Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 29th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I love my shiba inu.

Smile your input appreciated

Hi, I would love to get a yorkie they are so cute and loveable but I already have two shiba inu a male and a female I would like some input on if you think it would work out, my female would'nt be a problem she is very easy going but the male is very dominate, if I got one I would get a female because I think he would accept that rather than another male. What do you think??
Old September 2nd, 2006, 09:12 PM

Smile yorkie

hi you'r right yorkies are cute lovable. If you really want one be prepared to spend a lot of time with it. yorkies demand a lot of attention & love but they are worth it. As for your other dogs it's always a good idea to give them a chance to meet with the new dog before you adopt. Yorkies are not especially good with sharing your time with others . If you adopt a yorkie you get 3 to 7 pounds of pure love!!!!!!!
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:45 AM

Not sure a tiny, possibly very dominant dog would survive in a house with a very large dominant dog... A little bit of attitude from the yorkie would cause significant trouble in the household, IMO.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I love my shiba inu.

I am planning to take my dogs to visit the pups and see how they react
they are medium sized not big, my girl is actually smaller than she is supposed to be. Wish I could figure this pic posting I would love to show them to you all.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

We have a rather well bred Yorkie in the family, he's just about a perfect example of Yorkie temperament... He's antagonistic, territorial, and a klepto. We keep his fur longer and grooming is a 3/week ordeal. Other than that, he's cute as a button and makes for good company. Just make sure you start taking it out and about (not by carrying it but by letting it walk) so that it understands how small it is and how to interact well with others (obedience would be great for that.)
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM
banned user

Although shibas are not large, they do tend to be small animal aggressive. And although yorkies are tiny, they tend not to know it and not to back down. I see the possibility of some very bad chemistry here. I wouldn't risk it myself, especially not with a shiba whom you know to be dominant. And if you got a bitch puppy, your normally more docile bitch shiba might not like it at all.

If things got bad are you willing to keep the shiba and the yorkie separated 100% of the time?
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I love my shiba inu.

Keeping them separate 100% would be just about impossible in fact I think it would create more problems. I think I will be able to make a more informed decision once I visit the kennels. I did ask the breeder if he thought it would be a problem bringing a yorkie into the family he did'nt think it would, but he also said he did'nt know much about shiba inus he had only seen them at dog shows and they are useually well behaved in those conditions.
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I am planning to take my dogs to visit the pups and see how they react
You should keep in mind that just because they get along in neutral territory doesn't mean when you bring them home they'll get along.
Also, they could get along for several months and then one of the dogs may start trying to become dominant over one of the others. If the yorkie tries to establish dominance over one of the bigger dogs, or won't back down, it could spell disaster for the yorkie.

Btw, bringing a female home doesn't necessarily mean your male will be able to get along with it. Females can also be very dominant, and the yorkie may not realize she's in a losing battle with your male.

The biggest thing would be bringing home a dog that shows the least signs of dominance towards other dogs. Even if you're looking for a puppy the breeder should have some ideas on which ones are more submissive, though you won't know for sure until they're adults.

There's also another thing you didn't mention, how socialized are your dogs to other dogs? Do you know how your male usually reacts to smaller dogs, or other dogs in general? Your female, though submissive NOW, may not react well to a new dog living in her home, and may try to put the yorkie in its place.

If you do bring a new dog home, make sure you strictly supervise them together, and keep in mind, that though they're getting along great one day, as soon as you're not paying attention, that could change.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; September 4th, 2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old September 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM
banned user

It is probably too late, but I wanted to say that visiting kennels and meeting adorable puppies is really not a good way to make an informed decision about buying a puppy. At that point, you are thinking with your heart, not your head. And the fact that the breeder is minimizing the danger that you say your dogs might pose to this puppy when he has never met your dogs kind of worries me. As My Bird Is Evil said, dogs often get along on neutral territory when they can't get along at home. And many dogs (especially dominant dogs) don't worry at all about a puppy but when the dog gets a little older, they take offense.

If you want a third dog, I would suggest something not as tiny and easy to kill as a yorkie.
Old September 6th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by normag
I did ask the breeder if he thought it would be a problem bringing a yorkie into the family he did'nt think it would, but he also said he did'nt know much about shiba inus he had only seen them at dog shows and they are useually well behaved in those conditions.
I'd say this is not a very reputable breeder!! If he cared at all about his dogs and pups he would never have said this, especially since he admits knowing nothing of the Shiba Inu breed!! Sounds like he's just trying to make a sale, and is in it for the $$$$$$ I would find another breeder!

On another note,My MIL had a very aggressive tea cup poodle when she got her Akita, the size difference was unbelievable!! both males, but the poodle was there first (by about 5 years) and defended his territory with a fury, and continuously attacked the Akita, would be hanging from his lip on a few occasions ! the Akita could have easily killed the poodle, but luckily didn't.
But because of this they could never be left alone together, for fear the poodle may get hurt (even if the Akita unintentionally stepped on the poodle, the poodle could have been seriously hurt o killed).
So unless you can live with the possibility of never leaving them alone together, I would seriously reconsider.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I love my shiba inu.

Thanks all of you for your advice I do appreciate it.
Today I e-mailed all of the yorkie breeders within my area
and asked there opinions too. I will await there input and
make my decision before going to see the puppies.
But I will be so dissapponted if I can't have one!!:sad: :sad:
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by normag
But I will be so dissapponted if I can't have one!!
A Yorkie could always be your next dog.
Old September 10th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I love my shiba inu.

After a lot of thought and reading info from breeders and you guys I have come to a decision, it would not be fair to put a puppy through the stress or danger of bringing it into our home, I really dont know how my dogs would react they could easily accept it or maybe hurt it or worse, I especially have concerns with Murphy although I dont think he would harm it I dont know that for sure and I would be devastated if the puppy should get hurt.
So I will just keep the photots the breeder sent me and look at those once in a while. Thanks to all of you who posted replies you helped a lot.:sad: :sad: :sad:

I tried to post the pics I got but for some reason "manage attachments"
wont work for me so I will try again later they are soooo cute.
Old September 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Wise choice,good for you!
Old September 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
-

Normag, glad to hear you decided against getting a Yorkie at this time. Like I said before it can always be your next dog.

Quote:
I tried to post the pics I got but for some reason "manage attachments" wont work for me so I will try again later they are soooo cute.
Did you try holding down thr "Ctrl" key when you click on "manage attachments"?