Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
heather331's Avatar
heather331 heather331 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 188
Grapes for dogs - Answered by Dr. Guindon

last night a grape fell on the floor and dakota got it. she played with it for a while and then ate it. i thought she wouldnt like it but surprisingly she wanted more. my boyfriend gave her more we dont let her have people food at all....but she seems to really like grapes. is that ok?
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Sasha's Den Rescue
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 636
heather331, grapes are known to lead to acute renal failure in dogs. How many grapes did you feed her ?

Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
the gang the gang is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: hudson quebec
Posts: 1,348
please stay away from grapes!!!!!! not good for doggies.
Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM
heather331's Avatar
heather331 heather331 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 188
wow! i'm glad i asked then. i thought that grapes were mostly water and that it would be fine. thanks for the information! no more grapes for her! sorry dakota
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:23 PM
mona_b's Avatar
mona_b mona_b is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hamilton Ont
Posts: 4,620
The only part of the grape that is toxic is the "seed".

All my dogs have gotten grapes(seedless)as treats.I'm not talking every day and a whole bunch.And I make sure they are washed first.

My first GSD lived to be 13.With absalutely no health issues leading to the grapes.And he started getting them as treats when he was 3 months old.My current GSD is almost 10.He too has been getting them since he was 3 months old.He is in great health except for a bit of arthritis.

Also,I really don't think my breeder/vet. would have given me the ok for them if she/he knew it would cause major health issues.
"A dog can express more with his tail in minutes than his owner can express with his tongue in hours."
Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 09:30 PM
joeysmama joeysmama is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: northeast
Posts: 1,343
Grapes are one of the foods that do hold a larger concentration of pesticide, as compared to other fruit. I try to buy organic grapes when possible. Still better for you than processed foods.

And I know this is rather unrelated as I'm talking about people rather than pets but I thought I'd throw it out there in case there was anyone else like me, for whom pesticides are a consideration. (I have cancer in my medical history so I exercise a little extra caution in things like this.)
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Prin Prin is offline
Senior member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,492
Is that what the white film is on the skin? Pesticides? I always wondered what it was...
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Sasha's Den Rescue
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 636
From everything I have read, there are no studies that have yet established why some dogs would react to grapes while others don't. No study either has identified which part of the grapes (or which chemical on the grapes) would lead to renal failure. Some dogs have eaten grapes in small amounts as treats their whole lives without any problem while others went into kidney failure hours after ingesting a large amount of them for the first time. I guess the safest thing is either not to feed grapes to your dog at all or else give them as an occasional treat and in small quantities.
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM
jesse's mommy's Avatar
jesse's mommy jesse's mommy is offline
Slave to the Wigglebum
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,114
Jesse stole some banana the other day. First she played with it, then she kissed it, then she mushed it around in her mouth, and eventually ate it. She loved it. She also loves apples, but hates the skins. And don't forget about the pickle pictures I posted a couple of months ago. That's her favorite treat!! We haven't had grapes fall on the floor for her to steal yet.
Stupid People Have Stupid Children, Hence All The Ignorance In The World!
Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
StaceyB's Avatar
StaceyB StaceyB is offline
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa,ON
Posts: 1,950
As far as I know they don't yet know how many grapes have to be injested before it causes kidney failure, sorry but I wouldn't take the chance. Would you openly give chocolate knowing what can happen.
It is apple seeds that are not to be eaten and bananas are fine.
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM
petdr's Avatar
petdr petdr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 262
Even though I have never see a case of intoxication, I would suggest avoiding grapes for dogs.

Dr.Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
_EasyObserver_ _EasyObserver_ is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Transplanted eastcoaster (NS) living in Ontario
Posts: 1
I know this is an older thread, but if I just came across it then there are probably many more that google and come across it as well. A few years back I had 2 dogs poisoned by someone, one of the first questions the SPCA asked me was if my dogs had been given, or had access to, grapes. This was before the toxicology report was done on them, where we later found out they were given a large dose of Lorazepam. Anyway, it was the first time that I had been informed that grapes and raisins (which contain the seeds), or rather, the grape seeds were poisonous to dogs. As another note..it's not just the avocado seed that is poisonous to a dog, the avocado including any part of the plant can be poisonous. It contains Persin and is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as in the fruit.
Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
MaxaLisa MaxaLisa is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California, usa
Posts: 1,046
Re: avocado, in addition to the plant, I was under the impression that it was the dark fleshy part between what we usually eat and the skin. Avoderm puts avocado in their food, so I would love to hear their response to this.

As for the grapes an raisins, just say no and don't risk, since it seems to be random. I've seen really sick dogs on the forums from this.
Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:02 PM
growler~GateKeeper's Avatar
growler~GateKeeper growler~GateKeeper is offline
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17,348
In regards to grapes & raisins - they are toxic to the kidneys of dogs. Even if a dog doesn't get sick right away from eating them, like a classic case of poisoning, the damage will show down the road in the impairment of kidney function in later years.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.