Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM

Dreaming about that perfect bird cage?

Be careful what you wish for.

This is my third cage from Wayfair. The first was ok. A couple of bent bars which I bent into place.

The back of the second was like a banana. After putting my weight on it I build it anyways and you can't tell. There is a cm of paint missing I hid with a perch.

Here is the third as you can see it was not packaged all that well.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

This is my third cage from Wayfair. The first was ok. A couple of bent bars which I bent into place.

The back of the second was like a banana. After putting my weight on it I build it anyways and you can't tell. There is a cm of paint missing I hid with a perch.

Here is the third as you can see it was not packaged all that well.
I would be careful about the chipped paint it could lead in the paint and you would not want your bird picking at it.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM

Yes true this was my thought because my birds seem to have to put their mouth on everything, they taste the toys and the bars. I was supposed to get this cage a long time ago. The box got here and looked like it was dropped down some stairs. I talked to the company which said they would send a new one. I described the box because usually this bird cage is shipped with white cardboard corners which reinforce the box, also there are usually three white straps. This box is identical to the last. It has no reinforcements and only one plastic strap. Last week the company Purolator said they fix the box and redeliver. The company Wayfair denied this charge however look at the tape all over the box.

I keep getting my hopes up. The day of the first delivery I was so happy that my little Loki would finally have her cage. She is in a temporary cage (she is new) and this should have arrived before she got here. Today I was happy expecting my new cage. I really am sad seeing Loki on the same perch day in day out. No room to fly or explore. They seem to have taped up the box I refused and brought it back.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes true this was my thought because my birds seem to have to put their mouth on everything, they taste the toys and the bars. I was supposed to get this cage a long time ago. The box got here and looked like it was dropped down some stairs. I talked to the company which said they would send a new one. I described the box because usually this bird cage is shipped with white cardboard corners which reinforce the box, also there are usually three white straps. This box is identical to the last. It has no reinforcements and only one plastic strap. Last week the company Purolator said they fix the box and redeliver. The company Wayfair denied this charge however look at the tape all over the box.

I keep getting my hopes up. The day of the first delivery I was so happy that my little Loki would finally have her cage. She is in a temporary cage (she is new) and this should have arrived before she got here. Today I was happy expecting my new cage. I really am sad seeing Loki on the same perch day in day out. No room to fly or explore. They seem to have taped up the box I refused and brought it back.
I bet the delivery person threw the box around. This is a big problem with UPS , the delivery people just throw things around and not give a damn what happen to what in the box. can you buy one from a pet store and bring it home yourself? If the cage was made in China it most likely will have lead in the paint.
Old August 25th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I wonder if I can have the paint tested for lead somewhere not to costly. I can't get this cage where I live unfortunately I would have to drive hundreds of miles. In the States you can probably get a good cage for not much.
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I wonder if I can have the paint tested for lead somewhere not to costly. I can't get this cage where I live unfortunately I would have to drive hundreds of miles. In the States you can probably get a good cage for not much.
You can buy a lead tester kit.. I bet you can buy it on line and hope it does not get broken during the delivery