Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I love horses!!

any horse owners/lovers here?

Are there any horse owners/lovers here? Or am I the only one?

We are in the process of getting me my first (of my very own) horse. My hubby built me a corral and today we are going to start on one of three pastures. In a couple weeks I should have my very first horse!! Growing up my sisters all had horses but I was to "young" !! Well now I am 40 and we have our own property so guess what!!! I am getting a dang horse!! LOL

I just want to know if there are any more horse people out there.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Welcome to the Board and yes there are. I have been riding for 35 years and owned several horses from the age of 16 onwards!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I love horses!!

ack.. i just noticed I put this in the wrong forum!!! oops!!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I love horses!!

cool!! I wish there was a seperate forum for horses here... but oh well...

I am trying to figure out what type of water sealer is safe for horses? We built a new corral and need to seal the poles. I can't decide if I want to paint or seal... I really don't want the traditional white... we live in heavy timber and that would just stand out to much. I want it to kinda blend in to the area... that is why I am leaning to just sealing instead of paint. Any ideas would be great!!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM

That's ok, it's easily moved.

Welcome to the forums!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Agility Addict

Hi HorseCrazy!!

While I can't give you any good information about horse-safe-sealer, I can tell you that I also love horses! I've been riding since I was 12 but I unfortunately have yet to own my own horse :sad: . I take lessons and bum rides when I can and I used to take care of a few farm horses. I had them all to myself for a few years and they felt like they were mine.

Good luck with getting your first (I'm so jealous - but you've been waiting for this moment and worked towards it so you deserve it!)!! Do you have a special horse (or breed) in mind or are you still looking/researching?

Melissa
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I suggest you paint the posts with creosote as no matter what you apply to them the horse will nibble but with creosote they won't eat the posts. It will make the poles a brownish colour. It does smell awful though so be prepared to be overwhelmed with it and wear something you can throw out after as it stains like the dickens. Also check environmental regulations on it for your area. I think the one used on wood is referred to as Coal Tar Creosote. I did a whole barn in it when I was younger for my employer. Awful stuff but very effective. Their may be other products now on the market as well. Check with your local feed mill too!
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I love horses!!

Actually I have yet to see this horse ... he has been doing a job in another state. He is 4 and a reg. quarter horse gelding. He was on a trail the other day with the guy who is ridding him at the moment and he saw a bear come across the path. He reacted very well and didnt spook... which I think is great being he is soooo young. He will be back next week so I will get a chance to ride him then. I can hardly wait!!!!! I just hope all this waiting is not going to be a bad thing... I hope he is the right one for me!! Otherwise I will have to start looking again!! :sad:
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM

*Groan!!* I am soooo jealous! I absolutely LOVE horses. But I've only ever been able to rent them by the hour. :sad: I used to go to a place in St. Lazare every week-end, they got to know me well enough that they'd let me take a horse out on my own for 2 hours at a time - meaning there was no guide and I wasn't riding nose-to-tail with 15 other people. I used to request the same horse each time, and I'd always bring him carrots, so it got to the point that he'd whinny when I came into the barn. :love: That was as close as I ever came to having my own horse. That's my 6/49 dream, though. Win enough money to get that house with acres and acres of forest, we'd build a barn & paddock, and then run trails through the acres and acres of woods that we'd take turns using (me & my sister on the horses, the boys on their dirt bikes). *sigh!!* How much is the Super 7 worth tonight??
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

These are the two mares I had before we got transferred back to Quebec. Both live with friends now so I can visit them when I go back to Ontario regularly.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I love horses!!

OH MY GOSH!!! I am getting my very first horse tomorrow!!!! I had to wait for 35 years but the day is here!!! Well... almost!

Callie Diamond will come home to her forever home tomorrow!!! Soon as I get her... I will be taking pics!! LOL Soon as I get the roll finished I will take it to 1 hour photo and get them developed!! and then posted!! I really wish I could hug everyone!! LOL

I suppose you can't tell I am excited hahahahaha!!!

I guess I will try to go get some sleep.... like that is going to happen!!!

Pics coming soon!!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Oh my doG! I can't wait to see pics!!! What's she like? How'd you find her?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:25 AM
banned user

Congrats to you HorseCrazy! I am sooooo jealous! I have always wanted a horse... problem is I live in the city and I don't know a darn thing about them!
My niece has one though, she saved her money for years to buy it! She named him Bob Callie Diamond is a nice name though. :love:

Last edited by Sneaky2006; July 2nd, 2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I love horses!!

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RACfAs8TnZ9UFHCHdUatHCZio8PUzgYviTsljPfYtmOwmBaPq Le*1OmwgUQ2xPQXJI8t9sOt4Cz3bvjPeY1y43xX2ZWQqx5X72F qgCfF5KA/callie%205.bmp?dc=4675529627306495461[/IMG]

I hope this works!!

Here is Callie Diamonds!!!

it didnt work!!!

Last edited by HorseCrazy!; July 7th, 2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
banned user

Thanks for sharing the pic! I am sure you are very excited with your first horse.

Your husband did a great job of building you a coral. I do hope that you can get her out of that coral quickly, and with another horse for company.

Horses are very much herd animals, and being in a small coral like that and being alone, he will become very depressed in no time. When they become depressed, they will act out, and become unmanageable.

I don't want this to sound harsh, because that is not the way this is intended, but the sooner you can get him on pasture or at least a good sized paddock, with another horse for company, the happier you and your horse are going to be.
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM
I love horses!!

We have put her into a pasture and are building a second one now. We should have the second one done by the start of next week. And no your reply didnt sound mean or harsh at all!!

Isn't she just a cutie? lol maybe I just think she is. LOL
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseCrazy!
We have put her into a pasture and are building a second one now. We should have the second one done by the start of next week. And no your reply didnt sound mean or harsh at all!!

Isn't she just a cutie? lol maybe I just think she is. LOL

She is a cutie!! You will have many, many years of enjoyment with her If at this point in time you are not wanting a second "horse", you can always get a mini horse as companionship for her. But I will warn you....those little mini's eat almost as much as your regular horse
Attached Images

Old August 12th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Your mare is a lovely Medicine Hat Paint!!! Congratulations!
I'm partial to paint horses (obvious reasons) and I'm sure you'll have a ton of fun with her on the trails.