Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM

my dog continues to chew her pads off her feet / IMAGES / please help!! :(

hello, i have a 5 year old pitbull/boxer mix and she has (over the last 9 months) at random chewed and bit off her foot padding numerous times...
she has always been a licker of her feet, but lately i will find myself waking up in the middle of the night with my dog breathing very very fast and 1 or more of her pads have been chewed off...
she will lick and lick and lick them, then she starts to bite and tear...
usually this is done out of sight from me, but sometimes when it is really bad she will begin doing it right infront of me and i have to tell her to stop over and over and over...

ive had her in and out of the vet literally 30 times within the last 9 months and when she does chew one off it then takes about a 3-6 weeks to fully heal back...depending on severity,
for the last 4 months she has had to wear that stupid cone on her head at all times while im out of my apartment because she continues to attempt at chewing them off...sometimes i fall asleep without putting the cone on her and by the time i awake an hour later she has another one halfway off...(this has happened 3 times)
i hate leaving her in that damn cone!!! i have one of the soft collars now that is a downward cloth instead of the see-thru ring that went around her head but regardless they both suck and she shouldnt have to wear them!!!

at first my vet thought it was just that she is allergic to something, so she had me stop feeding her human food alltogether,
after many trials of food we have settled on a mixture of Purina HA Hypo-allerginic & Purina LA Limited-antigen...she seems to like that and it is very hypo-allergenic supposedly.
allergic to what tho? she has never done this before...

then my vet tells me it could be seperation anxiety..cuz my dog is very attached to me...
again, this has never happened before and ive had my dog 5 years... + she will do it right in front of me if i let her!!!

we have did scrappings, blood tests, my vet actually cut chunks of her paws out under anestesia so she could send it in for lab work...
nothing came back out of normal ranges...
it is simply mind boggling-

she also takes vetus pet vites & skin formula 3V Caps (which contains fishoil & fatty acids)
& has been on, and is still currently on Azathioprene (50mg tablet per day)- isnt this bad for dogs???

if ANYONE can help, even the slightest suggestion or big of knowledge would mean a great deal...
i appreciate it so much,

i have attached many pictures to help you get a vision of what im dealing with...

pictures of the actual aftermaths---

pictures of random weird pad growths---

pictures of random blisters---

pictures of recent dis-coloring of the pads (just happened recently)---

Last edited by sways_bodyguard; May 10th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hi Sways, first off, you need a second opinion on the allergies, not only does it sound like she's got em, but Purina anything is crap food and full of stuff that could be making her worse - despite her liking it. Innova makes a very good food for dogs with allergies and sensitivities - more about that here in the Pet food forum that you might want to check out. Prin is our resident food expert AND has a very handsome dog that has mad allergies to chicken, so hopefully she'll weigh in here soon. That being said, find out if your vet does an allergy panel, much like in humans, to see if you can pinpoint through bloodwork (rather than trial and error) what's the underlying cause of her allergies. Sadly, most vet's, though knowledgeable about lots, have NO CLUE about food and will push any old thing, regardless of how bad it really is (Purina foods have heinous ingredients and so there's a reason they put by-product rather than stating what - if they even know). I hope your girl feels better soon and please check back with an update on how she's doing.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Addicted to puppy

My sister has a french bulldog with the same problem. She licks and licks and licks, and her pads are red and swollen. They did an allergy panel and discovered that she is allergic to all sorts of grasses (including the grass in their backyard) and lots of others. They are going through a desensitization with her, and it has reduced the itching and redness considerably. Your best bet is to get the allergy panel and try a hypoallergenic food. Good luck!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM

thanks for the replies...
i appreciate all you guys' time!!!
lemme ask tho-
all purina food is crap?
the Hypo-allergenic and Limited-antigen are special vet diets versions... :/
even those?
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM

sways- post the ingredients of the food you're using.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:13 PM
-

Most vets know squat about nutrition. Like Phoenix said, post the ingredient list here and someone (especially Prin, our food guru) will let you know.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM

i will definately do that when i get home from work!!!
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
Most vets know squat about nutrition. Like Phoenix said, post the ingredient list here and someone (especially Prin, our food guru) will let you know.
here is the ingredients to the food i use, i feed my dog a mixture of the 2...

Purina Canine HA (hypo-allergenic)
http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageA...OD&ProdID=1024

Purina Canine LA (limited-antigen)
http://www.petrx.com/index.asp?PageA...OD&ProdID=1025

HA
Nutrient Information

Average Nutrient Content
on Serving and 100 Calorie Basis

Grams per
100 Kcal M.E. Grams per
8 oz. cup

Protein 5.33 16.09

Carbohydrate 14.85 44.84

Fat 2.63 7.95

Fiber 0.39 1.19

Calcium 0.35 1.07

Phosphorus 0.26 0.80

Sodium 0.06 0.18

Potassium 0.17 0.52

Chloride 0.17 0.52

Magnesium 0.03 0.09

Average Nutrient Composition

As Fed Dry Matter

Protein, % 19.30 21.33

Carbohydrate, % 53.80 59.45

Fat, % 9.54 10.54

Fiber, % 1.43 1.58

Calcium, % 1.28 1.41

Phosphorus, % 0.96 1.06

Sodium, % 0.22 0.24

Potassium, % 0.62 0.69

Chloride, % 0.62 0.69

Magnesium, % 0.10 0.11

Omega 6:3 ratio 9.7:1 9.7:1

Digestion Test Results*

Digestibility

Total, % 87.8

Protein, % 89.9

Fat, % 92.2

Carbohydrate, % 96.2

Calorie, % 92.2

Percentage of Metabolizable Energy from:

Protein, % 19.2

Fat, % 23.6

Carbohydrate, % 57.2

*Based on digestion testing conducted at the
Purina Pet Care Center 1997.

Packaging
Bags of 8, 18.5 and 35 pounds.

Ingredients
Corn starch, modified isolated soy protein, water, coconut oil, dicalcium phosphate, canola oil preserved with TBHQ, cellulose, corn oil, potassium chloride, vegetable gums (gum arabic and guar gum), salt, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, magnesium oxide, lecithin, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), riboflavin supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
---------------------------------------------------------

LA

Ingredients
Brewers rice, salmon meal, trout, canola meal, tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), brewers dried yeast, canola oil preserved with TBHQ, potassium chloride, fish oil, calcium carbonate, salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), zinc sulfate, riboflavin supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, beta-carotene, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate.
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Here is something else I found while researching, I just can't help thinking about your poor dogs feet. Elaine
Chewing on feet

Q: Dr. Mike, In searching your archieves I have not found my problem. I have a two year old, Old English sheepdog that is chewing the hair from in between his back legs and his toes. There are no sores, redness or anything. It's like someone took clippers to his legs. this all of a sudden started. I have tried busying him with chew bones, etc. and he seems to do it at night when he's bored, I think. I have looked into allergies and am putting him on a allergy dog food. I was wondering if you have ever heard of this and if you have any advice. I have been a breeder for many years and never encountered this. Barb

A: Barb- I think the most common cause of chewing on the feet has to be allergies, at least in my area. This can occur with food allergies and with inhalant allergies (atopy). Once in a while demodectic mange is confined to the feet and it is always worth checking for this when there is hairloss. Immune mediated diseases like lupus and phemphigus can be involved in hairloss and irritation of the feet but usually some other area of the body like the ears, eyes, nose or lips is affected as well. If a food allergy trial diet is not beneficial consider testing for inhalant allergies. If your vet doesn't do this, he or she can refer you to a veterinary dermatologist. Since this is a young dog it seems best to have a diagnosis if at all possible so that a good treatment plan can be worked out -- especially since many of these problems will require lifelong control measures.

Mike Richards, DVM
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM

now her back foot is extremely scabbed up :sad: but i havent allowed her to break them open...

i just recently changed her food to the EAGLEPACK-salmon but she doesnt seem to take much interest in it...
she hardly eats white rice now either (which she used to love)...
only thing i can get her to eat currently is the water packed tuna-
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:06 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

here's my 2 cents worth! LOL

Has there been any change in your life/routine that may have affected your pooch? ie. a new partner or loss of partner, a new job or different work hours, new pet/loss of pet, roomate - basically any change that the dog may not be comfortable with??
Any changes in her exercise routine?? Is she getting suffiecient exercise?

If allergies can't be diagnosed, my thoughts are that this has turned into more of a neurological problem or should I say obsessive compulsive problem OR it has become habit forming. Does she have anxiety?? Is she a nervous type dog??
{It's kind of like when a dog has a hot spot, the more they lick it, the worse it gets - and for many dogs it starts to become a habit because the licking makes it feel better, but in actuality, it makes the spot worse}
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
here's my 2 cents worth! LOL

Has there been any change in your life/routine that may have affected your pooch? ie. a new partner or loss of partner, a new job or different work hours, new pet/loss of pet, roomate - basically any change that the dog may not be comfortable with??
Any changes in her exercise routine?? Is she getting suffiecient exercise?

If allergies can't be diagnosed, my thoughts are that this has turned into more of a neurological problem or should I say obsessive compulsive problem OR it has become habit forming. Does she have anxiety?? Is she a nervous type dog??
{It's kind of like when a dog has a hot spot, the more they lick it, the worse it gets - and for many dogs it starts to become a habit because the licking makes it feel better, but in actuality, it makes the spot worse}
yes...altho the change was made about 6-9 months before she started ever doing this-
ive thought about that too but it seems to me that it would have started right away if so,
but anyways...i moved from ohio to california in 2004 and then had her flown out to me DEC 2004 after i got settled...
she was fine for about the first 6-9 months, and then this started happening around last october...
also, me and my dog are very very close...she is practically my child and she is very attached to me. so i guess her anxiety level obviously has rose since this move because when i leave the apartment without her she would be alone...
back home there was always my sister or mom in and out, + we had a cat...
but i dont think anxiety is causing this specific problem because she will do it with me sitting right next to her or say, if i fell asleep she could be laying right next to me and when i wakeup she will have 1 chewed off...

you make a great point tho, and trust me ive thought about that many times...but i just dont know why it didnt start immediately and why she was good for those first 9 months.
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:05 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

ok, so if it's not separation anxiety, it could be anxiety in general(non-specific). OR it could be neurological like obsessive compulsive type of disorder.
Regardless of the cause, I would talk to your vet about this being more neurological / habit type behaviour after of course, allergy tests have been ruled out! If there's no medical problem, chances are it's a behavioural problem. Boredom maybe???

Silly question: Does she have chew toys or bones to chew on? And does she get enough exercise??
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:16 AM

Struvite stones, SO diet and foot pads

All this time I thought my 7-yr old Golden, Annie had cut her foot, now I'm not so sure. She had a bladder full of struvites over 6 mos ago and has been on Royal Canin SO since. Two thumbnail-size remain. Many bladder infections and now we are trying Cipro prophylactly.She has hip dysplasia and on Rimadyl and glucosamine/chondroiton. Her pH is always high and is currently at 7. Distilled water does not bring it down. The diet causes her to gain weight and she is 121 lbs and should be 85. She was on Hills RD prior to struvites for her weight. My vet does not know what to feed her to allow weight loss and not cause more struvites in the process. Royal Canin says not to use SO more than 6 mos. Vet says stones are not completely dissolved. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'm wondering if this is part of the foot problem that has just developed 3 weeks ago. I've been all over the Internet looking for information. All blood work is noncontributory and my vet thinks heredity may be a factor. I live in Tallahassee, Florida also known as "allergy capital" for humans and pets and we're in a severe drought currently. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Seems to me that your dog may have allergies to grass or something else on your lawn? My friend has a collie that is allergic to grass and her feet are very itchy. Do you put any insecticides on your lawn? I would try and find a vet. dermatologist. Since your dog has had already many tests done that are inconclusive you should take the results to a vet. dermatologist and find out what your dog is allergic to. Maybe the vet could do allergy tests ! Itchy skin is a real torture for your dog. And it becomes a cycle of itching and scratching. As soon as new skin grows the itch begins again. I hope your dog will be more comfortable soon. Good luck.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up Foot pad cut

Thanks for answering so soon. It's still kind of iffy as to whether or not Annie has an abrasion on her right hind foot pad or not, however her foot sure looks like the pictures you have put online. I never spray my yard, too many wild critters come to visit. I have entertained the idea of putting a shallow pan of water at the door that she has to step into before coming into the house. I can't put anything other than water into it as I have 2 kitties that could ingest it. Still it could be the start of some type of allergy. The rest of her is okay. I'm really open to diet ideas though. The special diets she has been on already cost me a fortune but she's worth it. Food recalls aren't always posted so after my purchase at the vet, I go online to the food manuf. site (Royal Canin) and if there is anything recalled, they will usually list it first with the lot numbers, even before the vet knows about it--speaking from experience.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Smile An update on Annie

All of you have been so helpful in giving me directions in which to investigate. Annie has more than one problem, struvite stones and pad and leg chewing resulting in a lick granuloma. Finally got a urine culture and found out that her bladder infection is E. coli and only Bactrim or Macrobid will work. The Cipro and Clavamox she has been on has been for almost a year with numerous infections was all for nothing. She is now on Bactrim. My vet doesn't carry Macrobid and WalMart charges $150 (not on their $4 forumulary). There is a lot of evidence on the Internet to support that the actual infections cause the struvite stones and not so much diet. But a urinary diet will dissolve them because they are usually loaded with salt and fat to encourage thirst and thereby dilute the urine and dissolve the struvite stones. I went to a pet store and bought one of each holistic and organic canned food, and bag of dry, that I could find to see what she likes. In one week the hair started growing back on her legs, the licking has slowed down dramatically and the pad on her foot has healed. Even the lick granuloma has reduced in size. Nutrition does matter. Never again will I buy a commercial pet food for my dog. Now to get that weight off caused by the SO diet in a golden that has hip dysplasia--wish me luck! To think that all of this has resulted from one issue, a bladder infection, to stones, to excessive weight gain, to skin problems. I can only pray I'm not too late in getting her back to where she needs to be with the correct antibiotic and diet. I am grateful to all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. It was so very helpful to me in sending me in the right direction.