Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Allergy problem? Drontal plus safety?

I posted a previous thread about my dog who has been diagnosed with nasal adenocarcinoma. She has also been having trouble with an itchy rear and vulva area. She licks her skin around her vulva area and the vulva itself as well as around the anal area. She also scoots a lot which is why I thought it was an anal gland issue since she has had problems in the past but when the vet came she said they were not that full. The only thing I can think of is some sort of allergy but this may be hard to figure out. Right now I am cooking for her - mainly chicken based so should I change to a different protein like whitefish? The other thing the vet gave was drontal de-wormer just to rule out parasites but I was worried about giving any kind of chemical medication since she has a nasal tumor. Does anyone know if drontal plus is safe. I am to give 2.5 tablets and another 2.5 tablets in 10 days.
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A change in protein might be a good idea. Chicken turns out to be frequently allergenic. One of our dogs is allergic to chicken and we switched to pork.

We've also used Drontal with good success, although it does tend to make them hyper for a few hours after they get the pill. We've never had to use it on a dog with another major medical condition, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks hazelrunpack,

I just think it's unlikely to be parasites. I don't like treating my dogs with medication if it is unnecessary. I know she is just trying to rule it out but my feeling is it is allergy related. I'm a little protective over her and I just don't want to do the wrong thing.
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have your dog stools check for parasites especially if you have small kids that are on floor a lot .
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM

No kids, just dogs.

Her stool was checked last year during the tick ordeal and it was negative. If you give heartworm every month you are giving a de-wormer . I think the vets logic is that to send away for a stool test is 3x as much as just treating the dog but again, I think it's pretty unlikely.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did the vet check a stool sample?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
No kids, just dogs.

Her stool was checked last year during the tick ordeal and it was negative. If you give heartworm every month you are giving a de-wormer . I think the vets logic is that to send away for a stool test is 3x as much as just treating the dog but again, I think it's pretty unlikely.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/vete...d-Scooting.htm

this web give a list of reasons dogs will scoot across the rug. Not all heart worm med treat all the worms dogs can get.