Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Just can't master the RECALL. Help!

The facts are these:
- suspected Beagle/Coonhound mix
- ~6yrs old, adopted from kennel
- we've had her for a little over 8 months
- learned excellent recall on leash, indoors
- learned excellent 'sit', 'wait', 'down' commands

Problem: the Recall outdoors, off-leash.
Once she gets her nose to the ground, it's like nothing else exists! We've tested her a few times at the cottage and she will wander off (and eventually get lost).
I've tried:
- positive training, repeat successful recalls all the time indoors and on-leash outside
- tried (and currently training when I feed her) with a dog whistle...
- all kinds of treats: dog treats, bacon, goldfish crackers, hotdogs, raw meat.

Nothing is as enticing as all those SMELLS!
Hound-owners, please tell me there's a good training trick for this!
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM

You know your dog loves to track. Why not seek out local training groups that do just that? If you can train your dog to do something constructively that he's going to do anyway, you're way ahead of the game. You will benefit and so will your dog
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitona View Post
You know your dog loves to track. Why not seek out local training groups that do just that? If you can train your dog to do something constructively that he's going to do anyway, you're way ahead of the game. You will benefit and so will your dog
This idea is genius! I was going to comment but when I saw this reply I can easily say that this one is probably the best suggestion you could possibly get.
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM

Hey Ben Max, I'm blushing here! If I had a nickle for every time I've been asked by husky owners ''My dog keeps running away. What do I do????'' I'd be one of the 1%. LOL My reply? Go with them!
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitona View Post
Hey Ben Max, I'm blushing here! If I had a nickle for every time I've been asked by husky owners ''My dog keeps running away. What do I do????'' I'd be one of the 1%. LOL My reply? Go with them!
Actually I have to agree with you kitona. I usually have ideas to pass along but you totally took the wind out of my sails.
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! Tracking classes sound pretty cool, so I'm eager to check it out. (Our dog would probably love doing more 'work' - she loves her 'hiking harness/backpack' that carries her water).

I'm just wondering though... These classes may be wonderful to teach my dog how to track, but do you think that they'll solve the problem of getting an obediate recall?

We live in an urban center, so here's a *possible* scenario: What if we're walking on-leash along a busy and road she sees/catches the smell of a cat, and slips her collar? I want a RELIABLE recall for both obedience/play and safety reasons.

Have you had similar 'recall' issues solved by a tracking class? I've had other family dogs (even terriers) that learned the recall MUCH better then our little HOUNDdog! So far, I'm sticking-out on training with the dog whistle. But I just bought a ~50m lead and want to incorporate that into some outdoor training... Hopefully that will do the trick.

Any other suggestions welcome!