Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM

Mast cell tumor

Our 10 year old husky cross had a small lump removed from her nose last week. A week after the surgery she started having an allergic reaction with facial swelling and hives. She was injected with steroids/benadryl and the reaction subsided but returned so she is now on benadryl every 8 hours.

Today we have found out that the lump was a mast cell tumor (intermediate grade) - we tried to have it biopsied before the surgery but the results were inconclusive so it was just removed with no extra tissue removed around it - which apparently you should do if you know it is a mast cell tumor.

These results also explain why she has had an immune response as the tumor or remaining cells produce histamine.

We haven't discussed these results with our vet - she will be back from holidays in a few days - but what I have read really worries me.

Last year, our other dog was diagnosed with a sarcoma in her leg and we had it removed only to find that the pathologist was mistaken when he looked at the biopsied cells and it was just a benign fibroid so I have been trying to not worry so much about lumps and bumps - only to find out these results.

Just thought I'd see if there are any others here who have experienced this type of tumor?

Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
-

SuperWanda, I am so sorry to hear the news and, it's really too bad that the vet didn't remove a safety margin of the surrounding tissue. :sad:

I don't have any experience with this type of cancer but just wanted to wish you all the best for your girl and hope something more can be done.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
-

I just googled and found this website and there's lots more links at the bottom of the page but perhaps you have already read it ....

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/mastcelltumor.html
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I have sadly. My very first rescue cat that I adopted to my parents 15 years ago was diagnosed last November. It is a horrible tumour and they seem to appear and erupt over night. Sadly, at age 16 just 3 weeks ago my mom and I helped him over the bridge. (RIP little man).

It is a horrible tumour(s) however they are not painful but if they erupt there is dicomfort which is remedied with medication.

I wish you the very best. All I can recommend is to monitor the tumours, be aware of new growths and keep in touch with the vet on a regular basis which I am certain from what you write - you are doing just that.

My heart is so with you on this.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM

Thank you.

I feel very worried about it. We noticed it last year and didn't rush to have it removed. We tried to biopsy it but the results were inconclusive. We decided to keep an eye on it and as it was still slowly growing we went ahead with the removal but no one, including our vet was all that worried about it. More of a cosmetic issue it seemed.

I am now feeling terrible about waiting so long when it could have potentially been removed a lot earlier perhaps when it was only a stage 1.

Now, the surgery has disturbed it which I feel may be even worse.

I guess I need to wait and get more information from the vet but everything I read does not seem positive.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

SuperWanda - don't blame this on yourself. Mass Cell Tumour does not seem to be that familiar with vets. Biopsy after biopsy always came back unconclusive. If unconclusive then why worry right??

Even the removal is not a guarantee that it will come out somewhere else. They have a tendancy to spread very quickly, just keep your eye on that.

So sorry that you are watching this - it is horrible I know only too well.:sad: