Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:33 PM
val jester val jester is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: portugal
Posts: 3
Question cat won't stop meowing (a severe case of it)

Hello everybody! : )

My cat is about 8 years old but he’s only been with me for a year now (his former master died).

At first he didn’t meow all that much, but for the last couple of months he started meowing rather histerically from 8 pm to 11 pm, roughly. He cries on the corridor like he’s being hurt or shut somewhere, except he isn’t, of course. He’ll only shut up if I get up and/or go to the kitchen get something done (bizarrely enough, I know).

Then he also wakes me up during the night, usually from 5 am onwards, to get my attention.

Strangely enough from 11 pm onwards he's usally very quiet. Just now I had to check on him to see if he was breathing, as he was sleeping so silently.

I haven't changed my routines and he's apparently in good health, according to the vet and to the state of this fur, eating habits, etc.

Last time I took him to the vet he recommended I bought «tranquilizer» Feliway; for a while maybe that worked, but not anymore.

I need to rest and also I’m afraid my neighbours will complain.

What’s your advice? I do love my cat but everynight he drives me crazy.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by val jester View Post
Hello everybody! : )

My cat is about 8 years old but he’s only been with me for a year now (his former master died).

At first he didn’t meow all that much, but for the last couple of months he started meowing rather histerically from 8 pm to 11 pm, roughly. He cries on the corridor like he’s being hurt or shut somewhere, except he isn’t, of course. He’ll only shut up if I get up and/or go to the kitchen get something done (bizarrely enough, I know).

Then he also wakes me up during the night, usually from 5 am onwards, to get my attention.

Strangely enough from 11 pm onwards he's usally very quiet. Just now I had to check on him to see if he was breathing, as he was sleeping so silently.

I haven't changed my routines and he's apparently in good health, according to the vet and to the state of this fur, eating habits, etc.

Last time I took him to the vet he recommended I bought «tranquilizer» Feliway; for a while maybe that worked, but not anymore.

I need to rest and also I’m afraid my neighbours will complain.

What’s your advice? I do love my cat but everynight he drives me crazy.

Thank you in advance.
Have you tried letting the cat sleep in your bedroom? Maybe he is lonely at night and miss his last owner.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM
Koteburo's Avatar
Koteburo Koteburo is offline
Willing cat servant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Have you tried letting the cat sleep in your bedroom? Maybe he is lonely at night and miss his last owner.
Sounds very possible. If you don't allow pets on your bed you could set up a cat bed in your room. My Mulder sleeps in my room but she doesn't really go on the bed (although I don't mind at all) she sleeps in her own bed and Scully on a chair I have in my bedroom. If I let her out she's starts howling and meowing and scratching the door but I never leave her out
Oh I forgot! Maybe you could spray the cat bed with cat nip so the kitty feels inclined to use it.
__________________
" How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Barkingdog Barkingdog is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Sounds very possible. If you don't allow pets on your bed you could set up a cat bed in your room. My Mulder sleeps in my room but she doesn't really go on the bed (although I don't mind at all) she sleeps in her own bed and Scully on a chair I have in my bedroom. If I let her out she's starts howling and meowing and scratching the door but I never leave her out
Oh I forgot! Maybe you could spray the cat bed with cat nip so the kitty feels inclined to use it.
The cat might get so high from the cat nip and end up clawing the bed up or keeping you up all night by climbing all over the place. .Some cats get really crazy when high. Did you know the cat last owner or their famliy? I would bring a littler box in the bedroom too if you sleep with your door closes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:30 AM
Koteburo's Avatar
Koteburo Koteburo is offline
Willing cat servant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 843
You're right it could be. I was talking from my own experience. Mine LOVE catnip but it doesn't make them crazy. They just spin and rub against it and eat it but after that everything back to normal. But yes not all cats are the same.
__________________
" How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
val jester val jester is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: portugal
Posts: 3
Smile

Thank you so much for your kind replies!

Farrusco, that's the cat's name, already sleeps with me. He always has, ever since he came to stay with me, one year ago.

This is what happened: his owner was an old man who died at 97 and his nephew - friend of a friend of mine - promised his uncle he would keep and take care of the cat. When the man died, though, he was unable to keep Farrusco and needed someone to stay with him for a couple of weeks. This was in September and, due to several problems with my friend's friend's house, round Christmas I still had the cat with me! Naturally I had grown very attached to him but I kept my part and let go of the cat when his legitimate owner was ready to welcome him at his new place.

Two weeks later, however, he asked me whether I would not like to have the kitty back. I obviously said yes! Farrusco had been having a hard time getting used to my friend's other cats (2 youngsters) and was acting all stressed out and aggressive (he's usually very mellow).

When he returned to my house he seemed very happy and I'd even say relieved to be back. But that's also when the screaming began. I even thought he was replying to the cats outside (it was January, when all the cats are aroused and extremely loud), but perhaps that wasn't the real reason...

Well, I'm sorry to have bothered you with such a long story. Apart from these quirks he's a super cool car.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cat, cat meowing, cat won't shut up

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.