Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Bored Border Collie

Hey guys,

I'm brand new here and a new dog owner - My fiancee and I got a border collie/black lab mix when he was 8weeks old and quickly saw how MUCH of the border collie was in him. He picked up on ANYTHING we taught him (be it potty training, tricks, etc.) right away, loved to herd/run etc. and was rarely tired.

Now that he's 7 months old we're finding it difficult to keep him entertained. We have him in "Puppy Classes" once a week (with the hopes of getting him into agility - but you have to go through the lower levels first), we take him for AT LEAST one-one hour+ long walk each day (most days it's two-one hr+ long walks) which consist of him being off-leash, running around and playing frisbee 95% of the time we're out (we live down the street from an off-leash nature path that leads to the lakefront) and I usually play fetch/do some indoor training with him in the house on a daily basis quite a bit - and he STILL doesn't tire and constantly wants to be doing something.

If you don't keep him entertained - he'll bring his toy-of-choice to you and place it in your lap and bark until you play with him. We've tried correcting him, tried letting him play the backyard with the other pup, tried getting interactive games to keep him mentally stimulated (he figured them out within 5 minutes and then was bored with them) etc.

If you have annnnnnyyyy ideas on keeping him entertained PLEASE share - it's frustrating because, as much as we love him, we don't have the time to play 24/7.

Thanks in advance for your help =)