Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Question Changing Kitty Litter

I'm a new cat owner so i don't really know too much about kitty litter. I know that you are supposed to completely change the kitty litter and pour in a new batch. I just have some questions about that.

1. How should i dispose of the old kitty litter?

2. How often should i change it?

I'm currently using a clay kitty litter but i'm planning on switching to a more environmentally and cat friendly litter soon.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Slave to Tonks

I use pine pellets for my kitties. It's cheap (about 9$ for a big bag); it smells great; it's healthy. We dump it on a weekly basis and simply put it out with the garbage.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:08 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A while back we had a thread going about litters. Which one was best, etc. This is the link. It should give you lots of ideas. I am not sure what the disposal laws are in your area. Some towns allow litter in their green bins. Others don't. It's great you are so commited to this. It's one more plus for keeping Karlton inside.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ghlight=zztopp
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
A while back we had a thread going about litters. Which one was best, etc. This is the link. It should give you lots of ideas. I am not sure what the disposal laws are in your area. Some towns allow litter in their green bins. Others don't. It's great you are so commited to this. It's one more plus for keeping Karlton inside.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ghlight=zztopp
Yep, i read that thread. I was thinking i would try the regular wood shavings. How did that work for you in the end, 14+?
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I still use it for my catuary cats when they are outside (they are fenced and can't get out of their area) but in the house I prefer either Feline Pine or Swheat Scoop. Swheat Scoop is the only one that hubby doesn't complain about the smell. Of course with 5 kitties in the house and the boxes on the main floor I am scooping every chance I get. It lasts pretty long. If you scoop a couple of times a day, stay on top of it, then you only have to completely change it out once a month. The only thing I don't like about it is that it tends to track but a small mat in front of the litter boxes help that problem.
You could always try the Equine Pine. I haven't been able to find it here.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM

Great. I will try to make a trip down to the pet store this weekend. I live outside a small rural town that doesn't have a pet supply store. The hardware store, grocery store, and vet office all carry a small amount of pet stuff, but they don't have much of a selection. They just carry clay litter. Crossing my fingers that the roads will clear up soon.