Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Changing Dog Food

Hi, I am new here but have read your threads and am impressed with your knowledge. Now I need help.

On the advice of my Vet I was feeding my dog Hills Prescription dry dog food. He is overweight and cannot lose weight, itches all of the time, need I say more. I found out that I really needed to make a change, researched, researched, and ended up with Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato. After about two weeks he had loose potty & I decided it was too rich for my guy and he really didnt want to eat it so I decided I needed a reduced calories diet for his weight anyway. Back to the board, I went with Natural Balance Original Ultra Reduced Calorie diet. It has a combination of meats, fruit, veggies, salmon oil, oatmeal, vitamins, etc. I did think the protein percentage was low but I put grilled chicken cut up on top of his food each day. No seasoning at all. Now after two weeks for giving him this food, his potty is still very soft, and often he tries to go again and it is so runny (sorry) that we cannot pick it up. I so wanted this change to be good for him, make him feel better, hopefully stop the itching, but nothing. Has it been long enough for the original Hills food to completely be eliminated from his system, and has it been long enough on this new food. If I start on another new food, I am concerned he will have the same problem, so I dont know what to do and would appreciate your input. He has blown both knee ligaments, he is a little overweight but we walk him three times a day, and he has arthritis in both rear joints and one front ankle. I give him adequain injections, cosamine ds, and rimadyl pills. He is a little stiff but not real bad in his rear legs, his front ankle is worse and I need to get his weight down because he limps a little after trying to run. Thank you for any help.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Geek Club CEO

Have you thought of a grain-free, even raw diet? High protein, low carb...it can work wonders for overweight pups (personally I hate low-cal diets, they're usually full of grain fillers like corn, all they do is contribute to the problem...I'd much rather feed smaller amounts of high-quality food).

There is the possibility that seasonal allergies are contributing to the itchies, too, our GSD is scratching like a loon these days...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Changing Dpg Food, Grain Free

The Duck and Potato was grain free. The Low Calorie food I am feeding now doesnt have any of the allergy causing gluten grains in it, it has oatmeal.

I wanted to put him on a higer protein diet but many sites are mis-informed on giving senior dogs high protein diets and I did not know that until I had started him on the low calorie food. But, I do add chicken every night so that must help with the higher protein.
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Geek Club CEO

If I were you I'd probably try a raw diet at this point. Raw meat, bones and organs, and that's it. No oatmeal, potatoes nothing. Portion controlled (of course) so you can monitor and manage the body weight. It will encourage fat loss and encourage lean muscle mass. Supplement with fish oil (omegas) for healthy skin/coat.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:33 PM
-

I agree raw is the best but if that is not an option for you then a grain free kibble is a must. It can take several months for his system to adjust to a premium grain free kibble after eating a brand like Hills. I don't think you gave him long enough but I also don't think a meat protein like duck was the best for him either as it is quite rich.

Do you have Orijen or Acana Provincial where you live? They are both made by the same manufacturer ( www.championpetfoods.com ) and are the best grain free brands imo ....alot of the members here feed it as well. Check out their store locator if you are interested as they also have online distributors.

Another brand is Innova EVO ( www.naturapet.com ) if you can't find Orijen/Acana Provincial. He is probably still going to have loose poop for awhile but you can add some digestive enzymes or prebiotics to help him adjust. But his itchies should go away sooner.
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Dog Food Changes

I do have those brands available to purchase near by. I have no idea on how to go about a raw diet and he cannot eat bones easily without me holding them for him. He has arthritis in one of his front ankles and cannot hold bones very well. I try to help him and hold it, but I dont turn it like he wants it to be, etc.

Is there several food types of Orijen, like chicken, liver, fish, etc., if so which one would you suggest?

I am so sick about putting my baby through this. I have no idea why I put my trust in the Vet regarding his diet, I usually am not like that. Especially with him, he is my baby.

I have always grilled chicken breasts (no seasoning added) and put about 1/4 chopped up on top of his dry kibble. He loves it and sits patiently while I cut it up, and is very happy the day we grill a new batch, but do you think I should continue doing this? Also, when I change to Orijen, should I add the Natural Balance in and change slowly? Or, because it is not agreeing with him, change it over immediately. I dont want to make him sicker than he is already. Thank you for your help.