Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation I need some opinions on a kitty I have for the night.

So as I was leaving for work this morning, I ran into Miguel (the maintenance guy where I live), some of you remember he helped me with Czari. He told me that in the last few days he's been seeing a cat that looks to have been let go by someone or lost, because he was very tamed and people friendly. He told me that the security guard that works the midnight shift wanted to take him home, but hasn't been able to find him when it's time for him to go home.

So trying to find a way to help this kitty find a home, I told Miguel to go into my apartment and put him in there. I specifically told him, "Get the big carrier in front of the window, put a small plate of food in there, and put the cat in the carrier. Then separate the carrier from the others by putting it in the foyer and moving the screen to prevent the other cats from getting to the carrier." Simple right?

I got home, and found the carrier had not been touched, and there was a small plate of food in the foyer. I walked around a bit, then saw Vlad and Oksana hissing at something in the kitchen above the fridge. It was the other cat. I'm beyond angry.

I don't know this cats situation. He could be sick or have worms or fleas and he's scared! I don't know if he's neutered, and he could very well have begun a major fight. I managed to get the carrier up where the fridge is, and he went into it, hissing all the way.

The only thing I could think of doing was to take him upstairs and put him in my bathroom. I had thought to let him spend the night in the bathroom loose, but he's scared, hissing and just not sure of what's happening. I'm afraid if I let him out, I may not be able to get him back in safely.

So, I decided it may be best for all of us if I just leave him in the bathroom, the lights are on and there's air conditioning in there, and leave him in the carrier. He won't be able to use the litter, but I don't think he would use it anyway with the stress he's got now.

The gang are not happy. They keep hissing at each other, and Maks only just now finally came out from under the bed.

Do you guys think the little guy will be okay in the carrier until tomorrow morning when I give him to the security guard?

ETA: When my pasta is ready I'm going to go across the street and get some baby powder to see if putting some on the gang will keep them from hissing at each other further.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM
-

If it were me AG, I would open the door of the carrier and let the cat have the roam of the bathroom. It needs to have access to a litter box.

Maybe once you yourself is calmer about the situation the rest of the gang will calm down too.
Old January 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Contributor

The gang seemed to have calmed down a little. Still some hissing, but okay otherwise.

The guest kitty is sleeping in the carrier, so I opened the door for him to go in and out as he wants. I'll have to be careful getting back into the bathroom, I don't want him running out of there, but I don't think he will. I think he feels safe in there.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG definately leave the kitty in the bathroom! just in case. You really dont know his history or anything so better be safe than sorry. I agree leaving the cage open at least he can feel a little less stress not feeling trapped.

The kittys will likely calm down but they probably wont be happy until the intruder is gone! Gotta remember they smell so much more than we do!

At least kitty is safe for the night and has some food in his belly!

Good job on hopefully having a home for the kitty!

I would almost be tempted to place a towel along the bottom of the door on the outside so your kittys dont hang out in front of the door.

Good Luck MF!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I would almost be tempted to place a towel along the bottom of the door on the outside so your kittys dont hang out in front of the door.

Good Luck MF!
That's an excellent idea! I'm going to go up and do that. It might help when we go to bed too.

Okay, I went back up and put a little more food on the dish for him, and put some water in a bowl for him too. I don't know how long he's been with no food or water. He was napping, but lifted his head to look at me, then went back to sleep. I put a towel on the bottom of the door. Right now, only Kiska and Maks are the ones hanging out up there being curious. The others are down here with me.

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yeah thats what I was thinking...Actually I had a visuak of 5 sets of paws on one side of the door to 1 set on the other side...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown