Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:00 PM

a cat question

Hi cat lovers.

The new cat I got last Fri., from our SPCA, was spayed in June /10. Right now, she looks like she is going into heat. Rolling around, yodeling, bum up if you touch her back. She is about 4 years old.

What I am wondering, can they go through symptoms of heat if they are spayed later in life?

According to those I have to spoke to here, they all say no, but I am also wondering could it be because of the full moon recently and maybe the eclipse? All I can do is watch and see I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions.

take care
binky
Old December 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It is very possible the vet did not get all the tissue out while spaying and so yes, your cat could be going into heat. If I were you, I would contact the SPCA that you adopted her from and ask for their vet to check her hormones and if necessary have her respayed.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM

14+ has far more experience with kitties than I do but my female cat has acted out yodelling, rolling around, sticking her bum up, on every full moon since I adopted her 8 years ago. This always happens during the night when it's dark in the house and she tries to attract the 3 males I have. However, since it's such a regular occurrence with her, I haven't thought much about it. She was spayed when she was found as a stray at the age of about 2 1/2. She was pregnant at the time she was spayed. Don't know if this helps.
Old December 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Thank you, for your replies.

She is still carrying on, and I have phoned a couple of vets about this.
The end result is, I have an appointment for tomorrow, so we will see what happens then.

I have never had a spayed animal have a heat period after being spayed, so it is all new to me, and that included my spayed and neutered cats on the farm.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again
binky
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Hi everyone

Well, I took my cat into the vets today. Found out some very interesting things.

The local SPCA did indeed have her spayed, but it was an abort spay. Was told by the vets, that the kittens were almost full term. He is thinking that because of this, she may be in pseudo heat. That to give it a bit and see, and if it happens again, then maybe I should consider an exploratory to see if any tissue is there. He seems to think that because her hormones were out of wack then, it just may be a carry over.

Anyway, we wait.

We all were wondering why they chose to spay her then, rather than let her have the kittens, and foster, then s/n them all, but we will never know the answer to that.

Thank you again, for your answers, I do appreciate it. Now to find a name that she likes, and answers too.

take care
binky
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:16 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkybuff View Post
We all were wondering why they chose to spay her then, rather than let her have the kittens, and foster, then s/n them all, but we will never know the answer to that.
These days with the very serious cat overpopulation a lot of vets are aborting right up to the last possible moment. While it puts a bad taste in our mouths realistically it is what needs to happen. I have heard of kittens quite literally being born as mom was about to be put under for spay surgery. Until people get it through their heads that their cats need to be spayed and taken better care of I am afraid this situation will continue to happen. I'm sure you realize how many fosters there are out there for cats/kittens who end up keeping the cat(s) for life because quite simply there are no homes for them.
Sorry for the rant. It is probably my biggest peeve when it comes to this situation.

It's great that the vet gave you some answers. Quite likely it is the correct answer.

Pictures would be nice.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM

I think I figured out how to get the picture in here, and sure hope it works.

take care
binky

Yup, it worked, so let me introduce to you all, Calli. Not sure if I am going to leave her with that name or not. She doesn't answer to it anyway.