Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM

Question Any vet techs ?

Hey I am really interested in taking vet tech. I really do not like my current profession/life.

For now i am interested in the one year vet assistant program at west coast college vancouver because you get a diploma out of it instead of a cert.

Was just wondering does canada have many options to be a vet tech through at home school? Do all the book work at home and practical work at the school? America has a lot.

ALso was curious how easy is it to get into an american school like that for us canadians? I am not sure if Canada will even take an american vet tech diploma though.
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

ICS Canada has some courses that may interest you. They are done online.
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Hey cateyes I am currently taking Veterinary Technician in Saskatoon through SIAST. I didn't look into the tech assistant stuff at all but I know when I was first looking at colleges Olds College offered distance learning for their tech program. After you've completed the program you need to write a national exam to become registered. I'm not sure whether American diplomas would be accepted here, I know certain states accept diplomas from Canadian programs.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Your inquiry kind of caught my attention in regards to vet tech college.
We have a campus at Northern College of Applied Arts & Technology in Temiskaming Shores, Ontario, the Haileybury Campus. It offers a Veterinary Technician's course. Not familiar with it but could call them on Monday and ask if they have a distance learning course.
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Georgian College in Barrie has a Vet Assistant programme that awards a certificate and a Vet Tech, programme, with co-op, that awards a diploma.

One thing you should consider and investigate is how marketable are you to a Vet if your school had no in-school and no co-op classes. If I am misunderstanding your hope to do all your courses from home, then I apologize. But for something as hands on as Veterinary work I think a co-op in particular would be invaluable.
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Further to my reply posting of last evening, I decided to Google Northern College this morning, and find that they have 5 courses listed under Veterinary Science, so I'm enclosing the web site for you to take a look and check things out. They do have long distance learning, but in what programs, I don't know.

http://www.northernc.on.ca/