Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old August 15th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Concern about a local retailer's flyer

I am not certain where to place this but will try here (If the mods have a better idea, pls move it if you think that is the more appropriate venue).

This past weekend when the regular flyers - les circulaires - arrived, one of our local grocery retailers, based in Quebec, featured a skinned rabbit (no head) but obviously, one could read the text and the image to me was gruesome, never mind to children.

Now as soeone who still mourns my pet bunny, I realize I may ber more sensitive to this issue. Do you thnk I should complain to this retailer?
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

We get flyers all the time with skinned rabbits in the meat section. I rather doubt that a retailer would be too concerned about this. Sorry, don't mean to sound unsympathetic but it is a fact of life that people eat rabbits.
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:31 PM
-

The pic of the rabbit would be the same as a pic of a fish.
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not really surprised at the response. My own mother said "what, are you crazy?" She would never eat rabbit but she noted that ppl do. My bf rcalled his friends trapping rabbits and selling them. He could not do it but it was an accpeted pratice. But times change, *&^%$

But I cannot think of a bunny as a rabbit and fish is just not the same skinned. I actually could not eat looking at that skinned bunny - the flyers arrived just around breakfast time Sun AM. I do know in this part of the world rabbit is a delicacy - and is sometimes called Acdien chicken but could they not just show it as they do other meat? I could live with that!

Anyway, thx for the responses. I may just contact them and ask if they could post the picture in a different way - like not the whole skinned rabbit!
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Well, for me the vegetarian, looking at pork chops, sirloin roasts and chicken legs grosses me out!!
I have to run into the meat department, grab the marrow bones, and run. "Excuse me, checkout person, could you please double wrap those and put them in a seperate bag from my tofu?"
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:07 PM

With countless different cultures, it is hard for some of us to understand or even accept the views and beliefs of others when it comes to animals. I work in the Asian community, and have heard of places in China like Canton who sell live dogs or dog meat. I went to a Chinese New Year dinner where at the restaurant they are known for their specialty....pigeon. Now, to most of us in the western world these practices are cruel and disgusting, but then when you look at another viewpoint, many people in India find it cruel and disgusting...even sac-religious, that we eat cows. In some parts of the world, even rats are considered sacred and nobody would ever think of exterminating them.

As for the ad in the supermarket flyer, they will likely see it no different than placing an ad with a picture of a plucked, dead, beheaded chicken.