Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM

I don't know what to do!!

My cat had surgery yesterday and escaped last night. I am not one of those cat owners that don't watch their cat close enough. He was spooked by the e collar and just bolted out the door when I went to feed the outside cats. The last I knew he was going into the other room and I barely opened the door. He is a Ferrel cat but is very tame and has been an inside/outside cat for about 1 year. I am so worried that he is going to get caught on something with the collar on or that his foot will start bleeding a lot. We haven't seem him since last night (15 hours ago). Has anyone experienced this or know what I should do?
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

keeping looking and calling for him. put up posters. ask anyone if they seen a cat with that type of collar. does he like treats? i shake the bottle of the treats and all my cats come running. good luck hope you find him

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I would put a bowl of tuna or salmon out and see if that attracts him. I'd also put his bed there if he has one. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck to you, I hope he comes home soon. I've heard you should look late at night and early morning when it's very quiet, they're more apt to come out then.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM

I wish you all the best. There probably isn't much you can do other than leave some food outside, put posters up, and contact local radio stations and SPCA's.

I always freak out when my cats escape when I open the back room door. Thankfully they never go far.

Good luck to you.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did go out and put up posters. We live in a very wooded/shrubby area and there are lots of places for him to hide. I have always gone out and called for him every hour and shook his food can. Unfortunately if I put a bowl of salmon or tuna out, I would have about 10 cats on my front porch. I will just keep trying and praying that he is all right and will be home soon.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

So you go out at around 9 pm or 5 am. You shake the treat bag if that is what he is used to. You call softly so not to scare him. You put out a litterbox he has recently used so he recognizes smells. You put the tuna or salmon or sardines out on the porch. So what if you feed a few other kitties. If you get your kitty back it's worth it, right? You have to try these things or kitty may not come back. Walk the neighbourhood at 9 and 5. Check sheds, under the house, everywhere it's possible for the cat to get under or in. If he's wearing an ecollar it's possible it's stuck on something and he can't get away.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM

What I was saying about the food was that their would be nothing there for him to smell. They would have it eaten before the smell ever got to him, unless I sat there with it. One thing that I haven't told you is that I have arthritis and can't get down to look under things. I also have a bad foot. I am doing my best, but I am just afraid that he is stuck somewhere. Does anyone know if a cat can get out of one of those collars in a situation like this?
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Kitty pimp

every cat i ever had to do that to mangaed to get it off

good luck
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM

That helps some. If I know that he can get that collar off, that gives me some hope. If he does get the collar off, there is no doubt in my mind that he will come home. I just hope he isn't stuck with it one somewhere.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Kitty pimp

wheredo u live iso/ Mybe we can find you some help tolook
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I live in Wash state in the NW in a small town.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Actually, outside of a small town called Concrete.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good idea Jim. Is there someone who can help you look that the cat trusts? Even if you go out early in the morning when it is quiet. You may be able to hear him crying.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM

He won't go to anyone else, but most everyone around here isn't home during the day because most work, and the people that are around now. I could see if anyone is willing to do that, but the people I live around aren't very trustworthy, that is why we have our house up for sale.
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

isomycat,the problem is,with the collar on he is also almost defense-less,you have to listen for every sound,once the night falls..
My cat managed to get his collar off after he had surgery,also managed to pull his stitches.
Don't give up on the little guy
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:09 PM

I'll never give up on him. My sister had a cat come home after 6 months. This is different thought because of the collar and surgery. Just keep him is all of your prayers. I know that if he doesn't come home that God is watching over him. But I will never give up on his coming home. The only problem with that will be if we do sell and move. That is a big problem, but I won't dwell on that now.
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Keep watching and do put out the tuna or salmon. You never know if it is your cat that will get to it first.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM

I will try that around 5 pm. That is the time that I usually got home from work and he would come out to see me. Hopefully he is aware enough to know that it is around that time and come home. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I'm telling myself that he will be home and he got that collar off, so I just need to convince myself that is the way it is. My husband called and seems to be in a good mood for his birthday since all of his family and kids called so that's great. I will try to make the rest of his day as happy.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM

He's Home!!

I went looking for my kitty and couldn't find him but was out and went all over. I had just come back to the house and was telling my husband that I can't look anymore and Scruffy comes running to the house, jumps at the closed door and hides in the blackberry brier. He stayed there and I was able to grab him by the scruff of his neck and hand him to my husband. He is back home safe and sound. I still haven't been able to see his foot but the swelling is down. Thanks for all the prayers.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:35 PM

He still had the collar on, but it was off as soon as I could take it off. When I was looking for him, I called and shook his food can. Thanks for all the suggestions also.
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Mickey, my angel

That was a scary situation with him being out there somewhere with that collar on.

I'm so happy to hear that Scruffy is home safe and sound
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Slave to the Kitties

I am glad scruffy is home.
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Senior Contributor

That is the bestest news ever!!! *jumping up and down* I'm so happy for u and Scruffy!!! I love happy endings!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whew!! What a relief!

for the rest of his convalescence to be uneventful! Speedy healing, Scruffy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I am glad he is home. How's his foot?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Love this kind of news
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

He is doing great. We took the collar off of him when we got him in the house and he cleaned his foot right away. He wouldn't let us look at it or clean it so we let him do it. The foot looks fine with some swelling yet, but it doesn't seem to be hurting him as much. He is able to at least walk on it. The drain that they put in it fell out, so the vet told us that they don't need to see him as long as he keeps healing. He hasn't even wanted to go outside today. We are just enjoying him being here with us. Thanks for all the prayers and encouragement that I got here. You guys are the best!!

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM
150% PRO S/N

So if your house is up for sale and you move are you planning on keeping him an indoor only cat at your new home? If not he will try to make his way back "home".
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wa friggin' hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad, I kept thinking of this poor kitty lost with an e-collar on.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM

I think he will be ok with being inside only. He was Ferrel, but he is in the house mostly now. But we have 2 others that spend a lot of time outside and we are torn about what to do with them. When it is cold out or rainy they spend all day in the house, but when it is nice out, they want to be out all day.