Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Compromised account

Lightbulb Cat issue: Hello and I need your help please!

Hello everybody! I will be posting an introduction of myself shortly, but right now I really needed to ask you for your valued opinions.
My kitty, Max, a 5 yr old domestic shorthaired, indoors cat only, has been behaving kind of weird lately, I would say about a month, he is scratching excessively, loses hair in patches, his fur went very dull and looks awful, almost as if he was rolling under a car... just a couple of days ago he developed these red bumps, they are dry, but he is VERY ITCHY, I can tell, because he no longer licks himself, he bites...I took him to our vet yesterday, she said its some kind of food allergy, and put him on Medi-Cal. But what I need to know is : Has any of your cats experienced this before? What was the cause? Do you have any recommedations for me other than change of food? That would take time and I was hoping theres some kind of product for immediate relief, even if it is only external. :sad: I gave him a bath about 2-3 weeks ago, but that didnt seem to do much good...:sad:
I (and Max) appreciate any and all advice in advance!
Thanks!!

Last edited by JennieV; January 4th, 2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typing mistake
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Learning fast

1st off welcome. I'll try and address some issues and then it's probably going to be a mass execution of medi-cal with some vet tech chirping in on how good it is
The part about being under a car alarm bells ringing, I work on cars all the time and as such I have engines laying around, I thought my baby had been hiding out inder one when she was covered in what looked like the crud on the outside of a bad engine, turns out it was dried blood from an absess under her tounge and bleeding gums from tarter build up. I would get some of hte tarter remover additive and put that in the food immeadiatly, I thought it was a gimick and found out to late it really really works. Look under the tounge and by the gums for any bleeding. If it's not what I describe then I'm sorry, but I really thought my angel was covered in grease and to my shock the problems just got worse and worse. Externally there is not a lot to do except bathing (if tollerated) with non medicated shampoo. Internally, well where to start, I guess probiotics may melp replenish her gut with enzymes that may have been washed out of the system. Next is the good old subject of food, the one your giving is not helping, cereals are known to be the biggest allergins and medical has it all. I would look for a simple diet with as few protein scorces as possible, if no change in a week change to another protein, and again untill you have found what you are trying to aviod. A friend of mine swapped to a venison based food as it elimanted all the problems in one go. Now she knows it was 'something' in the food, in a few months she will revist each protein one at a time and find out what it was, for the mean time she is happy the allergies are gone. So my only sudgestion is have a look at somewhere that gives you the breakdown, try and find a food that is obtainable and has gotten rid of the cereals, or go you could try homecooking for a week, something like emu and rice and seeing if that helps (something that would be not included in the previous foods). I'll open the floor to the others as they have loads more information than I could ever hope to give. Good luck and keep us informed.
P.S. pictures 'well or not' are required...............regularly.

Last edited by x.l.r.8; January 4th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Live well, laugh often

First of all are you sure that you don't have a flea issue. Sometimes fleas are very hard to see so I would check for that first. I would also suggest that the vet run a general test panel to check for things like a thyroid issue. If it is food allergies then you should check the ingredient list in your regular food and try a new food that has different ingredients. It would be helpful if you could list for us the ingredients in both your original food and the new stuff. The vet stuff is usually not very high quality (lots of grains). I would also suggest adding a little salmon oil to his food which may help with the dry skin. If he still seems really itchy then take him back to the vet and get a cortisone shot which should give him some relief for about a month or so. You can also call your vet about advice on allergy meds which can also be used short term.
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I would get some of hte tarter remover additive and put that in the food immeadiatly, I thought it was a gimick and found out to late it really really works.

Sorry, not trying to threadjack but I've always been curious about this stuff. Could you tell me what the ingredients are?
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Learning fast

The stuff I have is wysong Dentatreat,
A special blend of dental active natural cheeses, torna minerals, Calcium lactate, Aloe Vera, Potassium Citrate, Direct fed microbe cultures (enteroccus faecium, Lactobacillus, bifidus, and salivarius), Milk Calcium, Apple Polyphenols, Natural Enzymes, Wysong whole salt, fructooligo-saccharides, Chromium yeast, Isolated milk proteins (including Lactoferrin and Lactoperoxidase)
Clear as mud now
Don't know if it's good but the tarter on the kittens (15 years old) has gone and we now have them back on a good food (changed food 3 years ago when we came over as they were on a UK holistic food and just grabbed something cheap, cats loved it so thought no more about it), now I wish I had done my homework. This stuff worked for my 2 remaining cats, unfortunatly nothing would have helped the tumour on their mummy's tounge.
It may not work for all animals but one of the kittens was due to go to the vets in 3 months for tarter removal, when the 3 months came up, no treatment needed and her teeth are superb. I will probably find out the stuff is worse than the what is stops but right now they have clean teeth and good food.
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

You may want to see if they can give you a sample from the pet store. The dentatreat gave my cats hairballs like crazy.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938