Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old February 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Exclamation Chameleon owners out there??

I recently was given a male panther chameleon. His owner was no longer able to take care of him. I'm not sure if he is in good health or not- never having owned a chameleon before. He does a couple of things that make me think he is very weak. If there is anyone out there that is familiar with chameleons, I'd love to ask you a few questions.

THANKS!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Hi there Pisces20. I don't own a chameleon, but I think they are the coolest lizzards out there! Where about are you located? I know of a couple of reptile supply stores that might be able to help you. What's he doing that has you worried? What kind of enclosure is he in? I, for one, would love to see some pics!
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Talking

I am in Burlington, Ontario. He is in a screened enclosure, with a large plant (it is a plant that is safe for chameleons). His age is estimated at 4 years. He has a uv light and a window and I have been monitoring room temperature. He drinks well, twice a day or more when I mist him. What concerns me, is when he is eating crickets or mealworms, it takes him about 4 tounge flicks to capture his prey. His aim seems to be very bad. As well, he doesn't seem very steady on his feet. I have seen him "fall" twice now off the plant. This morning he kinda fell and slid, ending up with his nose pressed into the bottom of his cage, and his body straight up behind him. We tried to pick him up, but he hissed and tried to bite. We realized he was upset and left the room. 10 min later he had righted himself. It is just the fact he seems kind of weak, lacking aim with his feeding, and not too steady on his feet. I am trying to figure out if this is normal or an indicator of a problem. Thanks I will get some pics of him up. He is quite impressive, a blue-green with white spots running down his side...
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces20
I recently was given a male panther chameleon. His owner was no longer able to take care of him. I'm not sure if he is in good health or not- never having owned a chameleon before. He does a couple of things that make me think he is very weak. If there is anyone out there that is familiar with chameleons, I'd love to ask you a few questions.

THANKS!!
Hello! My son and daughter-in-law have one that is really healthy. Here is her email and you can ask her any questions you want.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Last edited by White Wolf; August 26th, 2005 at 07:41 PM. Reason: ***no email addresses please (please send them by pm)
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Smile

Thank you so much!!!!!
Old February 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hello, I had a female veiled chameleon that passed away at 5 years of age. Sadly the life of a chameleon is not long. When JD was starting to look old and sick she would not eat, often be near the bottom of her tank, and would sometimes fall. We think she may have had an egg stuck inside of her as well and this could have attributed to her death, but our vet still leans towards old age. As for your little one not gettting crickets on the first try, this can be normal. They do sometimes miss despite their great vision. As for the falling, I would be concerned. Try lowering the branches and climbing areas in his enclosure so if he does fall again no bones will be broken or damage done. I hope this helps a bit and wish I could suggest more. You may want to visit your local petstore or do some research on the net. There are many different webrings on the net with dedicated chameleon owners that would be glad to help you. Good luck
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Have you been to Reptilia? They might be able to help you. Here's a fact sheet from their website:
http://www.reptilia.org/care_sheets/...iz_panther.htm

Good luck!
Old February 24th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I have read a lot on the 'net, but there isn't a whole lot about the behaviour patterns I have experienced with my little guy. I appreciate the email contact It could just be that he is getting old and loosing his balance a lot. I have gathered some more pieces of wood to put in his enclosure to make his getting around easier. AND when I take my ribbon-eating cat to the vet this afternoon I am going to ask some advice.
Thanks!!