Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Closed Thread

Old January 21st, 2011, 05:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Cities mull forced neutering of pets & Runaway pit bull neutered by SPCA

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...533/story.html

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...602/story.html

I say that if the general public refuses to accept responsibility for the pet overpopulation crisis, then somebody has to. Your thoughts?
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i think it's a great idea,,if you look farther down at the comments people made one person hit the nail on the head " the people not wanted to adopt fixed pets are not looking for a pet, but breeding stock".
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:15 PM
Doggie Wench

This is the comment in the second article that stuck out for me: "Leslie said an SPCA employee told her "there are too many pit bulls in Verdun, anyway. We have a freezer full of dead pit bulls. Want to see it?" " Bravo to this employee. I'd take the bylaws even further and, for those that dump their pets, if they don't get adopted and end up getting euthanized, the previous owners must pay for and be present for the killing...whether it be by Euthanol or the gas chambers. Take on a animal, then it's your responsibility for life...and death.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM

We actually saw the news report on this on CTV. I actually have mixed feelings on the whole thing. I truly believe that for the average Joe, neutering/spaying is the best option; however, I'm not sure I would want to be in that same situation if they had Loki. What would happen if it's a show dog and therefore a legit reason not to be neutered/spayed? Would they make the exception? I'd be curious to find out.

In this particular case, I was quite happy they neutered the dog. The owners apparently loved their dog so much and loved his temperament that they were thinking of breeding him...
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
What would happen if it's a show dog and therefore a legit reason not to be neutered/spayed? Would they make the exception? I'd be curious to find out.
As would I. I have a feeling that if the dogs' guardians had valid proof, then an exception would likely be made. I'm assuming that because this dog was neutered after his guardians found him at the shelter.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
As would I. I have a feeling that if the dogs' guardians had valid proof, then an exception would likely be made. I'm assuming that because this dog was neutered after his guardians found him at the shelter.
Really? From the news report it sounded like the guardians went to pick up their dog and the shelter wouldn't release him until they neutered him..?
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
-

Something has to be done to control pet over-population....if peeps won't take it upon themselves to help the problem, then there is no alternative. It would be nice if the Veterinary Associates would help too, without gouging people.....It takes 10 minutes to neuter a male dog...how much should a Vet charge in all reality?

It takes the rights of citizens away to do as they wish with their "property", but something has got to be done to stop the killing.

As far as the Pittie is concerned....no question that it had to be done.....These poor dogs are being so victimized it's a sin.....it's the only way to stop the killing

In the case of the lady who can't locate her dogs spay certificate, if it was done through her Vet then they would/should have a record of it.
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:39 PM
owned by Tucker

I heard somewhere that Toronto was gonna drop its licence fee, don't know if this is true or not, but instead of that why not make it mandatory that your pet is fixed and then give owners free licensing. Scarborough use to have if your pet was fixed and micro chipped it was a life time license but then amalgamation and that ended. But I think they should enforce this even my beautiful boy was fixed at 6 months.