Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

View Poll Results: Who do you prefer, Brad or Cesar?
Brad 17 14.17%
Cesar 71 59.17%
Neither 29 24.17%
Both are equal 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Pet Guardian

Question Cesar Milan vs Brad Pattison

Both are dog trainers with shows on TV, and I personally find that their styles are very different, though the outcomes seem to be similar.

Brad is the host/trainer of "At The End of My Leash", Cesar is the host/trainer for "Dog Whisperer". At The End is on Slice Network, Whisperer shows on National Geographic Channel.

Just thought I'd put up a poll - who do you like (or both) and why? Or why do you dislike them both?

My opinion:
I prefer Brad over Cesar. I think Cesar has his place in the training world, too, but I think he works with more extreme animals - the ones who have learned some dangerous habits, where Brad takes on dogs with bad habits that aren't necessarily dangerous (though some of them are).

I'm not sure that either show is the kind of thing a "typical" guardian would watch to get some tips on how to train their own animals. If you have a difficult dog, it's probably not going to help much to watch either of them, IMO - it's almost always better to find a trainer that you feel comfortable with to actually work *with* you and the dog directly.

That being said, I'd rather watch At The End of My Leash over Dog Whisperer any day of the week.

What's your opinion?

Melissa

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet."
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I like them both.different styles of training.with Brad he doesn't sugar coat anything at all.i have meet Brad and he tells it like it is.and Brad does work with aggressive dogs.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I way prefer Cesar over Brad. Although they both get results and I like what both are doing, I can't stand the yelling and screaming Brad does ... personally, I just find it annoying.

Cesar is not so much a dog trainer either - I mean he doesn't teach sit, down, come ... he does teach how to be the pack leader which is probably most important =) Alright ... Cesar is my idol
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les View Post
I way prefer Cesar over Brad. Although they both get results and I like what both are doing, I can't stand the yelling and screaming Brad does ... personally, I just find it annoying.

Cesar is not so much a dog trainer either - I mean he doesn't teach sit, down, come ... he does teach how to be the pack leader which is probably most important =) Alright ... Cesar is my idol
Totally have to agree with you on this one.....he's my idol too! I use a lot of his tips and tricks with our dogs and it's turning out great
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM

It seems to me that both Brad and Cesar employ variants on the "traditional' methods of training ie. dominance, etc. I wish there was a good show on TV where someone used more "modern" methods especially on dogs with severe behavioual problems. I always read about how the modern school disses the traditiional school when it comes to training but I've not seen any evidence of how successful a purely modern method works with out of control dogs. I'm not saying clicker training can't stop or prevent a dog fight, but I just haven't seen it and it would be good to have a show on TV that presented that side of things.
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Honestly when it comes to dog fights and aggression, I do not think clicker training would be useful, as the dogs tone out everything, sound wise.
Most important when it comes to those issues is control, and reading the dogs body language before it escalates to anything.
Personally you have to find the methods that will work with your dog, different behaviors will require different methods.
Point is to know your dog. I have used the exercise, discipline, affection with Harley, in between that and knowing what stresses him out, he is finally becoming the dog I need him to be. As seen at the st patty's parade.
For Harley what really works is working, he needs to work to control his mind.
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM

cesar but ive never seen the other guy.

i feel like he goes right to the heart of dog behavior and dog psychology, and it makes so much sense when he explains it.

just my .02
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I love Cesar!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Agility Addict

Neither...

Cesar IMO has re-popularized fear/force based methods that were on their way out. The alpha thoery has long been discredited but with the coming of the "dog whisperer", dominating dogs is becoming more and more ingrained:sad:
http://dogpublic.com/articles/articl...id=14&pid=1640

I've watched a lot more Pattison shows than Cesar because a friend of mine adores him and tapes them (I refuse to contribute to his (or Cesar's) ratings so I only watch the shows that others have taped). Personally I spend most of the time either laughing at Pattison's behaviour and ridiculous statements or frustrated that people are welcoming him into their home so that he can terrorize their dogs...

Old June 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

just by saying his name on line....in print is a "boon" for Cesar or Brad, there are consulting firms that have software continually searching the net for any mention of their names. Dog Whisperer and End of my leash are clients for one firm in Ottawa and receive reports daily of how many times their names or show is mentioned.

That said, I like both their shows and realize there is more being done than what they have time to show in their alloted time. I read both their forums for behind the scene stuff and they totally amaze me, my hats off to them for correcting behavior that 9 out of ten times land dogs in pounds or being euthanized.

*L* I just gave each of them a "boon" *L*
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Swift Tribe

heh, thought you might enjoy this-

http://www.google.com/trends?q=cesar...ate=all&sort=0

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Swift Tribe

or this one-

http://www.google.com/trends?q=cesar...=0&ctab=0&sa=N

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Brad vs. Ceasar

Personally i believe Brad is much better than Ceasar. I do not like Ceasar's techniques with the choke collars, pinch collars, electric fences etc.. I went to a Brad Pattison seminar recently and he is not fake i saw for myself and i was the youngest person there so i was the demo person alot. He taught me alot, i did not have to pull on the chain hard to get the dogs i was demoing with to understand. You go to any trainer and you will see they yank so hard. Brad uses friendly collars whereas Ceasar uses pinch collars, prong collars etc. And i do not agree with choking or pinching a dog to get them to listen, they are only listening out of fear! Brad is very upfront and may come off rude to people but he is just telling the truth you can't have a dog walk all over you. He can seem very rude but Brad knows that if you are all mushy about the truth people wont take anything as seriously.

And whoever thinks that Brad uses choke chains you have extremly faulty information he uses the HustleUp collars(martingale) only he throws out any other collars because they are not effective. Ceasar is the one who uses the choke chains, pinch collars, prong collars, shock collars etc.

GO BRAD!

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:55 AM
banned user

Brad Pattison is an abusive ignorant person who knows next to nothing about dogs. In an interview I heard him complain about the "fancy" term of reinforcement. He uses body as a weapon to move dogs out of the way, instead of teaching them. He jerks the sh** out of dogs as seen in a youtube series and he perpetually believes that all dogs are trying to usurp humans.

He is a hucksters, selling his products as the panacea to all of your dogs problems, his use of choke collars (and yes, half choke collars are still choke collars) borders on abuse. He punishes the dogs without ever teaching them what they should be doing. It's like watching a lion tamer from the 18th C, except without the whip.

His diploma mill "school" is possibly the worst of all and show how greedy his is, only into the money. There are plenty of stories in his forum about people with no experience in owning - much less training - dogs who take his lame course to start their own brute force approach just like him.

Millan is not much better, he too relies on punishment to drive the dog into "calm submissiveness" - the rest of us who studied pysc call it LEARNED HELPLESSNESS.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Agility addict

I was watching some BP vids on youtube. Umm you don't have to use a choke to be abusive. And I know some very none abusive people who use prongs. (acutually most of the top obed people in Canada use prongs and clickers together. Ricki Abrams and Marie Sawford come to mind)

Its not the materials so much.. its how you use them. I watched BP abuse dogs. He hit them in the face for looking around, he clothes lined them around trees... no reason to do such things.

CM for all that I dislike what he does.. I do think he does love dogs, I never get that impression with BP. He never looks like he likes the dog he is working with.
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM

gee wiz, I watched about 2 mins total from his youtube street safety seminar and I watched him clothesline a husky about 5 times in 1 minute, by running next to a tree then jumping to the other side so when the dog had 2 options, strangle itself on the other side, or crash into the tree trying to get to the other side. Then I switched to another clip and watched him march around with a pit mix that we was waiting for it to step in front of him so he could pop it hard enough to whip it around. then he cracked it in the face for looking around. How does this guy have his own show? how does he have any credibility? I don't think I ever heard him give anyone any guidance just walking around trying to get a perceived good result to stroke his ego. Even in general interviews he seems shady and psychotic... I watched a bit more and watched him smack another dog in the face and put his hand up in someones face and scream at them saying they were annoying him, I literally feel uncomfortable watching this guy. I don't understand how someone did not get up in his face for cracking a dog on the nose as hard as he did, people call the cops on that type of thing if they see it happen in the park.. seriously

Last edited by cell; January 30th, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old February 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
banned user

I saw that video a couple of days ago. I was appalled that nobody complained and we actually heard someone laugh as the dog was hanged around a tree. This jerk abruptly changed direction just so he could show the dog who's boss.

I too watched that video, and I wonder what exactly was the dog supposed to LEAVE, when it was looking directly at Pattison. There was absolutely no reason to hit him in the face like that. The leash jerks that preceded this hit were also unfair.

Finally there is a third video in which he is holding a woman's dog, calls her annoying for asking questions and the proceeds to yank, hang and hit her dog in the face for no reason.

I've written to Slice and some of the shows sponsors to complain about this abusive jerk. Maybe if the sponsors pull out, his show will be cancelled.
Old April 5th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Never seen the other guy over here........ But Ceaser gets my vote as he is quite calm in getting humans to empower themselves over animals in thier care for the best for both lives, Animal and owner.We had a dog obediance trainer over here years back on T.V.who was like a Sergent Major.Ceaser is so much more in touch with life.

Last edited by Stewart; April 5th, 2009 at 05:01 AM.
Closed Thread