Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I'm hurt & sad...all we do is love them!!

Hello! We're desparate for some advice! We have 2 6yr old male, neutered, tabby's, from the same litter. My hubby had "the boys" before I came along 3 years ago, they all welcomed me with open arms and paws. My furniture etc I brought to the house didn't cause any trouble nor did the renos we did on our basment over the past year. They have been wonderful companions and converted me into a cat lover.
However, in the past 4 months one or both of them has started peeing on the furniture. (we have yet to catch the culprit). I believe it started after I let them outside for a brief moment on sunny day, when I became nervous I scooped them up to bring them inside, one of them (Chico) hissed at me. :sad: Like an idiot who has never had cats before I did it again, hissed again. Shortly after, I was outside, on the other side of the screen door, I came inside to find sometime during the day/evening one/or both pooped on an armchair and peed on the couch. I was soooo upset! I felt angry and very hurt by this, we have done nothing but love them! We realized they had peed on a wooden chair, a leather stool and a floor mat....not sure when, we don't use the basement in the summertime very much.We have the patio door open for fresh air. They then peed on the furniture (couch and loveseat) in the familyroom upstairs):sad:
They continued to pee on the couch (I probably didn't get the smell out), we took the cushions off (garbage), they peed on the base. One more episode of poop on the armchair. Needless to say we got rid of the couch and chair last week, purchased new cushions for the furniture upstairs...with plastic under the cushion covers of course! sounds great.
Alas, I put lawnchairs in the basement.....1 week later both are gone now....I figure there were pillows that had the scent and they used them for their litterbox.One pillow was saturated.
They've both got a clean bill of health since this started, both are affectionate and receive attention and lots of love (we don't have kids).
I know when something has happened as Chico gets a little weird, stand-offish, then he's fine. Omar, the other cat has never been phased by anything, he's a big lovable lug.
Litterboxes (2) are cleaned twice a week (like it's always been), boxes are big enough for their size, no change in litter, it's been the same since they were brought home. They eat well and drink lots of water....
It's putting quite a strain on our home life, considering we're newly weds that's not cool.....
I'm thinking of putting them in a smaller room with food, water and litter boxes.....then expanding the room in a day or so??? Any thoughts on that? I read it and was told they may need some retraining???
We would really appreciate any advice,(I'm so new to cats,) we don't know what to do!!
I'm new to the forum/chat thing...so I apologize for the lengthy msg.....
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Secondly, the cats are not 'doing' this to you...it has nothing to do with them getting even or neglecting your love and attention. They do not have the capacity intellecutally to do things against you.

You say that you clean the litter boxes twice a week. Do you scoop them out everyday, twice a day? If not - try this. Buy new litter boxes, it could be that the plastic is all stinky. Sometimes cats perfer enclosed litter boxes while others perfer open. Try one of each. Also, ensure to clean the areas of 'relief' with cleaner specifically to remove the odour (I forget the name..Natural something or other). Any differences in the food they are eating? Did anything other than letting them outside change? Did you bring them to the vet since the outing?

There are amazing cat savvy people here that will have advice for you. Don't give up and don't think that this is a 'cat vendetta'.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm no expert, but from reading your thoughts on when this first occured - are there any neighbor cats or strays that your cats could've possibly seen while outside, or see now from a window?

Usually this behavior is a sign that something is stressing your cat out, and that they are upset. If the litterbox isn't the issue, and they have a clean bill of health, you might want to start considering that one or both of your cats are frustrated at not being able to go outside, especially if they were able to smell a female cat in the vicinity that was in heat. (Even though they are neutered, some male cats still have the 'male mentality' and will react to a female).

Here is a great site that discusses cat soiling at more length.

http://www.tallyville.com/litterboxhelp.html

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to our Forum!
My cats used to spray and although it has not completely stopped,maybe now it happens only twice/week.
I used Natures Miracle,which is quiet expensive,but now i mix my own descenter,a recipe given by one of our members.

Mix together: 1 cup water,1/4 cup vinegar,1/4 cup rubbing-alcohol,it works.

Cats are very sensitive to any changes,since you were renovating,maybe there is something that stressed them,are they able to see strange cats outside?? That's what triggered my 3 boys..

Litter-boxes need to be cleaned out at least once a day,preferably twice,cats are very clean little guys,don't like dirty litter.
Otherwise I really don't know what to suggest,you clearly love your cats,hopefully someone else will give you better advice.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Definetly clean the litter pans every day, my cat Bear will poop and pee on the floor if it isnt.
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Lots of good advice! One thing I am curious about. When you put them out did you have a harness on them? Did you stay out with them? I shudder to think of what would have happened if one of them may have panicked and taken off.

The outside incidents may well have set one or both of them off. Or, while you say it didn't bother them, the renos. Are their litter boxes in the same spot or did they get moved? At six years old if they have been health checked recently then I would think it's either being outside, sensing another cat or cats, stress from the renos, litterbox either being too small, too dirty, too smelly, they have gone off the litter used or they are not where they are supposed to be.

My boxes are scooped probably three or four times a day with five cats in the house. If I had only one or two in the house they would be scooped twice daily. So far, knock on wood, everything is ok. I would think if they are doing urinating and defecating that the issue is the box(es).

You could try replacing the whole box. With two cats it's a good idea to have at least two boxes, possibly three. I use under the bed storage boxes in the catuary. They are big and roomy for the cats to move around and get comfy in. Personally I would not recommend covered boxes. I don't find many like to use them. You could use a different litter to see if it will attract them back to the box. You could clean the boxes on a more frequent basis. You could try to put the boxes back where they were previously or as near to it as possible.
You could put the kitties in a small room with their boxes to try to retrain them after you have tried everything else but to me if you do it now you are not going to get to the bottom of what is bothering them.

Chico (our forum member, not yours or her cat) gave you a great recipe for cleaning the spots they have used before. You can pick up a cheap black light to make sure you have cleaned every spot and there is no trace left after you have cleaned.

There is also a litter out there called Cat Attract. If you can track that down it may help you as well.
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterbox/fr/catattract.htm

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Oh, and pics would be nice.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome!

Have you taken these cats to the vet? inappropriate peeing is usually a sign there could be a medical issue? Cats dont purposly target your furniture and things??

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Welcome!

Have you taken these cats to the vet? inappropriate peeing is usually a sign there could be a medical issue? Cats dont purposly target your furniture and things??

Cindy
Winston, yep, she took them to the vet and they are fine.

You've gotten some great advice. Nothing I can add except welcome and good luck with your boys.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sounds like you really care for your kitties.

You mentioned the kitties hissing when you had them outside, don't take that personally, it could be a reaction to being scared or they smelled another kitty and it was redirected aggression. Snowball, who I was extremely close to as he was to me, would hiss at me when he got stressed outside. Just their way of communicating.

Kitties who go to the bathroom outside the litter box for a few reasons:

Mark their territory
Something has stressed them and they don't want to use the box anymore
Illness

You have ruled out illness.

Do they sometimes use the box? or can you tell if one is using and the other isn't?

You mentioned construction. Was the area where their box was housed before construction changed? Could something have scared the kitties while one was using it and now associates the box with the fear. If you can put a box in a whole different area of the house that may work to convince the kitty to reuse the box. I do think you should throw out any existing ones and get new ones so they don't associate the actual box to the incident. One covered, one uncovered in case one wants to be able to observe what is happening around him and a covered one just incase the other doesn't like it uncovered.

Do you know if there are any male cats hanging around your area outside? I know if there is one around my house (I live in the country so I get unneutered males alot), Jasper will be desparate to get outside to spray, if he doesn't he will spray my couches (yes, he is neutered). Did your hubby have any problems with spraying for this?

Like BenMax stated, don't take it personally, it is not. Something happened for them to have this change of habit.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Alot of times, cats that are using this behaviour, your cat is upset with you for some reason and this is there way of showing it. How much time do you spend with them daily. You may have time to do a quick snuggle, but cats love to be talked too. But to make sure that it is not more serious, you should contact your vet. Also as some of the others mentioned, make sure that you clean your litter daily. A few times a day. And please keep your cat indoors.

ACO22
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG I dont see anywhere that indicates the vet check has been done?? sorry but as ACO22 said they dont usually behave this way unless something is up? It may be behavioural or an illness.

Good Luck!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
AG I dont see anywhere that indicates the vet check has been done?? sorry but as ACO22 said they dont usually behave this way unless something is up? It may be behavioural or an illness.

Good Luck!

Cindy
It's like the 4th paragraph.

Quote:
They've both got a clean bill of health since this started, both are affectionate and receive attention and lots of love (we don't have kids).
I know when something has happened as Chico gets a little weird, stand-offish, then he's fine. Omar, the other cat has never been phased by anything, he's a big lovable lug.
Litterboxes (2) are cleaned twice a week (like it's always been), boxes are big enough for their size, no change in litter, it's been the same since they were brought home. They eat well and drink lots of water....
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy B. View Post
They've both got a clean bill of health since this started
Were blood and urine tests done on both of them? Was there also urine culture & sensitivity tests done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy B. View Post
Litterboxes (2) are cleaned twice a week (like it's always been), boxes are big enough for their size, no change in litter, it's been the same since they were brought home.
Litterboxes really should be cleaned after everytime they go.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 15th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Two litter boxes for two cats is the accepted norm but you might try 3 boxes. Some cats will poop in one, pee in another AND don't like to use another cat's box. Might not be a fix but fairly cheap thing to try?
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

The only other thing I can add is that when Willie, my oldest cat, sneaks outside and I pick him outside he will hiss and growl at me, but it's only because he does not want to come back in the house. I just tell him to behave and continue carrying him back into the house.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Catlover2

You've received excellent advice from L4H and others re scooping at least 2x/day, using "Cat Attract", having enough litter boxes etc. Unfortunately, one incident is enough to "set a male cat off" with inappropriate urination and defacation because of smelling other cats outside. Unfortunately they're feeding off each other now...one started peeing/pooping first which triggered the other! You could try isolating them in a room, and then let them out only under careful observtion when you can watch their every move. When you do see one using the box, lavish praise, could even follow with a treat. Hopefully with retraining, your cats will improve their behaviour, but never let or take them outside again. Hissing while outside is natural as your cat smelled other cats and felt uncomfortable or threatened.

Unfortunately, it's usually male or neutered cats, that will develop bad bathroom behaviour :sad:, not so common with females or spays. Altho females in heat will urinate or spray inappropriately.

I do hope you can get your guys straightened around ....unfortunately inappropriate elimination behaviour is the most common reason people give up their cats or dump them or even have them euthanized! Good luck! I wish you success!