Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old May 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM

Pond life

I'm considering giving my three ex-feeder comet goldfish to someone with a well established pond. They are living in a 33 gallon tank, it is being filtered with a huge filter because the tank is too small for them, so I think that it would be nice for them to live in a big happy pond, but, I feel totally sad and guilty to let them go. I don't want them to die... Am I making the right choice?

I know they're "just goldfish" and they don't really care about me, but I care about them, it's just not in my budget to upgrade my tank right now....

:
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I'm not a fish expert or anything, but my friend's parents had the same goldfish in their pond for years. So certainly they can survive in a pond if taken care of properly!

Because we lived in a area that got very cold in the winter, they would take the goldfish in for those months. They never seemed to mind the transition though... and the fish grew amazingly huge! Hahah.

Good luck with it!
Old May 18th, 2010, 12:31 PM

I would love for them to grow huge and old I don't think that I could buy a 100 gallon tank to accomodate that, unfortunately. I would make a pond, but my yard is tiny and my dogs would probably try to catch them/bathe in their water.
Old May 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

33 gallons is certainly too small for three goldfish, no matter how well filtered. Sufficient filtration will eliminate ammonia and nitrite, but will not eliminate nitrAtes, which can be harmful in high levels. Nitrates can only be eliminated by healthy plants, water changes, or a nitrate filter (the latter is hard to set up and run in a freshwater system). The only filter system that would eliminate nitrates is a drip system, where the water is being constantly changed out for fresh de-chlorinated water. If you would like to set something up like this I can help you, but it wouldn't eliminate the SPACE issues for your goldfish which is probably a concern.
Are you sure you can't upgrade to a larger tank? Used tanks can come cheap if you keep looking places like craigslist.

There is nothing wrong with them being a pond as long as the person knows how to overwinter and care for goldfish.

As for making a pond, you don't HAVE to dig. I currently have a 300 gallon trough in my backyard that is a pond. It doesn't take up as much room as you'd think. You can't overwinter in something like that unless you put a pond heater, but you could always bring the fish inside temporarily over the winter. Heck if you have enough room you can bring the whole trough inside, but you would need to cover it or else your house would have a ton of humidity.
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM

I honestly don't know much about this pond they would go to, other than it has been established for 7 years and is 12' deep and is something like 12' x 18'. I don't know if they currently have fish in it, or not.

When I got the 33 gallon about 6 years ago (the fish were not in it for that long), they were also selling 55 gallon tanks for $55, would that be an acceptable size for now? I can probably upgrade to that if I can get the extra $$. I've had a lot of sick pets the passed 6 months and haven't been able to spare a lot of money. Could you give me suggestions to help the current situation until I can afford a bigger tank?

Does that nitra-zorb stuff actually work? If i buy that with a bunch of plants?

I have tossed around the idea of a pond, but I am way too poor to even consider that right now. The grass area of my yard is probably the size of the guy's pond!

Thanks for your help, it's totally appreciated!
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

You can't just throw a bunch of plants into a tank. The tank needs to be set up for healthy plants, otherwise the plants will die and decay and cause more issues.

You could try some java moss, which will grow under a normal fluorescent strip. It's supposed to be really hardy and easy, grows like a weed, but I can't keep it alive no matter what

Java fern is also really easy to grow and needs little light. Don't just get random plants because some aren't even aquatic even though they're sold as such, and they'll die when submerged permanently.

Not sure about nitra-zorb, since I've never heard of it. The best way to eliminate nitrates is just to do water changes. You can test them and do water changes to keep them below 40.

Hmmm, I just looked it up and not sure I'd use that nitra-zorb. It absorbs not only nitrates, but nitrites and ammonia, so if it runs out you're going to have an ammonia spike. If you already have an established filter you don't need anything like that.

A 55g tank would probably be ok, but a 75g would be better because it's bigger front to back and has a bit more water volume. If you do upgrade, do not discard your filtration system since it already has all of your biological bacteria (the stuff that removes nitrites and ammonia) just move it to the new tank.

Really you need to be tested your water for nitrite, ammonia and nitrate, probably weekly. Your water quality may not be as bad as you think, or it may be worse, but you don't know unless you test. If you can't afford a test kit, most fish stores will test your water for you.