Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM

Great Dane - Bloat

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone else has been thru the bloat with their dogs?

My big boy Moto, 1 1/2 yr old male dane had emergency surgery 2 weeks ago for bloat. They stapled stomach and removed 10 lb spleen.

I am wondering what goes on after surgery. Moto kinda sorta eating but also eating grass and vomitting. Vet says they sometimes get something like acid reflux.

Any one else been thru and how is it going?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Moto's Mom
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM

I haven't been through it, and I actually don't know anybody who has. It is such an expensive surgery, it's so rare that people go through with it. What a lucky dog you have!! If you really trust your vet, there is no reason not to believe him... But I would continue to research, in case.

You do have to take the healing into consideration too. Good luck.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM

hi and thanks for the response.

I just thank god we got him to the vet in time. It is an expensive surgery but he is my baby. He is only a year and a half and I just couldn't imagine being without him anymore.

Yesterday I tried a different food giving him less and so far it seems to be ok. I just really feel bad cuz he comes to me and looks at me as if to say please feed me. But gonna do it this way for awhile and see how it goes. Other than the eating of the grass and throwing up he seems to be his old self again. Burying his bones and walking around the house with his rubber chickens in his mouth. (he loves those things)

Have a great day.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

What a lucky dog to have you! It is great that you caught it on time and went through with the surgery! Many people wait until it is too late and the poor dog doesn't make it to surgery, or they don't go ahead with the surgery because it is expensive. When I worked at a vet clinic years ago we had a Doberman that came in with bloat. Unfortunately the owners had waited too long and we were unable to save her, she never woke up from her surgery.

Do as much research as you can and keep in touch with your vet. I'm sure your vet would be more than willing to help you out and give you all the advice you need.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

You are definately one of the lucky ones.My friend lost her St.Bernard to Bloat.She rushed Emily to the vet,but lost her.She was only 8 months.And she was rushed in right away.

Here is a very good link to Bloat.Even though your furbaby has been through it,it could happen again.It will tell you how to prevent it.You really need to be carefull of what type of dry you feed.If only feeding him dry,I would consider giving him canned also.I hope this link helps.

I agree with Prin,you do need to take the healing of the surgery into consideration.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Even though your furbaby has been through it,it could happen again.
Once the stomach has been stapled, this cannot happen again ever.

How often do you feed your Dane, and what kind of food?
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM

i know this post is old but for your information...i have a german shepherd and they are known to bloat and i read on them that not to give them water right after they ate...let the dog wait so they dont bloat..especially dry food
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
owned by Tucker

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm#...reatest%20Risk
Try looking into this website there are a few out there with info on bloat, one vet told me you could try and prevent it many ways but sometimes it just happens. Our dog bloated on the way home from the cottage, without food or water? Who knows why?