Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Question Dog with very itchy paws, "environmental allergies", not feeling well

HELP PLEASE!!? My senior dog Baby is suffering (for a few weeks now) with very itchy paws. She has been diagnosed with "Environmental Allergies" and every year beginning August, she begins suffering with itchy paws and general malaise. She has been on Vanectyl P tablets for several years. I give her 1/2 tab two times a day, (although the instructions say 1/2 tab every 48 hrs!)......They do not seem to work....she is constantly licking her paws and seems quite distressed and generally just not well, in hiding and just not herself. She is hungrier and thirstier than ever on these meds. I was wondering if there are any other meds that are better than this medication that other members feel are helping their dogs with itchy paws? Previously, when with another Vet, she was on Prednisone, and also did not have positive results.
I recently heard of a medication called Atopica - has anyone used this for their dog's itchy paws with good results? I am grateful, and appreciate your advice, experiences and any information. Thank you.
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Violet I have heard of a few folks using apple cider vinegar in a solution put on the dogs paws in the bath and also some folks put it in their water daily? I have included a link that may help you.

I am so sorry your having to deal with this it truly is sad when we see them suffer.

It sounds like a yeast issue!

Good Luck

Cindy

http://www.ehow.com/way_5689435_home...tchy-paws.html
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Please stop giving her this drug so often, it is harmful to her. Now, depending on how long you have been doing this, you cannot just "stop" or quickly cut back, because it will do very bad things to her adrenal glands, so you have to slowly taper back to the dosage on the bottle.

This drug is not working, which means that you need to do something else.

Atopica is a very high powered drug and you want to try alternative therapies if you can. There is a thread somewhere in this forum about Atopica, several pages long.

How long does this seasonal flair last, and what else have you been doing to manage it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLET0019 View Post
HELP PLEASE!!? My senior dog Baby is suffering (for a few weeks now) with very itchy paws. She has been diagnosed with "Environmental Allergies" and every year beginning August, she begins suffering with itchy paws and general malaise. She has been on Vanectyl P tablets for several years. I give her 1/2 tab two times a day, (although the instructions say 1/2 tab every 48 hrs!)......They do not seem to work....she is constantly licking her paws and seems quite distressed and generally just not well, in hiding and just not herself. She is hungrier and thirstier than ever on these meds. I was wondering if there are any other meds that are better than this medication that other members feel are helping their dogs with itchy paws? Previously, when with another Vet, she was on Prednisone, and also did not have positive results.
I recently heard of a medication called Atopica - has anyone used this for their dog's itchy paws with good results? I am grateful, and appreciate your advice, experiences and any information. Thank you.
I was told to give my dog Benadryl when he got itchy.
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I was told to my dog Benadryl when got itchy . I have not tried it yey so I am not sure how well it works.
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Itchy paws

Hi my name is Andrea my friend has a dog with really bad allergys she used to get shots but they still didn't seem to help what we found helps the most is a good shampoo for allergys and every time she goes for a walk we rinse off her paws. And she gets bathes often. There are places where it is worse under her legs belly and paws around her neck tail places on her body we concintrate on whem washing her .If she is itching really bad she will wake my friend up in the middle of the night to be rinsed off. After any walk outside she is rinsed off with a hose outside or in the tub if cold out and usually gets a claratin generic once a day and in between she will give her benadryl. She has had this problem all her life and is very allergic to wheat , corn and rice she feeds her the dog food that has duck in it and usually grain free. But the rinseing her off especially her feet is the best thing she has found after being outside.Lexa is 12
Hope this helps
Good luck
Andrea
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLET0019 View Post
Would it help to put booties on your dog when take her out to walk on grass? Has she been on antibiotics recently , like someone said it could be a yeast infection. Antibiotics can cause dogs to get yeast infection on their paws .
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM

A 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water sprayed on my dog's feet twice a day helps her feet when they get bad, and kills the yeast when she gets yeast infection of her feet. Recently, my dog was also tentatively diagnosed with atopic dermatitis (environmental allergies), and my traditional vet who also practices holistic therapies told me the most important thing to do is get my dog off kibble onto "unprocessed" food, and to not give her any more vaccinations unless absolutely necessary (determined by titer testing).

For allergy troubles I would strongly urge you to find a DVM that also practices holistic medicine. Just be sure the vet is indeed a DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), and not just a holistic practitioner.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie

Tags
dog itchy paws