Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:42 PM

Flying from Beijing China to Vancouver with kitty!

after being in Beijing for 1.5yrs, I'm flying back to vancouver with my cat. he has all his shots and paper work on this end of the world. any advice? how much will it cost to bring him?

~Thanks!
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't know, but seems like someone made this trip in the opposite direction recently and may know the answer.
Old September 25th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,that was VCheng79,she managed to fly two cats to Hong Kong,with no problems.It is not expensive,I believe less than $100,but I am not sure.
Just take care and secure the carrier with rope or tie-tacks,we have had stories about cats disappering because of unsecure carriers.
Luckily they were found again,by very caring owners.
Your best bet is to talk to the airline and be sure you have all the required documents to enter Canada.
I am happy you are not considering leaving the cat behind in Beijing
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM

My friend was flying with his cat from Moscow to Toronto this spring, the cat had to have it's own extra ticket (about 120$), veterinary passport with all shots and a carrier. If the weight of kitty along with carrier is less than 8 kg you may take it in cabin with you, if more - they can make you check it in luggage.
But anyway I would definetely call airlines to ask all details in advance, you don't want to stuck with your kitty on boarder.
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:43 PM

Airline:CHECK...canadian customs?

Thank you so much! i called the airline. is IS pretty cheap.$160CND incld. customs check. i have all the paper work. and a great carrier...

NOW: arriving in canada, what should i expect from customs?

~Thanks for all you help!
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM

ONE THING
Get Zap Straps to make sure carrier is secure. They usually offer them at the airport and you just loop them around the places where the snaps on the carrier are, pull them tight and VOILA no hoodini kitties .
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,if you have all the required vaccinations etc...and the papers to prove it,I don't think you should have any troubles at custom.
You are a Canadian citizen,right??
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:17 PM

Where does a cat travel in an airplane?
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:15 PM

if cat with carrier is less than 8 kg it can travel in passanger cabin with you, if more - in luggage cabin
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Isn't the luggage cabin cold?
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Depends on the plane. On some planes, the baggage hold is heated and on others not. Pets are not accepted during the winter on planes with unheated holds (in cases where they are too big to be in the cabin). That has been my experience here in Canada.

I would just like to add that sedatives are NOT necessary for pets travelling by plane; there are even risks associated with them (regulation of body temperature, etc), so they should be avoided. I sedated Badger once, and when I saw him staggering around for no good reason, that was the last time.

Put something absorbent in the bottom of the crate (disposable diapers are great, otherwise lots of newspaper), then a favourite blanket or something that smells of you, for comfort. Water. No food, his tummy may be queasy. Also I put a sign on his cage saying, 'my name is Badger, talk to me'. I was watching them bring out his crate to load it on the plane and two airport workers were peering into the cage and talking to him. It was a bit like a Norman Rockwell painting, very sweet - what can I say, I'm a fifties girl...
Your cat will be fine. They are pretty resilient, once the plane is airborne, he will probably just snooze, lulled by the engines.
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM

I'm sure you'd prefer to take your cat in cabin with you, but if it is too big (ate too much treats from mammy's hands :-) then I'd use sedative.
Of course there are some non-pleasant effects possible (like body temperature increase, etc.), but if you fly from Beijin to Canada it's quite a long flight, your pet will get crazy closed in luggage alone with no sedative, it's too much stress for them and it's worse than temperature or heavy dream, IMHO. With sedative he will not be his own of course, but mostly will just sleep and not pay attention to unusual environment around.