Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old April 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Needing a kitten replacement milk that doesn't use milk!

Hi all. I'm Mel, I'm new here and in a bind. We have a week old kitten that I've been feeding with replacement milk. I have just a day or two left that milk before it runs out and we are stuck behind a flooded creek and can't get out. I'm also rapidly running out of 2%milk for human use but I can grab a little of it to feed to the kitten if I have to. What I'd like to know is, if there is any thing I can cut the kitten replacement milk with that will strecth it for a day or two more. OR if there is any thing I can feed him that will not need cow's milk in the recipe. The 2%milk is the only other milk I have at the house. No PET milk or canned/dry milk at all. I was so not prepared for this flood! Any help at all would greatly appreciated. Thank you, Mel
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

what about pedialite? you can make your own, I have to do it for the wild critters when I rehab them.?

Basic recipe: Into four cups of boiling water, stir 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons sugar or honey.

cool before giving to any pet or child.
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM

Thank you Melinda! I'm going to make up a batch and hope that we don't need to use it!
Or
Maybe I should start using it now by alternating feeding the pedialite with the kitten formula I still have? Hopefully we won't be flooded in for more than a day or two more.
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I'm a softy

you can use 1/2 whole milk and half canned carnation milk.. in this situation i am sure you could use 2% and carnation milk if you have a can of it for baking in your pantry?also please make sure to wipe the babies bum with a wet cotten ball after each feeding until the baby pees and poops
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter