Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Dog bites when we try to move him

Hello,

I have a 8 month old Jack Russell Terrier from a very good breeder. This is my fourth Jack, so I am very familier with the breed and their needs. He is very friendly and happy and well behaved in most situations. He is wonderful around other dogs and does not show any dominance agression to them. He is well trained and gets a lot of exercise and is not home alone very often.

There is is just one situation where we are having a problem-when he's lying on our laps or in the bed if we try to move him (whether he's awake or sleeping) he snaps at us, he growls and lately he has started biting. At first he would do it more as a warning-but lately he's been biting where it hurts.

I know that this is a dominance issue-I know that he should not be in the bed. I know I should invite him up on my lap. I do know a lot of things I should do with him and I do a lot of things to deter him from being dominant. The thing is, I have never had a dog do this. I want to have him sleep on the bed or on our laps. We have started doing the Cesar "shhhh" sound and tapping him on the neck the way his mother would to correct him when he gets too agressive...it does seem to get his attention...I don't know maybe I need to really be the strong dominant one around him and really keep him in check. I just wondered if anyone had any insite besides what I have already read about dominance on the web.
Thanks
J