Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old February 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Nanook and Thorin's new homemade diet

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get a butcher shop (or specific places maybe?) to sell you bulk ground beef? I have talked to a couple of places, but they don't seem to offer any breaks in price for large quantities

Currently I am buying ground beef from Costco (which has the best quality and lowest price). I didn't realize how expensive this is going to be, or how much work lol. But they'r worth it. I went and bought a Foodsaver Vaccum sealer with a few rolls of 11" x 10'. And I'm having a very hard time finding the Calcium Carbonate or human grade Bonemeal. Anyone have any suggestions on where to find either one?

This is the diet:

Nanook:

28 ounces of ground beef
4 ounces of liver
8 ounces yam or sweet potato
8 ounces green/yellow beans and peas
1 egg
1000mg calcium (calcium carbonate or human grade bonemeal)
6 ounces greek yogurt

This is a daily amount split in to 2 meals.
Thorins will be the same, but a smaller amount.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

If you can find somewhere cheap let me know, ha, ha. I buy a pack of ground beef, a whole eye of round roast and a pack of whole chicken thighs every week at Costco just for the dogs. You bet home cooking isn't cheap, but they sure do like it.

clm
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Rguerts can't really help you cause i don't know Alberta that well but CLM have you tried the chinese grocerie stores,,there is one at brownsline and evans that are really good for raw for the dogs including organ meat and whole chicken carcass's for the bone needed. I know there is one on queen street in brampton too just not sure of the address.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish we could try raw for Nookie, but we can't. I think it would be easier than cooking lol. Hell, I wish we could even do chicken or something other than ground beef! But he's seems to be allergic to everything. I have to cook the veggies and liver , then puree it and mix in the cooked ground beef, yogurt, boiled egg and calcium (once I can find it!) It does say I can use 1/2 tsp ground eggshell if the other calcium options are not available. I'm thinking that may be what I have to do

It took me over 5 hours just to make 1 weeks worth of meals
I'll probably get a bit faster once I have done it a few times, but it's all the weighing, puree'ing etc lol.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Rguerts - are you buying the hamburger at Costco by the pkgs they have in the meat bins out front or by the box? I know up until my oldest stepson moved out last year I was buying it by the 60 pound box. I think it worked out a little cheaper to do it that way than by the smaller pkgs. Not even sure if they offer it at all Costcos. They do in St. Cats. here.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Rguerts - are you buying the hamburger at Costco by the pkgs they have in the meat bins out front or by the box? I know up until my oldest stepson moved out last year I was buying it by the 60 pound box. I think it worked out a little cheaper to do it that way than by the smaller pkgs. Not even sure if they offer it at all Costcos. They do in St. Cats. here.
Oh... I didn't think to ask if they sell it in bigger packages there!! I will go Friday, thank you!!

I did go to a couple of butcher shops and grocery stores, but they didn't offer any extra discounts on a larger purchase. I would like to buy 2-3 months worth at a time, then just take a full weekend to make the meals, package and freeze em.