Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM

Canada / US Price differences

I made a comment in another thread about Royal Canin's price differences...typically their food is 40% higher priced in Canada than the USA. This is PetSmart to PetSmart.

So I thought I'd add a couple that I've seen and see if all brands face this problem:

Royal Canin Medium 25 6 lb - $12.99 USA (Petsmart), $20.99 Canada (petsmart)
30lb - $42.99 USA $59.99 Canada

Iams Adult (Green Bag) 15lb - $14.99 USA (Target) $22.99 Canada (WalMart)
Merrick Cowboy Casserole 15lb - $26.99 USA (PetCo) $39.99 Canada (PetValu)

If you go to PetCo's website www.petco.com you can price a lot of foods including some of the higher end brands like BlueBuffalo, Merrick, Merrick BG, Innova, etc as well as the standard fare. The products are usually Identical, often made in Canada!, and there is anywhere from a 25% to 50% markup in Canada. The Royal Canin is the one that got me thinking as the last 30lb bag I bought in the USA was stamped "Made in Canada" and had the identical package including the English, French and Spanish writing on it, and both Metric and Imperial Weights, that you get here.

Thoughts? Personally I buy food whenever I am in the states but not everyone lives 20 minutes from the border.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

thoughts....I won't go into a petsmart store, we have one being built right now in our city and I refuse to go in it, not only do they sell live animals but they have breed discrimination.

I do know that I go cross border shopping and will buy my dogs treats states side at a much better price
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How much of the difference is due to taxes?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Those are pre-tax prices. To add insult to injury the state tax in Buffalo/Niagara Falls ranges from 7.5 to 8.75% depending on county, and in Ontario we pay 13% sales tax on top of those prices. So add another few percent into the price difference.

Plus there is no duty on dog food made in Canada or the USA being shipped to the other country under NAFTA.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, if those are pre-tax, that's quite a difference!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Wow, if those are pre-tax, that's quite a difference!
And remember the Canadian dollar is worth MORE than the US dollar, if only marginally.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
thoughts....I won't go into a petsmart store, we have one being built right now in our city and I refuse to go in it, not only do they sell live animals but they have breed discrimination.

I do know that I go cross border shopping and will buy my dogs treats states side at a much better price
What is Breed discrimination?

I don't mind one of my local Petsmarts, the other is horrible. We have PetValu (expensive!) and Global Pet Foods (don't like these stores - food snobs) as well.

Also we have a Bark and Fitz, which is a high end food and accessory store. Yet their prices are lower than Global, they do a buy 10 get the 11th free on ALL brands, and even though they are boutique they are hardly food snobs and very helpful. I get my Canidae and now Merrick from them (when I don't buy it stateside) , and used to get my Acana/Orijen there as well. Plus my dog gets groomed there for perhaps the best price and workmanship in town! I highly recommend them.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post

They don't do that here in Edmonton, at least not at the southside store. I see Pitties, Rotties and even spoke to a guy last night that was there picking up his Presa Canario who was just groomed (impressive looking dog!!!). Although, Nookie almost got eaten in Petsmart, when he was a baby, by a mad Pittie. You could tell the guy that owned him was probably not the most repsonsible of owners. Poor doggie

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:30 PM

I also live in Edmonton Southside and own a Cane Corso and have never had any issues with bringing him into Petsmart. Also have seen Pitties and couple Amstaffs around.

Maybe its a US thing because of legislation in your state?
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

i'm going to have to try that Rgeurts!!
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Can i ask how much tax you have to pay when you are crossing the board?