Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 21st, 2011, 02:29 AM

Pee Pad Issues

I live in Korea and I'm dog-sitting for a friend for a month. As is common here, being at work all day and not having a backyard due to living in a tiny apartment, most people who have dogs just use pee pads for them - this is what my friend uses, so this is what I'm using.

Problem is, after like one little pee, the dog has apparently decided that further use of the pad is IMPOSSIBLE and just starts to go on the floor. In the morning before leaving for work, I put a fresh one out, and I come home to little poos all around my apartment floor and one little pee stain on the pad. What can I do to make the dog NOT do this? I'm at work for 10 hours a day and getting back home at lunch or something to make a quick switch is impossible because I live too far away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
Gettin' Iggy With It

Try putting more than one pad out, in the same general area? Also, don't give free range of the house/apt, baby gate into a room, with the pads. Put a bed in there as well.
Old June 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM

You mention that the pee gets on the pad, but the poos are everywhere. Is it possible the dog is being discriminatory over what goes where? My dog is very picky over where she will pee (her recent problems aside) but poops pretty much anywhere because the urgency is different. And some dogs just really don't like to get their toes wet, so maybe this is your dog's problem too.

I too have to use pee pads with my dog because she has become somewhat incontinent and I can not leave her for hours and expect her to hold it. They work great for her, but she "buries" what she does there, or kicks her legs around on it, tearing it up. I typically put out at least two. And she is baby-gated into the kitchen.