Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM

sick cat

Need advice. My 17 y/0 daughter, Starr brought her boyfriends family cat to our home because the cat is sick. The cats family will not take him to the Vet. We don't have the money to take him to the Vet, but are trying to help him. About a week ago the cat stopped eating, just laying around. For five days this went on. My daughter saw he wasn't well so she brought him home thinking he needed worming. When I saw this cat I just wanted to cry. He is full grown, at least two years old. We weighed him, 4 lbs. Fur over bone. It is really sad. The first day we fed him water through a syringe every thirty minutes. My 12 y/o dau., Raine, extreem cat lover, got a small amount of watered down canned cat food down him. She fed him through the night. I didn't think to add a little sugar to water until the second day. Second day he could hold his head up and walked a few steps. Yesterday, she kept the every 30 minutes feeding/water through the day. He still just lays around. He urinated 3 times yesterday, very dark orange. I don't know what else to add except I remember my dau. Starr mentioning he went missing for a few days, he returned and she noticed he was weak. I also took him outside and let him lay in on the ground for a little while. I noticed his skin is yellow. Can we do anything to help this cat, Mr Kitten?
Thank you,
KMurdock
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

This cat needs to go to the vet. I mean is there any one who will let you borrow the money, a credit card. Or call the vet and see if they will set up a payment plan or surrender the cat to the vet so they can treat him.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

This cat is suffering terribly - whether from kidney failure, poisoning, leukemia - who knows.

PLEASE do not let the suffering continue. If no one at all can get him the care he needs and deserves, at LEAST take him and have him humanely euthanized!!
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
This cat is suffering terribly - whether from kidney failure, poisoning, leukemia - who knows.

PLEASE do not let the suffering continue. If no one at all can get him the care he needs and deserves, at LEAST take him and have him humanely euthanized!!
Yellow skin...dark urine....I agree - possible kidney failure...late stages.

The poor thing must be humanely PTS before it suffers too much longer.

Makes me so sad...and yet so very angry!

These people have a cat that's in dire need of medical attention, yet they do nothing! Wish I had a few minutes alone with those ba$tards.
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor,poor cat,I know you meant well and your daughters are doing what they can,but this cat is very sick and suffering,it just breaks my heart...
A fullgrown cat at 4lbs is in complete shut down mode,there is nothing you can do if he is in kidney-failure,all the food in the world is not going to cure him.Please take him to a vet,explain to him what happened,how you got the cat,he might take care of him,if he is a good vet.
Don't give him back to those evil people,Humane Society should be alerted,not seeing to your cats medical needs is extreme cruelty and against the law.
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:26 PM

sick cat

Thank you all for your kind responses. My dau. Starr came in this afternoon. Apparently there has been a dog and a cat to die in the same neighborhood recently. They both died of what was thought was poisoning. A man in the neighborhood is putting out antifreeze to keep animals away from his shrubs and off his car. How can a person be so terrible?

After I posted the first message I noticed a change in Mr. Kitten. He would not eat or even argue about eating and slept this afternoon, we held him. He didn’t seem to be in any pain. Raine took him outside and he watched the sky. We were reading your responses and went back to him, he was gone. We were going to take him to the Vet tomorrow and explain things as you suggested.

I told my girls they did all they could. Raine wants to be a vet/vet tech/ zookeeper so bad. She has for years wanted this but events last year has sent her heart in that direction for sure. Raine suffered from a long illness starting in Jan 2003, was bed bound for months, during her recovery she watched a lot of Emergency Vet/Animal Planet stuff. Her precious tabby cat George kept her company. When she was almost recovered in 10-10-03 she was in a car wreck and suffered a broken back, months of recovery followed. Again George kept her company. She has a strong connection to animals because she was so isolated for so long and our pets were her companions. She was crying saying she could not become a Vet because it is so hard to loose a pet, even one that was not your own. Raine did all she could for this cat. I told her it takes someone who loves animals to work with them. Someone like the cat’s family and the mean neighbor would make terrible caregivers to animals. She is just the right kind of person to care for them.
Thank you all again.
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

So sorry for your family's loss. And thank God for you and your daughter. It is heartbreaking to see how some people treat animals and it is so good to know that there are many out there who will do all they can to help.
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Oh my gosh KMurdock...I am soooo sorry for your loss ...your last post just brought tears to my eyes...the poor cat....I wish people that purposly poison animals would be arrested...sounds like you have been through a lot with your daughter and now this....It's nice to know that people like you do exist....Good luck to your daughter and I believe that someday, someone as caring as she is, is going to make a TERRIFIC vet.....
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

KMurdock,I don't know were you are or what your bylaws are,but I would do something about your monsters of neighbors...they are evil beings
Your post is soo sad,that poor little cat...maybe he'll get better treatment where he's gone to.I would like to think so and the people will get theirs one day
You and your daughter have been through a lot and I firmly believe a certain amount of hardship will make you a more compassionate caring person as you and your daughter have proven to be.
Please keep an eye on the jerk-neighbors you have and the dogs/cats they might still have.As for your poisoning other neighbor,I would report him to the apropriate authoritys.
Good luck to your daughter,who obviously has all the right"stuff"to become a wonderful veterinarian.