Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:02 PM
1st the wolf than the dog

Question Chosing a dog for obidience and agility...

Hi I have been 2 months looking books and internet about dogs for agility and obidience. Since from 60 days I have choosed a portuguese pondengo, but since I have been visiting school dogs and talking with (creators/breeders??
I'm sorry, I am portuguese and I just have a little dificultie to translate: how I say somoene who always have dogs breeding with race for sale??)

Well the point is: they told me that all what I have been searched is wrong or not correctly at all. I don't know what to do, woh we choose a good dog for agility/obidience?

By the way: I live in apartment, sow it's good if he gets well in a place with any garden or like that (but with a lot of walks and exercises_the best I could get to himXD)

Can any1 else hope me choosing? I'm confused... =(

Last edited by pick; March 14th, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Any dog can be good for obedience, its all about how you train them. If you put alot of time in to training your pup it can be an obedience star. Also any dog can do agility, some might be better suited though, you see a lot of border collies, shelties and quicker dogs doing it, you dont too often see something like a newfoundland dog doing agility, although it is possible. Try looking at a shelter you might find the perfect dog there.
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Pick,it's a little confusing,you want a dog who can do agility,but you say he will only get one hour of exercise a day.
Agility training and doing,probably takes a little more than 1 hour/day.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you picked,ok
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:02 PM
1st the wolf than the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hi Pick,it's a little confusing,you want a dog who can do agility,but you say he will only get one hour of exercise a day.
Agility training and doing,probably takes a little more than 1 hour/day.
Good luck in your search and let us know what you picked,ok
more than 1???

I thought that was lot for tham, how much they can take??

P.S: by the way, I have edit the post for more easely understanding ok?

Last edited by pick; March 14th, 2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:20 PM

some dogs one hour of exercise would by okay for, but high energy dogs like labs, border collies, aussies, boxers, pit bulls, jack russell terriers. If you only have 1 hour a day to exercise them maybe something with less energy would suit you better such as a **** tzu (such hreat little dogs ) daushcands, you have lots of possibilites. good luck,let us know what you pick
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Perhaps you have edited your post but I don't see anything about the dog getting only one hour of exercise a day. Assuming that's the part you edited I have to say how much I agree.

Your dog will not likely need an hour of training a day, probably that's way too much. But to excel in agility your dog will have to be conditioned. I think you need to examine how far you might want to go on both sides. Agility is very physically demanding and even advanced obedience is going to require a certain level of fitness for the jumping involved. It's a big, big, big committment for both of you. That's why my first Lab and I quit agility. The darn dog just kept getting better and better at it and I did not have the time to devote to the conditioning and training she needed to keep competing.

My current Lab, three years old, needs more than an hour a day of off leash running simply to dispel his high level of energy.

More and more where I am agility classes are offered for fun with no intention of competition. Maybe this would suit you?

I do have to laugh a bit because you did not mention the Portuguese Water Dog. My sister's trainer breeds these dogs and also teaches obedience and agility. Her dogs are her best examples though she does not seriously compete, just trials now and then for fun.

I have never heard of the Portuguese Podengo. I googled them and it seems to me the smaller, smooth coated type rather resembles an Ibizan hound. Lovely looking dogs. Like the Ibizan the PP is a sighthound and a hunter. At the following link it says they enjoy agility.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/podengo.htm

When my girl and I were trialing in agility the dog most serious competitors had were either Border Collies or Jack Russels. My trainer used to say, "oh you poor people whose dogs are in the same height category as a BC or a Jack but aren't one of those breeds" LOL, her warped way to encourage us I guess.

But as said above many, many breeds enjoy and do well at either of the activites you mention. Many at both at the same time too. My trainer bred and trained Airedales. Other people in my classes had miniature Schnauzers, Labs, Keeshonds, Papillons, Shelties as well as the BC. The only dogs I remember doing very poorly at the agility was one Siberian (and just that particular dog, not the whole breed) and one poor little Basset who kept stepping on her ears when on the dog walk so it was not safe for her. She seemed to like it though.

I wonder if because the breed you have chosen is quite rare that the breeders you have contacted are very thoroughly scrutinizing potential buyers? My very brief bit of reading on them says they are primarily a hunting dog and perhaps the breeders want them to be used for the sport they were bred for? What did they tell you was wrong with the dog and the use you have in mind? Are you a first time dog owner? They do sound as if they need an experienced handler. Good luck, let us know how this turns out. It would be neat to see photos of a PP here, if you do get one.

Tags
agility ; trainning