but one's mostly hidden on the other side & that one stayed in the same spot for aleast 3 mins

Name:  Hummer2.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  55.6 KB

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh Wow Growler! Love the Rufous'! They're so beautifully different.

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aren't they pretty? I love the rusty color on the feathers!

I'd love to take a road trip to growler's!

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
ROAD TRIP TO GROWLER'S!!!
They're still a couple more hours drive away from me. Be sure you bring the pups .

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's gonna take us at least three days to get there, gGK! What's a couple more hours after that?

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A few more warblers...

This little American redstart sings his heart out like a male, but looks like a female. I keep thinking it's a young bird, but every year the same male (or one with the same colors) shows up singing. A normal adult male will have a dark red-orange where this one has yellow-orange patches.

Name:  American redstart 5-20-11 A.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  109.4 KB

An unusual visitor in that normally they're way up in the tops of the oaks or hiding in the dark pockets near the tops of the spruce and hemlock--a bay-breasted warbler being very obliging by sitting on top of the fence while I was in the blind.

Name:  Bay-breasted warbler 5-21-11 A.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  67.4 KB

And a second shot of the same bay-breasted male after it flitted back up higher into a nearby oak.

Name:  Bay-breasted warbler 5-21-11 B.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  88.2 KB

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A male blue-winged warbler. They tend to be a bit shy--I usually get butt-end shots of them, like this one!

Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-20-11 A.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  74.3 KB

A new one for me--a Brewster's male. Brewster's warblers are blue-winged warbler / golden-winged warbler crosses, so hybrids. I've never seen one here before, even though we have both blue-winged and golden-winged warblers nesting within earshot of the house. This one was singing almost pure blue-winged warbler song.

Name:  Brewster's warbler 5-28-11 A1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  85.2 KB

And a mystery warbler. This one hit the side of the house in early May and after I made sure it was okay, I took some pics. I think it's a Nashville fem, but the white throat is confusing (Nashville's have yellow throats). It might be a first spring fem mourning warbler, but we see so few mourning warblers in this neck of the woods, so I'm thinking Nashville. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it Unless, of course, someone has a better suggestion? I'd love to get a positive ID on this one!)

Name:  Nashville warbler maybe 5-10-11.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  61.9 KB

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

A male Cape May warbler...

Name:  Cape May warbler 5-13-11 A.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  102.4 KB

...and two shots of the same very obliging fem:

Name:  Cape May warbler 5-13-11 D.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  111.8 KB

Name:  Cape May warbler 5-13-11 E.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  94.4 KB

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Tennessee warblers. I think the first is a male and the other two are definitely fems. All were taken from some distance and I was amazed at how well my photo-editor was able to pick out the images. This is another species that spends most of its time high up in the trees hidden from hazel's camera.

Name:  Tennessee warbler 5-28-11 D.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  170.9 KB

Name:  Tennessee warbler fem 5-28-11 A.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  Tennessee warbler fem 5-28-11 B.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  102.5 KB

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

And finally, the very secretive ovenbird: loud of voice but lurking deep in the thickets. Although, truth be told, even when they're belting out their TEACHer TEACHer TEACHer call from a tree, I'm rarely able to spot them.

Name:  Ovenbird 5-20-11 C.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  Ovenbird 5-20-11 B.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  Ovenbird 5-20-11 A.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  101.5 KB

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh Hazel, I am so envious of your camera and your photo taking skills . What a little cutie-pie the ovenbird is .

A few I took earlier today. Mr. Finch!

Name:  B1.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  30.7 KB

Taking his lady-love out to dinner .

Name:  b2.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  44.1 KB

But wouldn't join her for a drink .

Name:  b3.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  31.2 KB
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Doggie Wench

Haven't checked out what this little guy is yet.

Name:  b5.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  35.9 KB

And can't for the life of me remember what this one is called (starts with an "s"?) but, omg, what bullies they are! Terrible dinner manners too!

Name:  b6.JPG
Views: 127
Size:  41.6 KB

We rearranged the bird feeders this afternoon. Added a few more and dh made it so I don't need a ladder to fill them up .

Name:  b4.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  70.2 KB
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Doggie Wench

And I finally gave up on the sunflower garden. I must have planted at least 2 dozen seeds, only to have had something eat the tops off. I planted over again....and again . Finally caught the responsible little bugger . He now gets his very own meals served to him nightly .

Name:  b7.JPG
Views: 132
Size:  69.6 KB
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I love the new arrangement!!! And the pics, LP!!

Your mystery birds are a house sparrow and a common grackle. Both can be sorta pesty at feeders but I always like watching them anyway. And here, a grackle is a real treat because we're off the beaten grackle path.

Mr Finch better start visitin' the waterin' hole with the Mrs or she's gonna make him raise his own babies and run off with some goldfinch who's a little more fun to be with!

Almost missed the bunny! I think bunnies are so cute, but they help the deer mow down my well garden every year.

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Your mystery birds are a house sparrow and a common grackle.
I should have remembered the house sparrow . "Grackle"...is that the same as a starling or are they different birds? At one point, I only put out niger seed just so the little birds can get a break from them. Holy smokes, are they ever rude and all they seem to do is "nag, nag, nag, nag."

Quote:
Mr Finch better start visitin' the waterin' hole with the Mrs or she's gonna make him raise his own babies and run off with some goldfinch who's a little more fun to be with!

I just love the bunnies too ...as much Lucky and Penny but I'll stop short of rolling around in the poop balls .

Went to the local feed store today and they hardly had any bird or rabbit food on the shelves. I thought they had sold out but the owner's sister said that their scale broke and she couldn't afford a new one so was desperately looking for one used for cheap (electronic commercial scales can be pretty pricey, even second-hand). So I went home, dug one up out of our storage room (dad was going to throw it out when he changed the ones in his store) and brought it to her. They were so grateful that I was offered bird and bunny food for the rest of the year in exchange .
Old June 29th, 2011, 08:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wow! Nice barter! Nothing like a win-win deal.

Starlings are different than grackles--both can be real feeder and suet hogs. Starlings have yellow bills and stubby tails. I've heard that mixing safflower seed into the sunflower before filling your feeders will discourage grackles...but I've never had any bird eat any safflower here, so it sort of makes them all go away And what's the fun in that?

Lucky and Penny only roll in the poop balls? Our guys find rabbit raisins to be delectable

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
You can call me DOG!

Beautiful array of feeders LP! I especially like the bright red one at the end and what a great idea for DH to make them filling height! Any returning Orioles?

A co-worker of mine went over to the states tonight and picked me up a 32 oz jar of Wal-mart (Sam's Club) Grape Jelly for 3 bucks! Twice the size of the ones here in Canada for the same price!

Too bad about the sunflowers but at least the little culprit has something else to nibble on. Do you think the sunflowers may still bloom?

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Lucky and Penny only roll in the poop balls? Our guys find rabbit raisins to be delectable
Oh, our guys find them delicious too. Only I have them on leash in the front yard so, if I don't let them snack, they figure they may as well roll in it .

Quote:
Beautiful array of feeders LP! I especially like the bright red one at the end and what a great idea for DH to make them filling height! Any returning Orioles?
Yeah, last one he put up for me, I had to wait til he was home to hold the ladder steady when I filled it . Love the red one too . Dh thought it was neat and is looking forward to seeing Orioles too! I haven't seen them around but do hear them so, I hope they'll be visiting soon . The other two feeders Chris' dh, Pepe, made by hand. Crazy how talented he is! I have some bird houses too but, haven't figured out the best place to put them up yet.

Quote:
A co-worker of mine went over to the states tonight and picked me up a 32 oz jar of Wal-mart (Sam's Club) Grape Jelly for 3 bucks! Twice the size of the ones here in Canada for the same price!

Too bad about the sunflowers but at least the little culprit has something else to nibble on. Do you think the sunflowers may still bloom?
Great deal on the jelly! I keep wondering how come it's so expensive . Have you thought about making your own? I wonder if it's difficult.

Oh no, the sunflowers definitely aren't going to bloom . They get eaten right down to tiny stubs. That's ok though. I'll try to figure a way to grow a garden of them next summer (maybe with chicken wire or something around them). I did plant two under Sandman's bedroom window though that are growing fine as they're in the backyard.
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We had a little forest of sunflower plants out around the feeders from all the seed that sprouted this spring (it stayed so wet I couldn't rake up the winter leavings until after much of it had sprouted). The raccoons keep breaking off the bigger ones as they push through to get to the feeders.

I hope your orioles find the feeders quickly! They should have babies out now--maybe they'll be looking for some fast food for them.

Old June 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I hope your orioles find the feeders quickly! They should have babies out now--maybe they'll be looking for some fast food for them.
Oh, I sure do hope so .

I have to get going ladies. I have to be up way too early tomorrow .

I'll try to pop in sooner next time .

Sweet dreams and lots of smoochies to all the fuzzbutts from me .
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:21 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
The other two feeders Chris' dh, Pepe, made by hand. Crazy how talented he is!

I noticed the other ones too. Beautiful feeders and to Pepe.

Great deal on the jelly! I keep wondering how come it's so expensive . Have you thought about making your own? I wonder if it's difficult.

Humph interesting...Another thing to google about!

Oh no, the sunflowers definitely aren't going to bloom . They get eaten right down to tiny stubs. That's ok though. I'll try to figure a way to grow a garden of them next summer (maybe with chicken wire or something around them). I did plant two under Sandman's bedroom window though that are growing fine as they're in the backyard.
At least Sandman has sunny sunflowers to wake up to in the mornings. What more could you ask for?

Old June 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
At least Sandman has sunny sunflowers to wake up to in the mornings. What more could you ask for?
Bean stalks .