Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:02 AM
-

Lantana

I know it's early yet, but spring is just around the corner, right?
Last summer I bought some Lantana plants, in some southern parts (not Canada) they are a shrub. I bought them inside the house to overwinter and they seem to be doing quite fine. Question: They are all in the same pot and I want to separate them in the Spring and share. Does anyone know if by pulling the roots apart will end in their demise? I can't find much info. about them regarding overwintering. All advice is appreciated.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My book says to propagate by seeds in spring or semi-ripe cuttings in the summer so my guess would be - don't separate.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
-

Thanks, I've never been that successful at propergating from cuttings, they generally die for me I will try again this year, if not I'll just keep them for myself and have folks admire them
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Doggie Wench

I've just looked up Lantana and they really are quite pretty! Something I may consider planting in the front yard this spring. I did read that the leaves, as well as the unripe green berries, are considered toxic. I thought I'd mention it in case your pets have access to your plants.

Now that you've planted Spring and gardening in my mind, I have to run to my favorite gardener's website and check out their new catalog .
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
cat slave

you HAVE to sepparate!

that's how it goes. Otherwise they get too clustered and the roots have no room to breathe. If the roots get ripped off, it's ok. They grow back. The plant can survive as long as you leave some roots on. The goal is to rip off as little as possible, but if oyu'r enot experienced, it'll be ok.

when you overwinter them, you shouldn't water them as much.

If i were you i'd wait to separate until they come back to life because if it's dormant, the plant won't have enough energy to grow and adapt. It'll be very weak. So let them like that and when you're ready to take them outside, separate and feed abd the roots will grow.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:30 AM
cat slave

oh and they are shrubs. So if you take them inside every winter, chances are that it'll stay a shrub. And when it gets bigger, you need a bigger pot.