Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:05 PM
kjz99z28 kjz99z28 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Wheaten Terrier

I'm trying to do some research on soft coated wheaten terriers, and am having a very hard time finding places to discuss wheatens with their actual owners!! What better place than here?

I am looking at getting (hopefully rescue) a wheaten. But I wanted to make sure this breed was right for me before jumping into it. I won't be ready for one 'til this summer, anyway.

I've heard a few things about their personality, but it's hard to judge what they're truly like from websites trying to describe a breed. When it says they have a "slight problem with jumping," what exactly do they mean?

Are they rough with people and other animals? For example, I'll have a young maltese who is expected to weigh no more than ~7 lbs when fully grown, and I want to make sure the wheaten will not be too rough with him. My main reason for getting a 2nd dog is because I want them to have each other when I am gone. (I'm working on a major.)

I want a good companion for Stanley (my maltese), want a dog that will not shed (at least not very much), and will be great indoors. If anyone has a suggestion for another breed that would go great with Stanley, let me know! I want to have a medium sized dog, but that make not work out with stanley being so small.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Rottielover Rottielover is offline
Rottie owner and lover
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,799
wouldn't it be a better thing to wait until your puppy is a bit older. Once training has been worked on for a long while, and house breaking issues have past. Build a bond through training with your first puppy before bringing a new one home
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
kjz99z28 kjz99z28 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
wouldn't it be a better thing to wait until your puppy is a bit older. Once training has been worked on for a long while, and house breaking issues have past. Build a bond through training with your first puppy before bringing a new one home
Well, I'm going to wait as long as i can, but the main factor here is that I have this summer off from school, and will be home most of the time. I want to be able to dedicate as much time to the new puppy as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
diandpat's Avatar
diandpat diandpat is offline
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,979
Check out Yahoo Groups

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftCoatedWheatens/

I joined this group in 2003 when I was adopted by a "wheatable". Had no idea what to do with a terrier since I had only had my very calm golden since 2001.

This group was invaluable with all the information they share and it is linked to a wheaten rescue in the states. There is a vet with 30 yrs experience on the mailing list that specializes in wheatens who will share all kinds of information too. I would suggest you lurking around there for a bit and see what others have to say before you get either a wheaten or "wheatable" (their term for a mixed breed! lol)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
SnowDancer SnowDancer is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,900
I don't have a Wheaten but I sure know what the jumping comment means - Wheatens CAN JUMP - AND DO! I have seen one in action at my dog's once a week socialization - that dog can jump pretty darned high! A fellow my husband works with has 2 - both jumpers. So far his dogs have not developed pancreatitis - they are quite young - but it is a ailment comment to the breed as I understand it.
__________________
:king:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
kjz99z28 kjz99z28 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftCoatedWheatens/

I joined this group in 2003 when I was adopted by a "wheatable". Had no idea what to do with a terrier since I had only had my very calm golden since 2001.

This group was invaluable with all the information they share and it is linked to a wheaten rescue in the states. There is a vet with 30 yrs experience on the mailing list that specializes in wheatens who will share all kinds of information too. I would suggest you lurking around there for a bit and see what others have to say before you get either a wheaten or "wheatable" (their term for a mixed breed! lol)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you so so much for the link!! Google wasn't being very helpful, and I wasn't sure where else to turn.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
My dads neighbour has a Wheaten.Tonka is the most loveable dog.He is great with other dogs and loves kids,they have a 2 year old.Tonka also loves playing with my GSD.

I've been told by Gary that the jumping is what they call a Wheaten welcome.Something to do with this being their way of greeting people.

Quote:
but the main factor here is that I have this summer off from school, and will be home most of the time. I want to be able to dedicate as much time to the new puppy as possible.
Just wanted to comment on this.

My suggestion to you is,make sure this pup has some time to him/herself.Your off for the summer,spend time with this pup,then all of a sudden it's back to school.Then pup doesn't have you around.Sometimes this is how seperation anxiety happens.And it won't matter that you have Stanley.It will be the human contact that the pup will crave.....Hope that made sense.
__________________
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.