Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Exclamation My FIRST puppy...help!

Hi there!

My name's Liana I'm 16 years old...yesterday I bought my first puppy, Maggie, she's a Maltese Shih-poo mix and she's 8 weeks old.

The breader lived quite far from where I live so on the way home of the 2 hours drive Maggie was vomiting quite a bit.

Anyway, my biggest concern right now is training her and leaving her when I have to go to school and my parents to work.

Since this is my first puppy I really don't know how to train her.
I did as much research as I can, but I can't seem to be executing the tips I learned the way I want it...especially when it comes to potty training.
She has been peeing and pooing anywhere but the spot we designated for her to do her stuff.

In her "room" which is a walk-in closet, there is her bed, her food and water bowl, and a low cardboard box with newspaper in it (her designated spot).
I wait 15-20 minutes after she drinks or eats, and then I put her in the box and wait for her to do her stuff. She doesn't seem to understand and when she tries to leave I say "No, Maggie!" and she stays. After waiting a few minutes she just sleeps in the box.

When she has accidents I try to point at it and say "No!" and try to make her snif it, but she seems to think it's a game.

Another thing is I'm worried about leaving her by herself when I go to school, from 8 a.m to 3 p.m.
How do I feed her?
And how can I make sure she doesn't get bored, or feel neglected?
And how can I make sure she will do her stuff in the designated area?

I really don't know what to do anymore, I need ALL the suggestions and advice I can get. It's only been day one but I want her to get into good habits as soon as possible.

Thanks in advice!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM

thanks in advance***
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:49 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Hi Liana and welcome to the board.

Congratulations on you new puppy though I have to say I hope you did not pay that breeder too much for you mixed breed pup and I especially hope that your puppy is indeed at least 8 weeks old. I also hope that you have found a good vet and that you have an appointment set for you new furbaby.

Is there a reason why you are trying to train your dog to potty inside in a "litter box" for lack of a better word? Is going outside not an option?
Whatever the reason, it sounds like you are asking the dog to potty where she eats/sleeps and that is not going to happen. If she must go inside it should be in another area away from where she eats/sleeps. Also, remember, she is ONLY A BABY and you have only had her for one day...potty training can take weeks and months!!!! I hope you are prepared

Who is going to be home with the dog while you are at school from 8-3? A dog that age can not be left for longer than 2 hours, 3 max. Have you made arrangements for this? Whoever is staying home with her should be letting her out or guiding her to the litter box after she has eaten, woken up or played.

Is this the first family dog? There is a lot of information on this site so I hope you can peruse it.

Good luck with your new Maggie and please post pics soon.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hi and welcome!

It sounds like Maggie has taken the box as her bed and as already mentioned, she won't want to potty where she sleeps. Eight weeks old is soooo young and it will take many weeks/months to teach her what to do. If you have to keep her inside to potty, you might want to buy "piddle pads" and place one maybe near the door to go outside so she learns that is the direction to go when it's potty time.

It's a very confusing time for a new puppy (and a new owner too!). Hopefully someone will be home with Maggie to feed her, water her, socialize her and teach her everything she needs to know.

Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Catlover2

Liana, you're not going to like what I am going to suggest. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't sound like you did your homework in the amount of care a young puppy needs. You're away too long during the day at school, as are your parents at work, unless they work shifts. Any other family member at home? Is it possible you can return "Maggie" to the breeder for a full refund, and get another one when you're finished your school term? Summertime is an ideal time to potty-train her when you would be home a lot and you would be able to train her and give her the attention she deserves.
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
-

Liana, Maggie is far too young to be on her her own. Puppies absolutely need socialization with humans and other dogs to become well-mannered canine citizens.

If there is no one at home to care for her, I strongly recommend you consider a dog day care.

Tags
dog, first pet, new puppy, potty training, training